It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respect and Tolerance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

tolerance

tol·er·ance [ tóllərənss ] (plural tol·er·ances)

noun

Definition:

1. acceptance of different views: the acceptance of the differing views of other people, e.g. in religious or political matters, and fairness toward the people who hold these different views

2. tolerating of somebody or something: the act of putting up with somebody or something irritating or otherwise unpleasant

3. ability to endure hardship: the ability to put up with harsh or difficult conditions

So many different minds and so many different ideas You will find many you will agree with. you will find many more you will not.

When you find yourself in that awkward position of being the odd man out just remember Tolerance. If you tolerate there ideas they in turn will tolerate yours. If you find it impossible to tolerate there idea's just do yourself a favor and leave the thread and never go back. Out of site out of mind.

respect

re·spect [ ri spékt ]

noun (plural re·spects)

Definition:

1. esteem: a feeling or attitude of admiration and deference toward somebody or something
He has no respect for authority.

2. state of being admired: the state of being admired deferentially

3. thoughtfulness: consideration or thoughtfulness

4. characteristic: an individual characteristic or point
satisfactory in every respect

Respect is one of the least things given in this world and one of the most important. Tolerance and respect should go hand in hand. You should be able to respectfully tolerate somebody's else ideas. If not tolerate atleat respect that person enough to not call them names. Its the same as above Respect there ideas and if its impossible to respect them then leave the thread and never go back.

One thing I consider the most important on a board like ATS is what I call chaining. We've all seen it done. You disagree with a persons idea in a thread maybe you kinda get in a verbal punching match. Then you see them posting in another thread maybe not even related but you go in to that thread and give the person a hard time. then next thing you know you are chaining all there threads together in a chain of hate and in-tolerance. So just remember to leave any disagreements in that thread. After you leave that thread its done its over.

IF we all (My self included) Remember tolerance and respect, ATS will go down in history as the worlds most successful think tank.

Thanks for listing I felt it needed to be said.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
If you tolerate there ideas they in turn will tolerate yours.

I don't fully agree with this. Can you tolerate that I disagree with it?

You are suggesting that you can teach people to be tolerant by you yourself tolerating them? I dunno' ... for many people that's just an invitation to walk all over the 'weaker' person. Nice thought though.

Thanks for listing I felt it needed to be said.

okay.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I don't fully agree with this. Can you tolerate that I disagree with it?

Yup sure can

You are suggesting that you can teach people to be tolerant by you yourself tolerating them? I dunno' ... for many people that's just an invitation to walk all over the 'weaker' person. Nice thought though.

Its a start and every journey begins with one. Sometimes it is better to turn the other cheak. You may not be able to teach them anything but dont atleast agrivate the situation by acting like them. Tolerate and respect them any way. No fuel added to a fire the fire will die. Get my point?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I agree with this statement, and it does happen. But tolerance is something that we can not have enough of. Nobody is saying you have to agree, but ridiculing someone for something you simply disagree with; well, it is a little arrogant. If you make a statement, I openly disagree, is that actually a sign of weakness?

The ability to tolerate an individual who is berating you, I consider it to be maturity. When it comes to respect, well our Super-Mod hit that nail right on the head some time ago, "Every Member Deserves Respect". Whether it is a member proclaiming to be John Titor, or a member saying they have tracked down OBL through MySpace, they are all entitled to respect. We all have the right to disagree, but nobody has the right to disrespect one another. Especially on a message board. Nothing productive to say, just move a long. We do not need people posting to merely serve their own ego.

But to get back to FF's post, I do not equate "Tolerance" with "Weakness".

Very interesting thought though. Curious to see what other members think on this statement.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
LOL guess other members thought it was not worth commenting on. Honestly I expected as much but I will never regret making post like this. weather they get read or commented on or not doesnt matter they still need to be said.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
AA,

Remember that you posted a thoroughly thought out and well worded expression....

Not much else to add to it as a matter of fact.

I agree with you completely and yet also think FF has a point as well.. Still the "High Road" is as you suggest and one can never go wrong taking the high road...

Semper

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Exactly what I have been screaming and then getting over passionate and making a fool of myself. hhehehehheh
I agree!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Thanks AA. It needed to be said. It also needs to be heard, understood and abided by.

Many times I have found myself trying to make a point only to have it completely misunderstood for which I am chastised (berated) by some responder. I think, "Oh, I need to clear that up" but when I try to clarify my position the berating one(s) have already formed their opinion of my position and continue to brow beat so I just bow out of the discussion. Of course, the discussion can live without my two cents worth anyway but look at all the "flavors" we loose in this buffet of conversation when we refuse to tolerate those presented by others.

Conversely, when I find myself no longer able to tolerate what I perceive as gross stupidity on a subject, I leave. They are entitled to their opinions as much as I am entitled to mine. Plus, I realize that the anonymity of internet conversation emboldens others to say things they would hesitate to say in person. This can be a good thing and I respect their right to say it.

Personally, I am thankful that there is this bastion of free thought on controversial topics at ATS. IRL, I have to be careful of everything I say so as to not offend the politically correct or shock the grossly uninformed. Here we have a safe haven for our 1st amendment right and I'm glad of it.

top topics

join