It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How can someone prove to you they have time traveled?"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
i have the one answer, bring back jesus christs dna, so we could clone him when the technology comes available.

the only answer that would work, christs dna, with blood sample.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
onthedeck, let me toss something back at you. Let's say you are living in the year 3600 and time travel is a reality. knowing how screwed up our world is and knowing that you cannot do anything to fix that while you are here, why would you want to come back?

please don't say you need a component from an atari 2600 or some other titorish nonsense.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You said,

What if the time traveler took you with him "Back to the Future"?

This is without a doubt the easiest (and most popular?) to convince one individual. As far as I'm concerned, taking a person and putting them in the time machine is case closed proof.

In fact, if there were a time machine I would jump right in (providing it's been tested as safe and fool proof).

If I wanted, however, to prove to a large number of people that I had time traveled, what else could I do.

I know this is probably irritating people, but is it possible to prove to a large number of people that an individual time traveled without taking millions of people into a time machine?

jbondo, by the way, are you offering to go? hehe You never know...

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
i have the one answer, bring back jesus christs dna, so we could clone him when the technology comes available.

the only answer that would work, christs dna, with blood sample.

that is assuming he existed. what if he didn't?

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnTheDeck
I'm posing this seriously, so please respond in kind.

They could explain in a reasonable and verifiable manner how the device works.

They could give an accurate and detailed description of future events. Clearly, though, what is 'accurate' is subjective in such a matter.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
See, andy1033, this is the problem with proving it to one person.

That person could testify to his experiences, but in the movie Contact, how many of those people on the committee in the end believed her, even as sincere and credible as a scientist she was?

This is why there must be a way to prove you time traveled on a larger scale.

Thanks, andy1033!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
jbondo, an experiment is also an excellent suggestion. This is also an area where people can direct their thoughts.

What sort of an experiment could you, the time traveler, set up to prove your case to a large number of people?

I don't have a specific experiment in mind, but this is a very interesting point.

Keep it going!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Your time travel experiment couldn't involve you and the Grandfather's Paradox. That would be more of an experiment you pay with yourself. lol And I don't think anyone would want to kill themself to find out lol

But this experiment train of thought might net something...

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
yep but if you brought back christs dna, adn we cloned him, and he indeed have powers and access to these fascinating things, people would believe you. ok it might take along time to prove, but its the only answer they could give.

the fact that there are no people like him on earth today, would bring attention to your course, and it would be hard to show that he is lying, if he could do what they believe he did, and no one should be able to stop him in theory.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
before i even told this person about myself being able to time travel i would make sure we were both together for an hour having a chat and a coffee obviously this would be somewhere private. Once we had finished i would say my goodbye and leave them.

I would then get into my time machine and take myself back to the beginning of that hour. I would then enter the room were myself and this person was. Obviously the other me sitting having a coffee is not surprised at all this was no shock to him this was his/my intention from the moment it was decided to have a coffee and a chat with this person.

This other person then being confronted with 2 of me both of us explaining the details of time travel would i suppose have no option but to believe me/us

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Here is my opinion about time and time travel. It is my opinion and I do not represent the following as the real explanation; only my opinion. While others may have the same opinion that does not mean it is the real explanation and in fact may be totally false. Others may have a totally different explanation which is totally different from my opinion and may, in fact, be the real explanation. They may be correct and I may be totally wrong. I am only representing the following as an "opinion" not the real explanation, if in fact a real explanation exists. And, it is a fact, that a real explanation may exist that is totally different from my explanation and it is possible, even probable that it is totally different from mine and that I am in complete error in my understanding, an understanding which I am only representing here as 'an opinion'.

My opinion of time.

Time travel is possible both forward and back.

The speed of time is inversely proportional to the gravitational flux (flux meaning intensity); this means the stronger the gravitational flux (or intensity) the slower time passes.

If you create a strong gravitational force around yourself or your vehicle time would slow down or come nearly to a stop for YOU. But for those outside the gravitational source, time would flow as normal. When you turned off your gravitational source, time would start flowing again but you would be flowing along in the time that had always been flowing since you turned on your gravitational source.

Going back in time is infinately more difficult but it can be done. We can 'see' back in time much easier than we can travel back in time.

Regarding the paradox, "If you go back in time and kill your father will you still be here?" the answer is 'yes'. You will still be here because time is 'compartmentalized'. Once it happens it can't be changed but you still can go back 'there'.

Time itself is a paradox to our way of thinking. We think of time as flowing from beginning to end. But thats not how it works. We are taught nonsense such as "everything started with the big bang". We are taught this because its easier for us to understand and there is no need for us to know anything more than this at this point in our development.

We are taught this nonsense because at our present level of understanding we could not grasp the concept of what time really is so we are given something easier to understand such as "time started with a big bang 16 billion years ago". Like I said, this is total nonsence.

Time has always existed and always will exist. There is no beginning and no end. That time MUST have had a beginning and there must be a 'finite' edge or end to the universe is a human concept to give us the 'security' of a beginning and an end. But thats not how it works and we'll just have to settle for that answer for the 'time being'.

I have no proof for the above opinion. It is an opinion only. There are several 'sources' for the above opinion but they have asked to remain anonymous and I respect that request. And further I will not identify who they may be if in fact they may be anybody. And in fact, my sources, whoever they may be, may, in fact, be totally wrong. I am not representing that my sources are correct, only that they are my sources.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

"How can someone prove to you they have time traveled?"

Incredibly simple, if they can go forward also...

Have them take a picture with a newspaper cover of a week from now.
Come back, post it online, then verify once it comes out.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wildbob77, your conclusion is that you can't prove that you have time traveled, but if you take an individual and time travel with them in your device I'm sure you could convince them.

You speculated that you could not prove it to a large number of people with the scenarios you presented, which I see is a correct observation - and that also makes prediction events difficult as absolute proof - but I would disagree.

I just haven't thought of a way yet, but that doesn't mean it's not there...taunting us...lol

Thank you, Wildbob77!!

If something strikes you, though, as you're thinking about this, please post it! Thank you!!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
yep but if you brought back christs dna, adn we cloned him, and he indeed have powers and access to these fascinating things, people would believe you. ok it might take along time to prove, but its the only answer they could give.

the fact that there are no people like him on earth today, would bring attention to your course, and it would be hard to show that he is lying, if he could do what they believe he did, and no one should be able to stop him in theory.

for starters, assuming christ was an actual living person at one time and assuming he had the ability to do the things that he has been associated with, what makes you think his clone would be able to do them (sheesh this is getting silly)? Ok, assuming god exists and christ was the son of god, then you'd have to assume the soul exists as well. can you clone a soul? no, you'd make a replica of him but it wouldn't be the son of god, it would be a dude who looked like jesus.

and imagine the smiting you'd get when you try and extract some DNA from the son of god.

while the concept of time travel is silly enough, adding into it the idea of cloning biblical figures that might not have ever lived would be compounding the silliness.

It would be cool to go back to that era and see for yourself how the events depicted in the bible actually happened. Hell, it would be a blast to bounce around the past and see all the things that we assume to have happened.

First stop for me? Plato. I want to know the whereabouts of Atlantis and pop in and see if the burg is all it's cracked up to be.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Mr. Lear, I've never seen anyone use as many disclaimers as you did in giving us that post. I agree that, in the event that one could travel thru time, he couldn't go back, kill his grandfather and, therefore, cease to exist. I do find the idea of being able to see yourself in the past, via time travel, to be a bit difficult as well.

Of course, I always had logistical issues with movies and books that involved time travel. This was always one factor. The other factors are always more of the impossible plot issues. Sarah Conner getting knocked up by the man her son sent back to protect her is impossible because the boy would never have existed if the guy from the future didn't come back to protect, and knock up, the mother.

Disclaimer: the thoughts above are my opinions and not the opinions of anyone here at ATS. All persons, living, dead or undead are pieces of the imaginary fabric that stretches across my mind. Any similarities to persons living, dead or undead is merely coincidental.

or is it?

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You'd probably be better off talking to Solon to find Atlantis (assuming you spoke ancient Egyptian)...

Wasn't Christ's DNA clone (i.e. twin) named "James"?
He wasn't near as handy at parties when the wine ran out, or so I hear....

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Crakeur- we do not know if he would have the same soul or not, or even have a soul. it comes down to whether we are just our bodies or do we have a thing like a soul and how does that effect us.

alright to the thread starter get yourself a camcorder and go and film christ giving one of his sermons and maybe doing some tricks, most today would not even understand his language so it would be hard to say it was a forgery.

so there you go, film jesus giving a sermon, speak to all the other people you can to get them to speak in there native tongue, and come back and show us.

follow jesus around for the last year of his life, and make 500 hours worth of video. come back and show us.

who the hell, would fake 500 hours of video of an exstint language speaking culture. would be very hard to forge 500 hours of people speaking in there natural tongues.

now that would prove to people. imagine if you could get 500 hourrs of that stuff translated

[edit on 19-1-2007 by andy1033]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
andy, that gives me a great idea.

go back and film jesus at a frikin seder, celebrating passover. Get him on film doing all the things he, as a jew, would do.

then sit mel gibson down and show him the tape and punch him in the mouth.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
A paradox within a paradox.

Personally I don't think time travel is possible. At least to the past. The reason for this, is that it would be impossible to go back let's say one year in time. If it were possible, that theoretically I would be able to meet myself.

Now suppose I did meet my past self, and did'nt like him and killed him. Since I am still me, and the only me, I would be dead, and could not be here in the future to travel back in time to kill myself, because I would already be dead by my future self's hand.

Kind of like a catch-22.

Perhaps travelling forward in time would work, with no such conflicts. But of course, we would never be able to return to "now".

So no, I don't believe it is possible to prove time travel.

I'm sure if time travel were possible there would be rules associated with it and the probably wouldn't let just anyone go.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
No, Crakeur, you misunderstood. I wasn't saying those things are all real.

I was saying that if you predicted something, there would be people who would think you were able to predict it because you had psychic ability and not necessarily a time traveler. Does that make sense?

In other words, in some people's minds one thing does not necessarily support (or mean) the other...

I DID like your suggestion,

Say I show up at CNN's offices and I say " I am going to tell you every single sports score for every single event tonight. I will also give you the powerball numbers for every lottery in every state tonight and, just to show I have the answers from the future, I also will tell you the headlines of 5 major newspapers in 5 major cities of your choice"

But you wouldn't get through security. Again, we're trying to provide a real, practical way to prove this.

I would LOVE to have someone just walk on CNN, but that resistance and sort of obstruction is something our idea will have to circumvent. Unfortunately, our media sucks.

You think a prediction on the CNN set is going to sway people, but I say it won't, because they'll just see it as a prediction and not proof of time travel per se...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join