It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS your political playground?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I was under the assumption that ATS was the leading site on the Net for alternative topics. More and more we see certain members posting their political views(shyte). Why? Are we reaching that many individuals that political BS has to be involved? I'm going out of my way here to NOT point fingers but it's getting increasingly obvious that there IS a political agenda active here. That's not neccesarily a bad thing but when it becomes obviouos that this person vs this person posting continues, it's accomplishing NOTHING. It just makes ATS an advertising site. Thanks guys, we're advertising ignorance, not denying it.

Would it be too much to ask if you could actually, after reading an opposing thought, to actually THINK about it? Before trying to debunk it? It might have merit.

What am I asking? That you hardliners THINK!!! If I get 1 person to think here, I'll be a happy guy.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If'n you don't mind, Intrepid, I'll throw my agreement in with you. It does get a little old watching a very interesting topic degenerate into a poo flinging contest.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Thanks seagull, it's good to know that I'm not the only one fatuiged by this nonsense. It pervades most forums, Aliens, Secret Societies, Political forums, etc. Bottom line, why not listen to what is said? Does it cost you anything? A little time maybe. At least think before you reply.

I'm saying that don't look for validation here, that's not the purpose of ATS but look for alternative thought, listen to it. Does it have merit? That's up to you.

You want validation of your vision of the world, go to the political site of your choice.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Some people need a 'sounding board' and some need to honestly vent their creativity.

We are ALL either on one end of the teeter totter with our opinions or somewhere in between.

I've found ATS to be an exceptional place to voice ones' opinions, and read thoughts/ideas other than my own. IMO.

It's a place that I know (in the 'free world) where one can explore subjects to max.

Political playground? Sometimes.

There will ALWAYS be people leaving posts who are 'more elaborate' or 'more condescending' or even 'more degenerate' in the majority of peoples minds, but this should not dissuade you from adding your 'peace of mind' to the threads in here.

As long as you are courteous to others, respect differentialities, and try not to meander away from the topic too much; people will view your 'side of the coin' in ways you never imagined.

Sometimes, it's not just 'WHAT' we say, but 'HOW' say it.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I personally prefer others to poke holes in my political views and attack them, I consider it constructive critism. Although not everyone intends to be constructive I find it educational how two people can see the same characters but read something entirely different. I look for people to express this so that I can see my thoughts and views about a subject from another perspective. It can sometimes be hard to find such a concentration of intellegent people outside of the forum. However, like any concentration of people you will always see them move into political camps of philosophy. People always seek out like minded individuals to prop themselves up in a position of power. With this you start to see what appears and eventually turns into Agenda's.

The biggest problem I see is that people often times forget that the entire point of a debate is to convince the opposition of the validity of your point of view, not flogging someone until they shutup. The only solution I see is a continued vigilance by yourself and your peers. I don't envy you, however, you do have my gratitude.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Thanks seagull, it's good to know that I'm not the only one fatuiged by this nonsense. It pervades most forums, Aliens, Secret Societies, Political forums, etc. Bottom line, why not listen to what is said? Does it cost you anything? A little time maybe. At least think before you reply.

And don't forget ATSNN.

Often, the this person vs that person so takes over the debate that comments by others are ignored or not even read.
I'm all for debate, but sometimes it is a bit tedious when the same points go on for many, many pages.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yet is that not the reason "Above Politics" was created in the first place?

In order for those of us that have an interest in Politics to post our thoughts and opinions in initial and follow-up mentations?

I can understand the consternation at two posters "Going AT" each other, but in many ways that is the essence of a good political debate.

I will say that having my first experience in a H2H, that is probably a better place for individuals to air that sort of conflict...

Semper

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Thanks for listening to my rant guys. It just gets so damn frustrating to read posts like, ".....I know this, I don't care what you members have to say". I mean, what can be accoplished with attitudes like that here?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Now that I will agree with Intrepid...

One of my favorite quotes is "A Closed Mind is an Empty Mind."

Semper

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Some of us need to understand that a change in stance is not a sign of weakness. It is a sign of strength. Being able to look at the facts right in the eye, understand that your views on the subject may be flawed, and then correcting them in ordinance with the new found information. You see some individuals posting some blatant ignorance, which may be politely followed up with some factual information that undermines their position. Rather than acknowledging the material and understanding their misguidedness, they simply move on with an ignorant, "I Don't Care!" or some other petty drivel that is a lame attempt to insult the author.

So again I say, the ability to change one's mind is a form of strength, not weakness. If you weigh the facts and still come down on the same side of the fence, so be it. That is your right and nobody is in any position to tell you otherwise. But if you fail to weigh the facts and continue to post your "thoughts", than that is where have a problem and, I believe, what intrepid is growing frustrated with.

If your willing to post an opinion, you should be willing to read others. At the end of the day, it is only we as the individual that is going to grow. When we as individuals grow, ATS will grow.

I initially read this a few days ago, and wasn't exactly sure what intrepid was getting at. But rereading it several times, and reading the follow up posts, it became quite clear and I agree.

Read the posts, weigh the facts, make a decision. But weigh the facts.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Never have I heard it put better!!!!

You have voted chissler for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

Now, if we can get a BUNCH of people to read it...

Semper

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
AP is my main outlet for political debate.
Intrepid the person A vs person B debates are a symptom of American politics. If you ever read threads in the Other Global Politics forum you may find that there is less of a you vs me debate. Of course much is depended on the subject
matter.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Thanks for listening to my rant guys. It just gets so damn frustrating to read posts like, ".....I know this, I don't care what you members have to say". I mean, what can be accoplished with attitudes like that here?

Nothing but longwinded, tit-for-tat exchanges, that result in ME, not even rubbernecking all that fun! It gets old, and in the end, like you say, nothing gets accomplished.

new topics

top topics

join