It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beyond the Bug out Bag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Ok a lot here have demonstrated that they have a BOB that will take them through some realy rough times.

What about what happens beyond that week/two weeks/month. How will you survive in an instance when you may have to go the rest of your life without a society there to help you?

Shelter; Most of you have working knowledge of how to build a decent temporary shelter but what happens when you need to make a more permenent structure? Can anyone successfully make adobe?

Water; This one should be easy and a priority. So do you find a nice spring or lake or something to gain water by?

Food; your BOB will only take you so far. and who knows how to grow a garden and perhaps get animals corraled for meat?

Weponry; How many bullets do you think your going to need for the rest of your life? What happens when your out of ammo? Think archery.

Im just throwing this out cause after the SHTF someone is going to have to clean up the mess.

So how are you going to survive the rest of your life if we have to go into annother dark age? Also remember your not going to be young forever. Eventualy your going to get old and feable and so how will you handle being less thain superman/woman in this new dark age?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
BOB are for getting you to your stash ware you have supplies to weather a longer perioud abd to help you get set up with those things mentioned. I have tools in my North stash for perminate shelter building, as well as enough MRE's for two weeks. I also have plunty of ammo and arrows. I think most of the advanced survivilist on here have thought beyound the BOB and are well indowed with the knowledg needed. This should be a very interesting thread to watch unfold.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I am reading a book that is unrelated to this topic, but it does take place in Beirut. I notice how they are survivng in a society that could very well be a reality here. Life goes on, there are entire areas where the bombed out buildings are ripped to pieces yet on the ground floor they have cleaned up a bit and actually live work and sell within these confines. There was mention of stands that sell anything from produce to electronics out of these ruins. The human mind is resilient and resourceful enough to get by on what is available. I think if we all look to war torn countries and studied how they live while in the midst of hell, we could come away with valuable knowledge. I know I have been of a post nuclear mentality where everything is decimated, but the reality is that things may just deteriorate into chaos without destroying everything. If there are buildings standing, there will be people making due in them. We may not neccessarily need to live in artic tents or trees. I will be looking further into how societies survive as a whole. This may be the key to getting through a long term situation.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
That is a good point shaddow watcher. I am glad you thought of that and you are right. So basicly people will still live in urban areas and get by with what they can.

I certanly wouldent and couldent stand living in an arctic tent for the rest of my life but at the same time I wouldent want to live in a bombed out building either. I think I would love to live in a nice log cabin in the woods somewhere that I built.

I wonder, what about electricity? could someone use an alternator hooked to a waterwheel or a windmill to gain electic power in a situation?

I am trying to see past surviving into living.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Another example is the great depression in the US 1929-1937.

Millions of Americans did without, but very few actually starved. Also, the crime rate actually went down. This was due in part to the fact that social relations were the only way to get food, i.e., neighbor helping neighbor, instead of you just cashing your paycheck and going to the grocery.

On the other hand, there were civil uprisings during that period. Particularly the Veterans army and some farm protest movements, that were violently put down by the government.

Still, people survived. I repeat myself, but the fact is, most "survivalists" tend to be loners, and ignore the most powerful resource:

Good neighbors.

They will keep you safer, warmer, and better fed than anyone else, including your government.

all the best.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The newer solar panels are really getting good response. I would think maybe try to suppliment your home's power with a few panels to get used to the concept. If things go south, you already have a tremendous resource in place. I watched on tv how you can heat your daily water needs with a simple system installed. It may take a while to recoup your investment, but to always have free hot water is nice. There was a great thread here about this, and it really caught my interest. Just another tool out there. I also have become very fond of YURTS

All I need is some land in New Hampshire and I'm set!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the Yurt link, Dude. Cool !!! Oh, yeah; pass the Koumis.

We've really become fans of rechargeable batteries at my house. It started because we have kids of an age when all their toys are battery-powered; they can never remember to turn them off.

I'm wondering, is there a solar-powered battery charger on the market. Everything we have seems to run on AA batteries.

We bought a digital camera in part, based on which one seems to run longest off of AA batts.

My "bug-out bag" contains a crank-powered shortwave radio, a shake-it flash-light, etc. But I'd like to add some equipment that uses batteries. I haven't done so, because I know that the day I reach for the BOB, all the batts will probably be dead.

Anyway, just wondering.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I love those shake flashlights, living in florida I have a couple in my hurricane kit. I also have seen those crank radios. They are a good assett too.

Didnt the army have some sort of a crank two way radio or something to that effect?

I have seen those solar water heaters. What I am thinking of is one of those instant water heaters. The ones that heat water only when you need it not a whole tank at a time. I think those would be efficent.

Im thinking of buying some cheap land in the mountains of Colorado. Because I know the environment well. I think with all the good tech out there. Solar panels , wind power. Highly efficent water heaters, solar lighting, LED bulbs etc you could build quite the survivalist paradice out in the woods using efficiant materials.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Im thinking of buying some cheap land in the mountains of Colorado. Because I know the environment well.

I'm not telling you what to do; but I would suggest you check out the legal environment as well. No point in buying survival land anywhere that they are going to tax the snot out of it, or use the fact that you own real estate in that state to tax your income with their state tax, even though you're a citizen of another state. *chough* Oklahoma? *cough*

Point is, the politico-legal environment might be far chillier than the nuts-and-berries one.

all the best.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
All good points. One consideration I made when creating my BOB's is that the equipment and Itmes in it must be of high quality and be able to last for an extended period of time. Long enough to be able to live off the land. An example is these little tin survival kits that will get you through a couple days or a week or so. My mini survival kit is designed to last longer utilizing higher quality items in a greater quantity. What sense is there in having 3 or for fishing hooks and 50' of cheap mono filiment when you can create a little larger kit that contains a variety of hooks, lures, and a larger quantity of higher quality line. Yes you may spend a few more bucks but hey this is your life we are talking about.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
good points photobug. I feel that a bob should begin as a simple collection of things you already have. As time goes by you acquire more stuff, or get better stuff. I want to be prepared now, but at the same time I can't drop big money into my bob. I stand by my belief that one should be able to make due with what one can find. If you rely on fancy gadgets too much, you may be sad when you cannot get to them in time. I think we discussed the different levels of need that dictates how many types of bobs needed. I mean your everyday stuff that you carry on your person is one level, the things in you vehicle are another level. The supplies at home is a bigger and bulkier than the duffel bag in the basement for quick evacuations. All scenarios have a process for need.
1. my stuff in my wallet and leather will get me to my motorcycle or truck.
2. My vehicle's stash will get me home or away for extended stay.
3. My home has long term supplies that will last @ 2 months as well as a duffle bag with camping gear inside for long term stays outdoors.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
dr_strangecraft,

You asked if there is a solar powered battery charger on the market. I answered that here.

There is, and I'll write to the vendors if they can sell those to the USA if anybody is interested.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I've been looking online, and have found several; I just don't know whether the vendors are reputable or not, or how well the device actually performs in real life. Thanks for responding.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
oh yes there are sevral solar powred battriy chargers, also if you have a larger solar cell system you can use standard rechargers. google solar battrie charger.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
solar chargers

I recommend the coleman but Solio Universal Hybrid Solar Charger looks ok to just never heard of it.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I agree that BOBs are a long term accrual of equipment. I have a basic setup that will last me for a few days, but I am slowly saving and purchasing more for an extended trip into the brush. Currently, my BOB has some space blankets, a fire starter, a whip (homemade from 1/4 nylon rope, 550 cord, and basic braiding knowledge) that cracks as loud as a .22; Alcohol coffee can stove with a liter of fuel and food and water.

Like I said earlier, this is the beginning of my gear list, my extended existence pack is still in the making. I'm saving up to buy GOOD gear, stuff that might cost a buck or two but is designed withstand abuse and time.

In all honesty you can never be too prepared, there is always that extra item that could be added to any kit, regardless of how thorough it was put together.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
For good quality gear including your solar battery charger check out www.Brigadeqm.com

As for a generator check out the DIY vertical axis wind turbine thread here in the survival forum. You can make one from scavenged parts that will provide enough power to keep your cabin warm and lit for cheap.

And as far as gradually collecting your "good" gear, you don't have much time left before TSHTF! Just my opinion

[edit on 29-11-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
You can buy slightly blemished solar cells(not panels) off of e-bay really cheap. For less than a few hundred dollars you can take the cells, and solder them into either 12v,24v, or 48v configurations and make solar panels that can easily charge a battery bank. Making a small windmill generator is just as cheap(if not cheaper). You can easily power a log cabin or small shelter. Ive run a laptop,radio,batt charger, and tv in the middle of nowhere this way. The the system you make can either be portable or stationary, and come in under 1000$ if you are good and finding stuff. Add a diesel generator and you can provide plenty of power to yourself and family. If you have a soldering iron and any electrical experience this is an easy project that will get you off grid. You can power water pumps on solar as well.

DIY Solar Panels

DIY Wind Turbine

Those are just some ideas to start from. If you plan on making a battery bank the best batteries are the kinds used in hilo's as they can last up to 20 years as long as you dont drain them all the way down. You will need a converter too if you want AC as opposed to DC current.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Speaking of the depression - many animal species in North America were driven to the brink of extinction because people started relying on bush meat for the first time in many, many years. There weren't enough deer, squirrels, rabbits, beavers, etc., to go around.

How much worse will it be the next time around now that so many beaver ponds and deer runs have been 'improved' into shopping malls, parking lots, and so on?

Most of the survivalists I've spoken with have been accomplished hunters, some were fair trappers, many were excellent fishermen, and they definitely rely on those skills to get them through. How many of them have green thumbs though?

There's certainly an undercurrent of "I've got my seeds, and I'll plant them when I get where I'm going" - but this is a gross underestimate of the amount of effort and skill it takes to make a harvest successful. So, yeah, I think agricultural training should be high on the list of any self-described survivalist.

Hunting/fishing and (moreso) trapping seem to me, at least, to be necessary skills, but only to supplement agriculture. You need those skills to survive when on the move, waiting for crops to come in, and during the cold months, but without farming it's a razor's edge between life and death. Hell, even with farming it's a razor's edge. Just something to think about.

Just ask the early farmers...

It took Millennia to develop and perfect agriculture, and much of that progress could be lost (HAS been lost) in one or two generations. Imagine if the internet went out tommorrow - would you know how to compost, how to rotate crops, how to control pests without pesticides, etc., etc?

I think that may be one of the most vital skillsets, and also probably the most underappreciated. People think it's as simple as just plop, in goes the seed, whoosh up comes the food. It can be that simple, if you get really lucky...

The whole idea behind the survivalist mentality, though, is to mitigate the impact of luck - to provide insulation against the unknown.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Totaly agree. Most crops take anywhere from 45days up 90+ depending on the plant and weather conditions. You will NEED a root cellar. And, if you plan on having any fresh vegis whatsoever during the winter months, you will also need in ground "hot boxes". If you build an above ground green house everyone will be able to see it(at least in populated areas), and could make you a tartget of undesireable people. Staple crops would be potatoes,carrots,parsnips, and other root based plants that can store all winter in your root cellar. If you grow corn, dry and grind it(flour,grits).If you have the space, try growing some grains like barley, or some type of oat. The hot boxes will provide greens(various lettuces,spinich,spices,ect) year round. Strawberries, and rasberries can be grown in the summer to produce jams as well. A few apple trees couldnt hurt either(or cherry,pears,ect).

Also don't forget to learn about EVERY edible food in your area, there are hundreds usually in most states. If you live in an area that once or still has indians, go and learn this info from them, they might include many local cures you had no idea about.

Unfortunately, if you are in a large city, you are screwed unless you move now.
You cant subsistance hunt in a city(save squirrl,cat, and doog meat), you cant forage in a city(except possibly acorns), and in alot of cases you cant fish there either. A small garden on a building top will not provide enough food, period. And a BOB will not last long enough to provide yourself with a new secure self sustaining home/land.If SHTF in the winter you are as good as dead.

People in suburbs are not as bad off, hopefully you have a large enough yard to convert into a impromtu farm in your back yard. However, not everyone will do this, and again you will most likely become a target of hungry people
who were too stupid.

If you do hunt, cure,smoke, or dehydrate all the meat that can not be eaten in one day or serving. Store the meat in your root cellar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join