It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
One of the best movies i have ever seen

Johnny depp depicts Raoul plays Raoul Duke amazingly , One of the best acting performances ive ever seen

It is one of the wittiest films ive had the pleasure of viewing
Has anyone else seen it as well? it is also a great movie for quoting lol

Raoul Duke: If the pigs were gathering in Vegas, I felt the drug culture should be represented as well. And there was a certain bent appeal in the notion of running a savage burn on one Las Vegas hotel, and then just wheeling across town and checking into another. Me and a thousand ranking cops from all over America. Why not? Move confidently into their midst.

Raoul Duke: Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's.

Raoul Duke: We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of coc aine, and a whole multi colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Hitchhiker: Hot damn. I never rode in a convertible before.
Raoul Duke: Is that right? Well... I guess you're about ready, then, aren't you?
Dr. Gonzo: We're your friends. We're not like the others, man, really.
Raoul Duke: No more of that talk or I'll put the #ing leeches on you, understand?
Dr. Gonzo: Heh heh heh...
Raoul Duke: [as the Hitchhiker stares at them nervously] Get in.

Just a few great lines from the movie

www.imdb.com...

Link to Movie

JbT

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Yes, a personaly favorite of mine too.

Its really amazing the "realness" of the drug scenes and how they do the camera work and acting. They really must have done some homework... or the director had experiences with most of those drugs himself, if not Jonny Depp himself too in order to act out those scenes.

Either way, it brings me back to my highschool days and gives me shivers up my spine The way he moves, the way he looks around with his eyes, the way he does the drugs, and the actions they make after injesting the drugs is all "real" and I think thats why ex-drug users really respect it for what it is.

P.S. My friend tells me the book is better, but Im a visual person and tend to find movies better than reading.

My Fav Quotes:

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive..." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

The Mother of All Quotes: One of my all time favorite insights to a time and age in the past. Almost brings a tear to my eye:

It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run… but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant…. History is hard to know, because of all the hired bull, but even without being sure of ‘history’ it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened…. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda…. My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights -- or very early mornings -- when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour... booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turnoff to take when I got to the other end... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: no doubt at all about that. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning…. And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply PREVAIL. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave…. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

[edit on 18-1-2007 by JbT]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It's an awesome movie, a couple of my fav scenes are the lizards in the bar, when Benicio Del Toro is in the Bath tub and the Devil scene near the end.
So funny and as you say SO REAL...

P.S I wouldn't expect this thread to last too long with all the drug references, but I do love this movie so much...

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Probably one of the funniest movies ever made.

I own a Special Edition of the Film on DVD. It has hours worth of extras, and all that jazz to go with it. I've yet to watch this film without cracking up endlessly.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Defiantly one of my favorite books.

And my favorite movie.
Hunter S Thompson nails the empty feelings left behind after the 60's ended, and the dying culture afterwards.

new topics

top topics

join