It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

red star in Sagittarius

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
there is a red star in the constellation Sagittarius that looks like it changed from white to red. i check a pic had from about 10 years ago and there seems to have been a color shift,but im using a newer telescope from 10yrs.ago so i may be wrong. if im right the star may be shifting to a red giant. so would some one check it out for me.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Can we have more details? Please?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
its ORION my bad sorry. the star is eather BETELGEUSE or RIGEL. sorry for the error im not to skilled at read star charts.

[edit on 18-1-2007 by DRAGON27]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
BETELGEUSE is a red supergiant. You're right. Great work on resolving the colour yourself.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
thanx

when did BETELGEUSE shift to a red supergiant?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There is a lot of speculation that Betelgeuse will go supernova and may have been white at one time.

Curiously, 1st century BC Chinese records unearthed by Shu-ren, Jianmin and Jin-Yi in 1980 refer to the color of Betelgeuse as being white or yellow. However, Ptolemy writing in 150 AD calls it a red star. Therefore, Fang Lizhi, a Chinese astrophysicist, proposed that Betelgeuse could have turned into a red giant star during that period.

en.wikipedia.org...

But I doubt it has changed in ten years. You may have been using a telescope with poor color quality so the color did not come out. I like using a large reflector telescope because it brings out the color of stars.

new topics

top topics

join