It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Blade Raven would be proud of...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
For those that don't know, Raven is a fictional character in a novel called Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson. Only difference here is that he used mono molecular Glass blades rather than artificial sapphire.

blog.scifi.com...
It's not so much the fact that the handle on this knife is made from bone that has me worried… no, it's the artificial-sapphire blade that sets off the alarms. Or rather, it doesn't — since the knife has no metal in its construction, it won't set off any metal detectors, should an owner, say, try to bring it aboard a plane. The only substance harder than the scratchproof blade is diamond, so the knife needs a special diamond whitestone for sharpening. That might be a skippable accessory, though, since it seems likely that such a blade wouldn't need to be sharpened that often, unless the owner happens to be a really prolific terrorist… er, knife user.

In Snow Crash, the reason why Raven chose to use Glass blades was primarily due to the fact that they were invisible on Millimeter wave radar(in the novel, I'm not sure if that is true in reality). So I gotta wonder how will airport screeners be able to detect this?

join