It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawking Warns: We Must Recognise the Catastrophic Dangers of Climate Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Steven Hawking himself has spoken...

Climate change stands alongside the use of nuclear weapons as one of the greatest threats posed to the future of the world, the Cambridge cosmologist Stephen Hawking has said. Professor Hawking said that we stand on the precipice of a second nuclear age and a period of exceptional climate change, both of which could destroy the planet as we know it.

Link

Ive always worried what hawking would say and it turns out to be bad news... what do you guys think?

[edit on 19-1-2007 by conspiracymaster]

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Recognizing climate change is easy enough, so I would of thought Hawkings could of provided us with some constructive feasible solutions.

Beware the doom is all we got...

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Just because he's a brilliant quantum physicist doesn't make him an expert on climatology - any more than it makes him a leading brain surgeon or an ace fighter pilot

Like most commentators on the subject, he hears various soundbites and draws a conclusion based on incomplete data.

Not that I'm saying climate change isn't a big challenge for mankind in the 21st century

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
most people really could not care less, words are just words.

like what Whitley Strieber was saying on c2c recently, the stuff he was talking about is just meaningless to everyone, because of the apathy going on.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
...Not that I'm saying climate change isn't a big challenge for mankind in the 21st century

Agree. But the challenge will adaptation, not prevention. Mankind SHOULD NOT try to interfere with natural global cycles.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Yes, whether it's natural, mammade or - more likely - a complex combination of both, IMO the only solution will be adaptation

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Yes, whether it's natural, mammade or - more likely - a complex combination of both, IMO the only solution will be adaptation

I agree 100%
I really dont think the current climate change is "fixable"
The only thing left to do,is come up with ways to adapt to our ever changing planet.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Just because he's a brilliant quantum physicist doesn't make him an expert on climatology - any more than it makes him a leading brain surgeon or an ace fighter pilot

Like most commentators on the subject, he hears various soundbites and draws a conclusion based on incomplete data.

Not that I'm saying climate change isn't a big challenge for mankind in the 21st century

are you saying hawking is wrong? are you saying he is taking sides?

i think there is much truth in what hawking says.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hawking is only stating that climate change is on the level of nuclear war, when it comes to significant global changes; and is pressing the opinion that we need to regard it as such.

He's not putting a political or any other spin on it. Just emphasizing it's importance to us as human beings.

I think he's right.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
[rant]If humanity was reduced to a half dozen raggedy individuals scrabbling for cockroaches in the ruins, there would still be at least a couple who would deny that there is a problem, calling it all just 'natural'.

When people with the intellectual capacity comparable to the greatest minds on the planet are telling us there's a 'situation' we need to pay attention to, who are we to roll our eyes and downplay it?

The #1 reason that the effects of Global Warming are ignored is because the cats with the big bucks want to keep the status quo going. Bigger everything, edible oil products, more plastic bags, eat everything that moves and, above all, more consumers! Walmart and China got married...woo hoo!!!

It's like our Fantasy World is a 'Hotel California', where you can check out, but you can never leave. [/rant]

new topics

top topics

join