It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How can someone prove to you they have time traveled?"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
All this talk about bringing back history books that detail major events and the day on which they happen would be out of the question for a 'time traveler'.

Would it not?

Take this for example: This future history book details how, as one poster suggested early in this thread, the next major stock market crash. Well, now every individual who looks at this text now knows that the stock market will be coming down suddenly and violently; they now buy and sell accordingly and, for these individuals and all of those whom they affect in the process, history is effectively changed.

Little events -such as one person who would have experienced extreme poverty during a stock crash suddenly experiencing extreme wealth- have a major and unforeseeable effect on the future.

With one action fueled by an advanced knowledge the future lives of many could and most likely would change.

So isn't something like a history text out of the question?

Just my uninformed .2

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Your question is excellent!

It's not "the" question of the thread, but it's darn good. While people are thinking of their proof, I'll respond with a quess.

Since you already did the time traveling, and have access to this technology and information you don't need proof.

If I were the one time traveling I would try to prove it to a large number of people, if not the planet, because I want you to "know" about it.

I want to get the truth out there - because if there's time travel technology, there's also everything else that goes along with it. Anything you can literally imagine.

It's a selfless motivation, and obviously done out of a connection and compassion for the human race.

For a time traveler, fame is no longer a concern. If anything, that need for affection (i.e., lack of self-confidence or self worth) has been recognized for the ephemeral and damaging phenomena it really is. How many "times" and how many places can you go to - repeatedly - simply to receive recognition for revealing this technology before that wears thin?

This motivation would be from a deeper place, and it's a place where we're all connected, valued, and loved.

If someone time travels and seeks fame they can do that, but think really hard and ask yourself if this technology - a technology that manipulates the fabric of the universe - is given these people.

Also, if someone wants to time travel for nefaious purposes they would not endeavor to "tell everyone about it" let alone prove it (besides, it's my understanding that these individuals are blocked from carrying out these selfish and damaging acts).

So you're left with a selfless motivation to share your reality in my estimation.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by OnTheDeck]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Not to go all 'Star Trek' on you, but should Time Travel ever be possible, I do believe there would be some effect on Space.
There would be ways of detecting this, i'm sure, but I guess it's a matter of not knowing because not looking.
I would also be inclined to think that there would be come form of radition or 'cosmic residue' that would be detectable.

Is there a way to prove it?
Very probably. The irony would be the person from the future would probably have to bring the equipment with them so you can't be 100% sure everything is kosher.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
onthedeck,

you originally asked how a traveller could prove it to you. I think the answers given by everyone would be sufficient to convince an individual.

In taking that original question to the next step, how does the traveller prove it to the world, well, doing the same thing on a vastly public scale. Media outlets etc.

a text book with exact ocurrances would not be open for interpretation. Let's say the book had a section on the natural disasters. Would an earthquake in japan with a 9.0 magnitude be open for interpretation? What about a tsunami or a class 6 hurricane with specific dates for when and where it hits?

I understand you want to play devil's advocate here and try and find was to discredit the ideas but these types of events, or sports scores, or any other hard data would not be open to interpretation. Could you say the Mets might not have won 3-2 in a game? Could you say that, while the Richter Scale read 9.0 for the earthquake in Tokyo on the 20th of February, 2007, the actual date, location or magnitude are open for debate?

More curious to me would be how could someone go back in time and then return to prove it.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
You said,

I can tell you this, if someone gave me the lotto numbers for every state for say 5 days straight....Well, I'm pretty convinced that he's a time traveler.

This is a predictive thing. To me, how would receiving lottery numbers and winning several times prove the person who gave them to you traveled time?

This seems a place again where someone could have an ability - or even a spirit or ET that provided this information to them. People can think of many possibilities to debunk this as proof of time travel (as much as I would LOVE those lotto numbers!).

You also said,

Also the lightning strike in BTTF! Telling me to go to a certain spot and witness something like a lightning strike. Maybe a psychic could predict a place within so many miles or a time within so many hours but to predict an exact time and point of impact? Difficult....

Again, could this infromation be obtained by a psychic, by meditation, or someone in contact with spirits/aliens? Think of how someone might debunk this.

You said,

Another issue is the time traveler may be coming from another place than earth.

This is an item that would have to be cleared up when proof was offered naturally. We need to know it's Earth.

You said,

Titor was very good and there have been few to match his ability to fool the masses.

Titor was interesting, but he didn't prove it conclusively. He said a lot, but it's clear proving his claim wasn't his goal.

We want to know what evidence is bullet proof.

Thank you, jbondo, for adding meaningfully to this discussion!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i think time traveling may have an effect on the collective. like if you time traveled and only changed your life, how would that effect the human mind collective.

experiences that only include you do not matter, it is when we interact with others that true memories occur, so how would all that change.

i believe each and every one of lifes are half destiny half free will. if you change one bit in your life you may not change your destiny at all, your life may have a way of balancing out what was supposed to have happened. do not try to think to linear, when i say destiny, we can all get to the same point, and go in many different directions.

people ahve said give us a book on earthquakes or something. the thing is we do not know how human conscience interacts with reality and how powerful the collective human mind is.

a good example of the sport book thing is that lets give a good example of what we have today. if a sports star or team, get a prediction from someone that they believe to be a good sensitive, how does that change the teams or players attitude to the sport they are doing, and if you told there opposition what effect does it have on them. remember loads of sports stars are supersticious, and are always looking for omens. just by the fact that there thought pattern has changed in regard to what they are going to do, has changed the event. just watch minority report and you will understand. people do not want to believe they are not making there own choices, remember how that film goes.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by andy1033]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The way they would prove it, in my mind would be perhaps if they bought back a living Dodo, or another creature that we have made extinct, like a Mammoth.

Then I would believe they had a time machine.

Oh a sonic screwdriver or a TARDIS would also work as proof

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
OK, for you alone, the item you mentioned "could" prove to "you" that someone had seen your future, but does that mean they time traveled?

You said,

For me you would proberly have to write me a letter saying excatly what was going to happen in my life for the next week or two. Although I wasn't allowed to open the letter until a said date thus not allowing me to change my decisions depending on what you told me.

Sealing the letter until the date of the event would be a strong way to prove to you that the events were "predicted" accurately, but it would only be for you.

Also, we're up against the same question, which is couldn't this be explained as a prediction, and not necessarily be proof of time travel?

You asked,

Also by the way is this a therotical question or have you time travelled? What going to happen with me and my ex girlfriend tonight at dinner?

I won't joke and say I have. I have not, to my knowledge. I am asking this question on behalf of someone else.

If you asked them if they time traveled they would say yes, but we aren't at that point yet. They do not have proof, only their memories.

They want to know, I presume, for if/when the opportunity arises again, so they know what they might be able to provide for everyone else.

You said,

However I think that someone would always have trouble prooving things like this to masses.

This is what we're investigating. I like J. Krishnamurti's caution against starting from a conclusion (in other words, starting with a belief or conclusion you hold as self-evident, or immutable). Just because it at first appears difficult doesn't mean it's impossible...

You added,

there would always be people who would suggest that the video of your proof was faked or the pictures of proof were faked.

You're exactly right, which means these items (photo/video) may not be our answer.

You said,

I think to proove to the masses you would have to go around everyone in the world individually, having a time machine at least you'd have the time.

There are 6.5 billion people on this planet. You would have time, but would you have the energy? lol

This should be possible with one person; however, I won't rule out possibilities for proof invoving more people...

Alan, thank you very much for your answer and your comment!!

I like this question. And if there's a chance that we hit upon something and someone comes forward with that thing that woud be great!

Imagine sitting down yourself and trying to prove this...We're helping you out time traveler!

Alan, please feel free to come back with more!!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
The way they would prove it, in my mind would be perhaps if they bought back a living Dodo, or another creature that we have made extinct, like a Mammoth.

imagine the world's surprise when you show up on cnn with your pet stegasaurus.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OnTheDeck

I think I can see where you might be coming from, though...Are you saying that if you were going to bet on the opposite team, but didn't because of the "new" information that you are changing your reality?

I'm not sure what you mean, but simply using information you were giving "could" affect the future, but that's not the question.

It's an interesting point, and we can talk about that later, but I want to get "proof".

Thank you, Frakkerface! Let's keep probing...

Yes my post was on a bit of a tangent. I meant that surely if someone was coming from the future and they gave you say a winner of a horse race, if you betted on that horse (and presuming you wouldnt have betted at all otherwise), the act of you betting would affect the odds, you would win money etc...the future would be different, not just your reality but the reality of the whole world, for example, you would have the winnings (possibly a lot) so you would possibly do different activities than you would've other wise, such as going out for a fancy meal or getting drunk at the pub...and like wise, your bet might change the odds of the race so any other winners might get less money back, perhaps those winners would also have different actions than they would've of they'd won more money, like not having such a fancy meal, or perhaps betting on another horse to make up more money, perhaps they lost everything on the next horse, which might make them go bankrupt in the near future whereas if they had won more (without your interference) they might have used it to start up a company & get very rich. The point was that small actions that are changed from the future would lead on to a massive web of other consequences that might have changed the course of history (or future i guess would be more appropriate), possibly to such an extend that time travel wouldnt be invented - you know, perhaps winning the race means that you dont bump in to a girl on a train who perhaps would've become your future wife who gives birth to a son, who then wouldve gone on to give birth to the person who invents time travel...just the very act of you missing that train & bumping in to the stranger COULD have drastic consequences.

But then there is the problem that if someone came back & the above scenario did happen (change of the future), would it be possible that the time traveller ceased to exist in the future because of your consequences or that course of events already have been accounted for? What would happen in the time travellers time (when he came from) is something drastically changed? This is what i mean by asking is all of the future is already written. I guess thats a pretty hard question regarding free will and causation.

I guess Back to The Future is a better way to explain it, when they have to get the book because it changes the future and the past. Would people 'erase out'?

And the very act of a time traveller being there would change things (potentially), even if they didnt give sports results or anything. Maybe someone would see them and think they were an angel or alien, that might cause them to go reseaching religion or ufo...changing their life and many others lives in the process.

Sorry, i wish i could explain this better.

But the real point i was making (i'll get there soon
) was that you were to bring proof the proof would need to be something that wouldnt mess up the course of the future.

Perhaps music would do? ifthey played you an album of say U2 from 20 years ahead, you would know it was proof when that album eventually came out. That said, it would only be subjective proof for you, you wouldnt be able to prove to anyone else.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
imagine the world's surprise when you show up on cnn with your pet stegasaurus.

yep, but what about parellel time lines, what happens if you never get back to the right one.

you would only have one chance to prove it, as the government(nsa) would be down on you in a flash.

Frakkerface, only through interaction with others can you change different outcomes, what thats saying if someone does not interact with people. DOES THAT PERSON EXIST(i suppose is like saying does a tree falling in an empty forest amke a noise). also your analogy of the horse race is not exactly right. you can bet large amounts on a horse race and not change the odds that much, admittidly you may not be able to do it byyourself, but it has been done, i.e betting on horses with large amounts and not changing the overall odds. do you know that large races often attract millions on course, just on one race.

all the stuff to do with how events change, has to do with the whole human mind on this planet. events create energy in terms of memories, and the more public the event and the more of an emotional impact an event takes, makes it probably harder to change in the beginning.

like how we see how much energy was created on 911 when everyone who has tv has seen the planes go into the buildings. all the energy of those memories are still with the human race and will be for a long time to come. people say it created fear, but fear is an energy of thought that is created by us.

the problem about chnaging events like 911, is that they have had such an impact on our human mind as a whole, and that one event has changed everything to do with society today, just because everyone witnessed it on tv. trying to go back and changing that event, you may not of been able if you even tried to do it, and if you stopped it it may just have created some other disater on the horizon that may have been equally as big.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
OK, I have the answer!

We are all talking about back to the future but not about what the entire trilogy is about! That's when it hit me!

What if the time traveler took you with him "Back to the Future"?

Let you experience the future including the physicality’s of time travel itself?

You have to admit, that's hard to deny.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by jbondo]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
OK, I have the answer!

We are all talking about back to the future but not about what the entire trilogy is about! That's when it hit me!

What if the time traveler took you with him "Back to the Future"?

Let you experience the future including the physicality’s time travel itself?

You have to admit, that's hard to deny.

the problem is it is just one person you could take, and you are thinking to linear. people could just say your witness had a dream, was given drugs, or is just lying.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think also something about Jennifer's note that dissapears. Could the time traveler set up such an experiment to actually change future events?

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I think also something about Jennifer's note that dissapears. Could the time traveler set up such an experiment to actually change future events?

what you are talking about is if someone went back in time and changed themselves even being in existance, the grandfather paradox. the problem with that is are we just on one time line.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I don't see how you could prove time travel.

If you go back in time, and invest money in microsoft then come to the present. All you would have is money. You couldn't prove that you hadn't invest the money and just forgotten about it.

Or, you could move forward in time, do research on the stock market and then follow your research. This may be proof for you but others would just see you as a stock market guru.

Ultimately the only proof is to time travel yourself. If you make the trip then you would believe.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
other time lines, spirits, psychics?

sheesh, I don't believe in most of the strange stuff discussed here but I thought the original question was a good one. Once you start with "well, the text book or predictions could be the work of a psychic or a message from the spirit world, the whole discussion takes on a dimension that is somewhat nonsensical (not like time travel doesn't border on the edge of that topic as well).

Say I show up at CNN's offices and I say " I am going to tell you every single sports score for every single event tonight. I will also give you the powerball numbers for every lottery in every state tonight and, just to show I have the answers from the future, I also will tell you the headlines of 5 major newspapers in 5 major cities of your choice"

then I go and do all of that. I get every single thing right and the CNN crew looks at me and says "you're a psychic or you get your answers from the spirit world"?

no, they say "holy crap, this guy might actually be from the future, time to start researching his life, his claims etc.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
other time lines, spirits, psychics?

sheesh, I don't believe in most of the strange stuff discussed here but I thought the original question was a good one. Once you start with "well, the text book or predictions could be the work of a psychic or a message from the spirit world, the whole discussion takes on a dimension that is somewhat nonsensical (not like time travel doesn't border on the edge of that topic as well).

Say I show up at CNN's offices and I say " I am going to tell you every single sports score for every single event tonight. I will also give you the powerball numbers for every lottery in every state tonight and, just to show I have the answers from the future, I also will tell you the headlines of 5 major newspapers in 5 major cities of your choice"

then I go and do all of that. I get every single thing right and the CNN crew looks at me and says "you're a psychic or you get your answers from the spirit world"?

no, they say "holy crap, this guy might actually be from the future, time to start researching his life, his claims etc.

You are absolutely right and these are exactly the things I was thinking!

Come on people! You can't tell me that you wouldn't start to believe with some of the examples given.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Crakeur, your answer is just good if we have a total linear society and no other factors come into play. if we do not understand reality how can we answer this question, we can only go on ifs and buts.

but this also brings up a point, there was a news article a few years about this very subject, probably fiction, but we never know

www.stressfreetrading.com...
man arrested for insider dealing, claims to be time traveler

whatever the truth, fact or fiction, if something like this happens, the nsa would be up your arse as soon as you opened your mouth.

Come on people! You can't tell me that you wouldn't start to believe with some of the examples given.

the problem is like we explained, if someone knows for sure a result and tells people, that could effect things and how they turn out. i.e example

bookies nobble horses when to much money goes on them sometimes, by nobble i mean get the horse doped or some other means.

just thinking you know the future does not make it so, because when you start interacting with others can change it drastically.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
(I'm answering in order as fast as I can lol)

You said,

All this talk about bringing back history books that detail major events and the day on which they happen would be out of the question for a 'time traveler'. Take this for example: This future history book details how, as one poster suggested early in this thread, the next major stock market crash. Well, now every individual who looks at this text now knows that the stock market will be coming down suddenly and violently; they now buy and sell accordingly and, for these individuals and all of those whom they affect in the process, history is effectively changed.

History (ooh "his story") is changed, but this strays a little from the original question, which is of proof. But yes, it seems that this would definitely alter "our" future.

You also said,

Little events -such as one person who would have experienced extreme poverty during a stock crash suddenly experiencing extreme wealth- have a major and unforeseeable effect on the future.

This effect would be on the now rich person's future, and those that are affected by his story it seems, so yes. This topic, the affects of time travel, is a whole different topic I would like to get into on another thread, but it's equally fascinating.

I don't know if a "history text" as you said, is out of the question...I think it would need to be a part of the revelation, but may not stand on its own as absolute proof.

It seems so far that we're offering suggestions that would convince a lot of people, but if presented with these things is that enough?

Thank you, spines, great post!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join