It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O'Reilly VS Colbert Tonight On No Spin Zone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I was disappointed. I like Colbert. I also like O'Reilly. For completely different resons of course. Neither show is news, both are opinion. Colberts is expressly for comedy value and O'Reilly, though just yelling about nothing of any consequence most of the time, comes out with a perspective I may not have considered before.

I was disappointed because Colbert was "on" the whole time. He didnt talk about what it is he does or why he does it. He came across as a clown and actually seemd a little nervous. Usually hes calm, cool and collected but last night he was rambling, loud and tense. I missed OReilly on Colberts show. On way too late for me. Perhaps Ill see the rerun this afternoon.

As far as getting news from people like him and Stewart, well, thats just sad. To get the most out of their jokes one would have to be up on the news of the day. I know people get all their news from them, most of my friends and peers do, and it terrifies me that these people vote. In debate, however, they always collapse. They havent the facts to back up any of their opinions and their period references usually dont go any further back than last Tuesday. Their attention spans are short, their logic is non-existant and they live off of ideals, not ideas.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I thought the Colbert Report was way better than O'Reilly's show. I liked it when Steve brings out the picture of the male stripper with Bill's face on it and Bill says if he dresses like that he could get elected mayor of San Francisco.

But the best part was when Steve showed Bill's book with a 30% off sticker on the cover over his face. That was priceless.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
All new books at Barnes and Noble are 30% off. Usually the first few in the stack have the sticker on them.

I guess if I didnt know that it would be funny.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well you know both John Stewart and Steve Colbert advertise books in both of there shows and this is the first time I have ever seen one with a discount sticker on it. I don't think it was a coincidence.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Well you know both John Stewart and Steve Colbert advertise books in both of there shows and this is the first time I have ever seen one with a discount sticker on it. I don't think it was a coincidence.

Of course his staff went and got him one with the sticker for the joke.
Maybe its a "sense of humor" fault of mine but when I saw the sticker all I could think about was how all new books at B+B are marked down 30% to take the edge off of the markup they put on that the customer doesnt see. Unless they shop around. Then, when the audience laughed, I wondered if they had been into a B+B in the last 3 years or if they were laughing because thats just what they were supposed to do. Like seals clapping for fish.

Thats just me though. Colberts funnier than that.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If you do go to B&N to buy the book at the 30% discount, then you can use the money you saved to buy a sense of humor.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
i think people just watch stewert and colbert for the laughs, not to see the news, if they wanted to watch the news there are enough sources for that.

but colbert and stewert makes you somehow distance yourself that its news, and they turn it into comedy.

you people try to read to much into why people watch what they watch sometimes, sometimes things are just simply someone watches a program to be entertained, not for serious content.

remember if they wanted the news they would just watch the news, watching colbert and stewert puts a distance between the news and fear and those shows, so your not really getting the same effects as just watching the news.

you can watch the shows on both foxnews and comedy centrel websites, if you want.

personally i think colbert is better now than jon, because of the way he does his shows like someone said above, he does it in such a calm manner, and comes across as more of a laugh.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Colbert is a genius! Ever since his show started, I've thought that the premise of it was pure brilliance. And what is so amazing is that so many people don't 'get' him. They think he's really a conservative Republican! Funny!

Of course he was in character and always 'on' in both shows. It's what he does. We're not likely to see the 'real' Stephen Tyrone ColBERT anytime soon. His popularity is because of the role he so cleverly plays.

O'Reilly seemed nervous to me on both shows. Not quite as arrogant as usual. It was clear to me that he was intimidated by Colbert (as he should be) and thought the whole 'getting together' thing was a mistake. He looked pretty bad, like a kid trying to keep up with an adult. He even said on the Colbert Report that he made a mistake in appearing there.

I don't know of anyone who watches Comedy Central to get their news, but in my opinion, it's not that much different than watching CNN, FOX or NBC to get one's news. They're all crap for news. LINK-TV has the only decent news on TV.

But Colbert and Stewart both show the insanity of politics and news coverage the way no one else does. So, they're not a bad source to supplement your news. Plus they're both brilliant comedians.

To Colbert and O'Reilly. Great exposure for them both.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
O'Reilly seemed nervous on the Colbert show.

I don't watch Stewart or Colbert. Can someone tell me - the rift between them, that was brought up on the O'Reilly show - is that real or manufactured, or non-existent?

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I don't watch Stewart or Colbert. Can someone tell me - the rift between them, that was brought up on the O'Reilly show - is that real or manufactured, or non-existent?

It is manufactured for laughs. Although I wonder if Stewart is a bit jealous that the Colbert Report, which is a spin off of his show, is doing so well. I like both of them about the same.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Can someone tell me - the rift between them, that was brought up on the O'Reilly show

Actually, at the end of most of The Daily Shows, Jon has a minute to chat with Stephen split screen to kick off The Colbert Report. You know, Jon asks what Stephen's doing on his show tonight and sometimes there's a joke or two. Almost a skit at the end of Jon's show. So, no. There's no rift between them.

I don't think Jon is a bit resentful of Stephen. I think he's proud and respects Stephen quite a bit. Their shows are so totally different, and their audience is most of the same people. It's like one long show to us, with Jon having the first half and Stephen having the second. We love them both. They're hilarious and too smart!

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I watch Stewart/Colbert because they show how hilarious the Administartion really is. They are obviously against it, and they exaggerate how hilariously rediculous it really is. They better hope the next Prez is ignorant enough to give them fresh material. I'm sure he will

In case anyone missed the Report, it's usually on the next day at 8 PM eastern time. I loved both shows last night, but Colbert definately handed it to him on the Report. He looked more comfortable and at home.

I liked the quote on the Factor where Colbert says something LIKE "It's the New York Times Bill! You love Bush! Of course they're gonna hate you!"

hahahahaha.

Also, the 30% off sticker on his face was hilarious. Regardless if that's the standard for their new books, it's still hilarious.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I have no idea who colbert and oreily are and i don't really care to know either since it's on the mind control box.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfless
I have no idea who colbert and oreily are and i don't really care to know either since it's on the mind control box.

If you live in the states, I find it hard to believe that you have isolated yourself so much you've never heard of the name O'Riley. I mean, Colbert I could understand...he's new to the media so to speak, and a comedic element. But O'Riley? Seriously, the guys has been around for at least a decade. He has a show on TV and radio. They mention things he says in the newspaper. He's a relatively popular media figure.

Anyway, check out Colbert on Youtube or something, since I assume you don't consider the internet mind control since you post on here. The comedy is sharp and smart, and it's worth a good chuckle from time to time when they look at recent political events in only the way good satire can.

-O

top topics

<< 1   >>

join