It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat Substitute A Hit IN PA. HIgh Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

It isn't mystery meat - it's more like mystery fat. And the kids in the Plum Borough School District have been eating it and liking it.

The secret ingredient is a plant-based fat substitute called Z Trim.
It's been in the school's popular ranch dressing for months, quietly reducing the fat and calories students are getting when they load up their salads and chicken with it.
"It's really good. Better than my ranch at home," says 16-year-old Juliann Sheldon, who used the dressing to top off her salad of lettuce, baby spinach, chunks of chicken and croutons.

The Plum Borough district in suburban Pittsburgh is believed to be the first school district in the country to use the fat substitute. School officials say the dressing's flavor is preserved, even though fat and calories are cut.

"Sometimes getting healthy foods into (students) isn't always the easiest thing to do, if they know about it," said Maryann Lazzaro, the district's food service manager and a registered dietitian.
The district began using the product 10 months ago, but just told the students about the switch Thursday.
"I think it tastes the same as it did before," said Tina DeLuca, 16.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

I'm glad to see that the schools/government are doing something
about the obesity epidemic, rather than just talking about doing
something.

This really does go to show that something can be healthy (or in
this case made healthy) without it tasting bad or changing flavour.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Olestra was one such fat substitute that never seemed to catch on. It may be alright in something as small as salad dressing but if you ingest too much the effects on you lower GI system is noteworthy.

My other concern is there is no mention if the school district informed parents of the use of the product? As a parent I would want to know if this was going on. I may not object, but I want to be informed at least.

join