It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influenza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Influenza, the flu of 1918, spanish flu, H5. All of these refer to a pandemic that swept our nation. Now we hardly hear about it in school or anywhere else. Now we just think of flu as a bad sickness that we just lay miserable in bed for a few days. But how did it start some say pigs, others from a fort burning manure in kansas, still some people say it was the Germans. The flu pandemic started at the begining of our involvment WWI and mysteriously dissapeared when Germany surrendered. Fishy?

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Here is some history in schools we do not learn about:
Influenza

The symptoms of human influenza were clearly described by Hippocrates roughly 2400 years ago. Since then, the virus has caused numerous pandemics. Historical data on influenza are difficult to interpret, as the symptoms can be similar to those of other diseases, such as diphtheria, pneumonic plague, typhoid fever, dengue or typhus. The first convincing record of an influenza pandemic was of an outbreak in 1580, which began in Asia and spread to Europe via Africa. In Rome over 8,000 people were killed, and several Spanish cities were almost wiped out. Pandemics continued sporadically throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, with the pandemic of 1830–1833 being particularly widespread; it infected approximately a quarter of the people exposed.

The most famous and lethal outbreak was the so-called Spanish flu pandemic (type A influenza, H1N1 subtype), which lasted from 1918 to 1919. Older estimates say it killed 40–50 million people while current estimates say 50 million to 100 million people worldwide were killed...

Mod Edit: Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-1-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Original Anonymous Post By: anon_91765
This anonymous post is in response to ATS thread: Influenza

Jesus! You bloody yanks think the world only exists in relation to North America.....The 'flu virus of 1917-18-19 did not only affect the United States, but also: Mexico, Canada, Haiti, Italy, New Zealand, Peru...it swept the world. The world is bigger than what you see on Fox news kids. I suggest you get out of your shells and travel the world (without M4 carbines). You will learn more this way than by reading your inadequate history books and "How stuff works" website. You could also return home with some ideas on how to make the US a better place. I apologise for the anonymous post- I do not have time to go through the registration process, but I will check back later for your replies.Jesus! You bloody yanks think the world only exists in relation to North America.....The 'flu virus of 1917-18-19 did not only affect the United States, but also: Mexico, Canada, Haiti, Italy, New Zealand, Peru...it swept the world. The world is bigger than what you see on Fox news kids. I suggest you get out of your shells and travel the world (without M4 carbines). You will learn more this way than by reading your inadequate history books and "How stuff works" website. You could also return home with some ideas on how to make the US a better place. I apologise for the anonymous post- I do not have time to go through the registration process, but I will check back later for your replies.Jesus! You bloody yanks think the world only exists in relation to North America.....The 'flu virus of 1917-18-19 did not only affect the United States, but also: Mexico, Canada, Haiti, Italy, New Zealand, Peru...it swept the world. The world is bigger than what you see on Fox news kids. I suggest you get out of your shells and travel the world (without M4 carbines). You will learn more this way than by reading your inadequate history books and "How stuff works" website. You could also return home with some ideas on how to make the US a better place. I apologise for the anonymous post- I do not have time to go through the registration process, but I will check back later for your replies.

It's certainly not surprising that as people look back at previous worldwide natural disasters, they would focus on their impact on their own nation and neighborhood.

Rather than attacking (3x over), why don't you contribute to the discussion by adding useful information?

[edit on 1/26/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am aware that the flu pandemic continued through most of the world but I'm studying american history right now, and I was surprised that it is not in our history books, nor other such world history books. The writers of these books seem to focus more on war and politics than deadly disese events in history. Even the black plague has less than half a page devoted to it while the cold war had three whole pages front and back. I'm not saying pandemics of diseses are more important than war, but we should at least study them more. They did shape history after all

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Original Anonymous Post By: anon_91765
This anonymous post is in response to ATS thread: Influenza

Jesus! You bloody yanks think the world only exists in relation to North America.....The 'flu virus of 1917-18-19 did not only affect the United States, but also: Mexico, Canada, Haiti, Italy, New Zealand, Peru...it swept the world. The world is bigger than what you see on Fox news kids. I suggest you get out of your shells and travel the world (without M4 carbines). You will learn more this way than by reading your inadequate history books and "How stuff works" website. You could also return home with some ideas on how to make the US a better place. [edit on 1/26/2007 by djohnsto77]

Just so you know I've studied the world and been out in it more than just reading books and watching tv

new topics

top topics

join