It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gale-Force Storm Hits Europe, Leaving 7 Dead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
hi all,

i'm in manchester and the winds yesterday that killed 12 brits, 7 of them were in the northwest (where i am).

scary sh1t people.

we're all doomed hehehe

Remirah

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I live in Sweden and we have been plauged by nasty weather as well.We have had storms and hurricanes & no winter to speak off.
There´s definitely something going on with the Earth...

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well here in the uk it's been bad, although at the moment it's ok, even went sunny earlier.

The greenhouse we have has had a few windows smashed due to flying debris, several fence panels have been wrecked and a couple of roof tiles came off.

Along with this is the problems it has caused birds. Just today i saw a black bird feeding on the lawn, he took off at the sight of me (can't blaim him really), at that exact moment a really strong gust of wind caught him. Poor thing got smashed into a brick wall and died. The nest box we have came down as well, although happily it's to early for chicks and no adults were in it at the time.

Also power is out all over the country in parts, we've been lucky here with that at least so far. I'm not old but in my 20 some odd years i havn't seen anything like this recent weather.

On the other hand we need the rain, our underground water reserves are low in many areas. Although recent hosepipe bans have been lifted, the water for these usually come from resovoirs, the underground supplies still need a lot of rain, otherwise we'll be back to water being delivered in those large trailers at the end of the street again.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Well here in the uk it's been bad, although at the moment it's ok, even went sunny earlier.

The greenhouse we have has had a few windows smashed due to flying debris, several fence panels have been wrecked and a couple of roof tiles came off.

When you put it like that, does it really seem that cataclysmic? Just a storm...Just a storm...

Along with this is the problems it has caused birds. Just today i saw a black bird feeding on the lawn, he took off at the sight of me (can't blaim him really), at that exact moment a really strong gust of wind caught him. Poor thing got smashed into a brick wall and died.

Poor thing...Although, I have to admit, I did laugh when I read it. I'm an evil bastard...

Also power is out all over the country in parts, we've been lucky here with that at least so far. I'm not old but in my 20 some odd years i havn't seen anything like this recent weather.

Power has been fine down South. Our network (I work for a Telecoms firm) runs our fibres over the national grid and we've barely lost anything. One STM-1 is all I can think of. Your 20 yrs old yet you can't remember any of the biggies since 1987? I'm only 24, but I am not freaking out. This is normal weather for this time of year. People just seem to have shorter memories these days.....

On the other hand we need the rain, our underground water reserves are low in many areas. Although recent hosepipe bans have been lifted, the water for these usually come from resovoirs, the underground supplies still need a lot of rain, otherwise we'll be back to water being delivered in those large trailers at the end of the street again.

Agreed. Need much more rain!! Although things didn't get that bad down our way. We just had a hosepipe ban and a drought warning. In the end, didn't affect me one bit.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
The flash could have been the local substation getting a dose of tree, or a power line coming down.
Yup, heard that latter explanation too.

The reason given for the blackout was that three 110kV lines went down. Someone posted a video of the blackout from a hill over Wuppertal on YouTube; it's not that exciting but I find it strange that the flash can't be seen. Not even a UFO... :-(

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
At Least 47 Dead now in Europe

By MELISSA EDDY, Associated Press Writer 5 minutes ago

Workers across Europe hauled away fallen trees and repaired power lines Friday after the deadliest storm to strike the continent in eight years killed at least 47 people and caused hundreds of millions of dollars in damage.

Trains started rolling again after a near-total shutdown during Thursday night's hurricane-force winds. Airports from London to Frankfurt reported some delays and cancellations, but were returning to normal.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Today again in ireland , The winds were the strongest ive ever felt
I couldnt even take a pee outside lol , , really tho i was walking uphill against the wind i had to stop and walk back because it was so strong
The park is still flooded and the small water fall that was there is now gone because of flooding it used to be bout 3-5 FT tall now its not even noticeable

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
some scientists think that the Tsunami that was triggered by the earthquake may have adjusted the currents in the oceans a bit

i think its just weather. the Earth's climate saw rapid changes before and its still here. why should the weather always stay the same? maybe the earth is just cleaning itself with storms and droughts and what not.

i'm not a weather expert but i do believe that during massive storms CO2 is released into space? (not a lot but noticeable amounts) am i right? please let me know if i'm wrong

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrazyPolak

i think its just weather. the Earth's climate saw rapid changes before and its still here. why should the weather always stay the same? maybe the earth is just cleaning itself with storms and droughts and what not.

The Earth is still here, but humans might not survive if she gets pissed off. And for cleaning itself? you might be on to something. I just hope what she is cleaning up isn't humans, but you never know.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
and if you think about it, if we do find a cheaper energy source than petroleum, and it is clean, eventually the earth will become so oxygen rich that we'll be praying for "moderate weather". that is sprinkle showers at night, and no thunderstorms or droughts. droughts and thunderstorms will cause massive fires, and how rare is it to get the "just right" weather?

Earth will never be perfect. and as for the human race being done for, thats only if we finish ourselves. We are just too proficient to not be able to adapt. Don't forget, our basic instincts of survival and how to find food, are so animal like that we stand a very good chance of surviving the next Ice Age or Super Storm or w/e Mother Nature will throw at us, not to mention that we have such amazing technology.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
actually scratch the whole oxygen rich theory, not enough trees to make that much oxygen, even in millions of years

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Earth will never be perfect. and as for the human race being done for, thats only if we finish ourselves. We are just too proficient to not be able to adapt. Don't forget, our basic instincts of survival and how to find food, are so animal like that we stand a very good chance of surviving the next Ice Age or Super Storm or w/e Mother Nature will throw at us, not to mention that we have such amazing technology.

I wouldn't be so confident. I have seen some really experience men humbled and even killed by light touch of mother nature. We are polluting ourselves into extintion. The earth in time will be fine, but us? Well that is another story.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
oh don't get me wrong, nature is a very deadly thing. it can kill off tons of humans, but will it exterminate us? we haven't seen the type of weather yet. am i saying its not possible? no, its damn right possible. but unless i see a huge spike in the power of storms here on earth i doubt it will happen any time soon. we just have to worry about things going to sh** in the middle east and spreading

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
CP,

If it's not the weather than it's going to be something else. lol! well I hope not. I just want things to be happy and peaceful.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Stumason

Hey stu, i'm not that worried to be honest, maybe my post didn't carry the tone correctly. Although it's some powerful weather i agree that it's a small blip. You cannot blaim this kind of thing on global warming unless it happens over and over again for years. One year or one storm isn't enough to prove anything.

When i said i hadn't seen anything like it before, well it's true that i think this is worst i've seen around here, but i know it happens sometimes.

Oh and in the west the power has been out in patches. Not a major thing really, i never understood why people got so worked up went power goes off, i mean our ancestors lived for years without it. Get some candles and find some other way of entertaining yourself. That's if you know how anymore.

[edit on 20-1-2007 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   

i'm not a weather expert but i do believe that during massive storms CO2 is released into space? (not a lot but noticeable amounts) am i right? please let me know if i'm wrong

No, storms have no effect on the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
lol, me too

and this news with North Korea and Iran testing with nukes. 2 countries not so fond of the US......kinda scary, let's hope Kim Jong doesn't go mental any time soon and hit the red button

top topics

<< 1   >>

join