It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence services investigating letter threatening attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It's the old question of "Whatever happened to....."
In this case I refer to the Forces de Liberation du Quebec(FLQ). It appears the group has resurfaced and has begun making threats to the Anglophone population of the Province of Quebec. Copies of the letters in question were sent to Quebec politicians and the President of France. The RCMP and Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) are taking the threats seriously.

www.ctv.ca
CSIS investigating letter threatening FLQ attacks
Updated Fri. Jan. 19 2007 7:34 AM ET
Canadian Press

MONTREAL -- The RCMP is taking "very seriously'' a recent threatening letter signed by a group claiming to be a new cell of the FLQ, a Quebec terrorist group active in the 1960s and 1970s.
The letter, dated Jan. 15, says "strategic targets of importance'' will be targeted in the western, largely English-speaking part of Montreal between Feb. 15 and March 15.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It has been a long time since we have heard anything from this group who was supported openly by the French President in the early 70s. What are they expecting from the French Government (Jacques Chirac) now? I can't imagine him being very supportive of the FLQ today.

What, other then the general disdain of the populace" do they expect the Canadian government do? Cring and give in to there future demandes?

Whatever it is. I hope the authorities find that it's only a small extremist group and stop them before they follow through with there threats.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by palg1]

[edit on 19-1-2007 by palg1]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm surprised that Canadians, French or otherwise, would behave like such children in this day and age. You'd think they'd learn a thing or two from watching the proceedings in Iraq.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Unfortunately Landis, I think they have. All the wrong lessons.

I think they see insurgents causing havoc overseas and beleive that us "pacifist Canadians" will just quiver at the thought of the same thing happening over here. They think that we will give in to there demands before they follow through with their threats.

Just my opinion of course.....

[edit on 22-1-2007 by palg1]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Here's a little article that make's me question whether France is really neutral in this affair. Although she denies her interfering in this affair her words betray her.

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Ms Royal's reported comments, which made headline news in Canada, followed a brief meeting in Paris on Monday with the leader of the pro-independence Parti Quebecois, Andre Boisclair."

"She said she and Mr Boisclair had common positions that included "the sovereignty and freedom of Quebec".

Sounds like she stepped into this mud puddle with both feet.

I hope the critics are right. They say that she tailors her remarks to please whomever she is speaking to.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hmmm. I wonder if insurgents do start blowing things up in Canada, will they want help from the U.S.? And even if they say they don't want our help, will we at some time have to step in to keep the violence from spilling over our northern border? There could even be Canadian refugees coming across if the violence got too high. Maybe we'll even need a northern chapter of the Minutemen if the government acts like it doesn't care what's coming across the Canadian border either...

Conspiracy Theory:

Or maybe this "appearance of destabilization in Canada" is just part of the larger plan to help create public support for creating the North American Union.

[edit on 1/23/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Hmmm. I wonder if insurgents do start blowing things up in Canada, will they want help from the U.S.? And even if they say they don't want our help, will we at some time have to step in to keep the violence from spilling over our northern border?

Don't worry about this. If it does turn out to be something and I doubt that it will, the FLQ and it's mission is decades done, we've dealt with this before, swiftly and effectively. It was one of Trudeau's defining moments. When asked how he would deal with them, he confidently said, "Just watch me." I just hope we have someone left like that.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Quite frankly, 'you and me both, brother'. That kind of violence is the last thing either country needs right now, or anytime inthe future.

Still, there is the North American Union angle. If these politicians are anywhere near as devious as many here seem to think, then who's to say they aren't manipulating this situation, too?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Hmmm. I wonder if insurgents do start blowing things up in Canada, will they want help from the U.S.? And even if they say they don't want our help, will we at some time have to step in to keep the violence from spilling over our northern border? There could even be Canadian refugees coming across if the violence got too high.

[edit on 1/23/2007 by centurion1211]

I doubt that it would ever come to that. Any refugees, would simply move east to New Brunswick or west to Ontario as would any violence.

This thing would be confined to Quebec and at the most eastern Ontario.
Although I believe that the government would step in rather hard to stabalize the situation and calm the population.

[edit on 24-1-2007 by palg1]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
"Quebec cop injured after car bomb destroys his van
Updated Wed. Feb. 14 2007 11:01 PM ET
Canadian Press

SHERBROOKE, Que. -- A bomb destroyed a city police van and injured an officer on a downtown street Wednesday. "

Full story below:
www.ctv.ca...

Could this be the begining of their bombing campaign?

Sounds to me like it was well planned, and that only luck saved the police officer.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
An attempt could have happened. A plane was hijacked.

Last Updated: Thursday, 15 February 2007, 19:57 GMT
Mauritanian plane is 'hijacked'

An Air Mauritania passenger jet has been hijacked after taking off from the Mauritanian capital, Nouakchott, officials there say.
Reports said it had later landed in Las Palmas, in the Spanish Canary Islands.

Police could not confirm the number of passengers on board the Boeing 737. It was also unknown how many hijackers were involved, nor their motive.

One unconfirmed report citing security officials in Mauritania said the hijackers had demanded to go to France.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 15-2-2007 by Siren]

top topics

join