It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist shot dead in Istanbul for speaking of genocide.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   

ISTANBUL, Turkey (CNN) -- A prominent Turkish-Armenian journalist who spoke out against the killings of Armenians by the Ottoman Empire early last century was shot to death Friday, according to CNN Turk.

Hrant Dink, 53, editor of the Armenian-Turkish language weekly Agos newspaper, was shot dead in front of the Istanbul publication as he was leaving.

Authorities are looking into a lead that he was shot four times by a young man who appeared to be 18 or 19 years old.

Described as a "well-known commentator on Armenian affairs," Dink has faced a number of cases in connection with "insulting" the Turkish state for his writings.

For those familiar with the issue concerning the genocide of Armenians you will probably know this journalist.

Turkey denies to be responsible for the terrific genocide and acknowledging
has already resulted in captivity of several people. According to the Turkish state, they insult ''Turkishness''.

Now we've reached the point that acknowledging a genocide, that is widely acknowledged as such, results in a political homicide.

Turkey wants to join the European Union badly, how could the EU ever grant access to a country that denies a genocide.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Maybe they should make it illegal to deny the Turkish Holocaust and they would get admitted immediately.

Just so this want classify as a one liner I will add to my post. This is incredible the hypocrisy in the world. Kill a few million Christians and its illegal to talk about it. Kill a few million Jews and its illegal to discuss the actual numbers killed. Both were wrong I just think the Armenian Holocaust should not be relegated to the backroom of politics.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by arius]

new topics

join