It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Unravel Super Bug That Kills Within 24 Hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Scientists unravel superbug that kills in 24 hours
Add your view

Scientists have unlocked the secrets of a deadly superbug that attacks healthy young people and can kill within 24 hours.

The news is a vital first step in attempts to find a cure for the virulent disease, PVL-MRSA, that is highly resistant to current antibiotic treatments.

Already responsible for two deaths in Britain, experts fear we are in the early stages of an epidemic that could result in a massive death toll if the superbug took hold in hospitals.

The bug generally attacks the body through open wounds and can cause necrotising pneumonia, a disease that rapidly destroys lung tissue and is lethal in 75 per cent of cases.

Holy Moley

Folks, I think this is one in a long line of things that is to come. Regardless of whether this is mother nature striking out, or a planned illness, it is serious.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Eww..dirty bugs. I need a picture, I can't be walking around thinking mr.superbug could be on the floor than BAM...i'm dead!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21
Eww..dirty bugs. I need a picture, I can't be walking around thinking mr.superbug could be on the floor than BAM...i'm dead!

Antmax, actually I don't think you can actually see these "bugs." They are actually viruses.. The "Flu bug" would be a good example of what the article is referring to.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Thats odd,

My impression was that its a bacterial infection, not a virus.

Heres a little info on diagn osis and treatment.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Makeitso, there's so many different theories out there about diseases and crap,I don't know what's what. Hell, there's even a theory that cancer is a virus.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Here is a link from Wikipedia describing the "Virus Cancer" theory..

Virus Cancer?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
The viral orgini of SOMe cancers is actually very well founded. Do some research on oncogenes. Pretty well established that some viral infections can activate oncogenes. I've done it in the lab, as it's done on a daily basis in other labs, to create "immortal" cell lines, that is, cells that becomes cancerous and will divide for a very, very long time.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
PVL-MRSA is a bacterial infection, not a viral one. If you see MRSA, which refers to the antibiotic resistance, you can know that they're referring to a bacteria. Viruses aren't susceptible to antibiotics.

Some cancers are thought to be caused by viruses... not all.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Makeitso, there's so many different theories out there about diseases and crap,I don't know what's what. Hell, there's even a theory that cancer is a virus.

yes

cancer is contagious and is caused by viruses and bacteria....

why else do you think 566000 Americans are killed by cancer every year?

566000 killed not 56600 but 566000..thats a 1/2 a million...

if it became widely known cancer is contagious the mass panic would ruin the economy...

look at all that *snip* over bird flu....

Mod Edit: Please don't circumvent the censors.

[edit on 2007/1/21 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Virues like the HPV human papillomavirus can make cells precancerous and thus lead to cervical cancer. Other viruses like Epstein Barr (which leads to lymphoma) etc, etc.

Viruses linked to cancers in humans are the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), associated with lymphomas and nasopharyngeal cancer, hepatitis B virus (HBV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV), both associated with cancer of the liver, human papillomaviruses (HPV), associated with cancer of the cervix, human T lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1) and type 2 (HTLV-2), associated with adult T-cell leukemia and with hairy-cell leukemia, respectively, and human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8), associated with Kaposi sarcoma. No vaccine exists against these viruses except HBV. This chapter will describe vaccines under development against EBV, HCV and HPV.
Viral Cancers

However not every cancer is caused by a virus

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum

cancer is contagious and is caused by viruses and bacteria....

why else do you think 566000 Americans are killed by cancer every year?

566000 killed not 56600 but 566000..thats a 1/2 a million...

if it became widely known cancer is contagious the mass panic would ruin the economy...

[edit on 2007/1/21 by Hellmutt]

I once heard,I don't know how well founded it is, that fifty percent of the population develops some sort of cancer at one time or other in their life... I don't know how true that estimate is,but that is what I heard somewhere...

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

I once heard,I don't know how well founded it is, that fifty percent of the population develops some sort of cancer at one time or other in their life... I don't know how true that estimate is,but that is what I heard somewhere...

That sounds about right to me, there are alot of cancers that people never know they have and some are relatively harmless.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Regarding Cancer...

I am not an expert but I have had it twice, so I have learned a lot about it over the years.

Two things:

Cancer is a category of disease, not a single one. Some are known to be viral, some are known to be caused by chemicals (carcinogens), and some are unexplained. An example of a viral is cervical cancer from HPV, which is why they can now vaccinate you for HPV and thus cervical cancer.

Cancer is very common and in many cases can simply be dealt with by the bodies own defenses. My immune system attacked both tumors I had and the doctors removed them because it was the side effects of my immunoresponse that was causing real problems, not the cancer.

top topics

join