It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finished Fiance' Drawing! (Gazrok)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Not that it really compares to the news of the day, but I finished my latest project (about 6 hours total...) There's a little glare from the frame glass, but it's minimal...(on the gallery thread, you can see what it looked like yesterday morning)...

Here it is:

Luckily, I know she won't ruin the surprise by clicking on this (in case she visits the site...which she rarely does...just not her thing...though maybe more in the paranormal type forums...)

EDIT: not showing for some reason...??? Well, could be my computer, but just in case, here's the url...

server4.uploadit.org...

[Edited on 14-12-2003 by Gazrok]

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Very nice Gaz ! I could never get people right when I drew them. I always did inanimate objects better. Great work !

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I know what you mean...I usually have the same problem. This is why. It's all about proportions. When drawing an inanimate object, you have a lot of leeway in this. If a fruit is too big or small, it'll likely go unnoticed. Likewise with the length of a drape, etc. However, with people, if you are off even a tiny bit, it can suddenly not look like the person, and looks "off".

The way around this is to use a grid or sketch shapes. You'll see comic artists use this all the time, but for photo realism, most will use a grid. The base photo for this, was a 4"x5" image, with a 1/2" grid drawn over it. Then, I drew the 8"x10" grid (1 inch grid) to both help me enlarge the image, and get all of the proportions right. Then I do a light pencil sketch of the important features (eyes, nose, mouth, outline of hair, head, etc.) and then go in and do the darker solid areas (with an Ebony pencil..softer even than a 6B). That's what gets those really black blacks with pencil. Then, I go in and work on the detail (usually leaving hair for last, as it's easier). I usually lay down a light pencil layer over the whole face, then blur it with a fingertip... Then, I darken the shadows, and highlight with a kneaded eraser, to create the light areas, such as tip of the nose, chin, cheeks, etc.

Try the technique, and you'll find that capturing people isn't so different than inanimate objects...once you get the proportions right.

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   
very nice gaz. im sure shell love it. btw hows the whole TLC tv thing coming?

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Pretty good, thanks for asking. The producer is calling my fiance' Monday and doing about a 2 hour phone interview, then me on Tuesday for the same. She's got our releases and all confirmed, so we're lookin' good so far.....

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
That's what makes black and white a wonderful medium...eh? Anyhoo...how about a real life picture of her the compare to....hrmm? Just wondering...everyone is a critic...eh?

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Sure, here you go....

Link, just in case it doesn't show (seems there are issues with the 3rd party site, sometimes...)

server4.uploadit.org...

[Edited on 14-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Geez Gaz, you're really good. Brilliant work, as usual.

It's unbelievable, the drawing just look so identical to the picture. Man you're like some kind of drawing god.

And you just keep 'em coming! How can you do so much drawing in so few time???

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well, she had to work over the weekend, and I was home... As I mentioned, only took about 6 hours total for this one...(most of it's hair, and that's pretty quick and easy to do...) The face took about 4 1/2 hours of the 6....and about a 1/2 hour to do the initial sketching to proportion....

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:59 AM
link   
She loved it!
Next up is the one of my mom as a little girl....for her b-day in Jan.

new topics

top topics

join