It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Teens Thrive In College

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

A new study shows U.S. students who enter college at 12 to 14 years of age no longer fit the stereotype of unhappy, humorless and isolated "nerds."

In fact, the University of Washington research paints a much different and much more positive and multifaceted portrait of such gifted students.

"In reality they are extremely versatile, interested, interesting and sociable," said Kathleen Noble, lead author of the study and director of the UW's Halbert and Nancy Robinson Center for Young Scholars.

The study showed the vast majority of students entering UW at an early age did so for the intellectual challenge and most said their lives have lived up to their own and their parents' expectations in a number of work, intellectual and personal categories.

"People often ask us what happens to our (early enrollment) students after they graduate," said Noble.
"This study shows for the most part they are happy and their lives are enriched socially, intellectually and emotionally."

SOURCE:
PhysOrg.com

With the dropping rates of high school graduates and what seems to
be a generation that's half intelligent and half ignorant, I think this
study is a real eye opener to how individuals exist and develop in
differing educational environments.

To often people look at younger people in college as odd, and in
some cases may even be argued that younger people don't belong
in college simply because the person in question has a preconcieved
opinion that you are'nt capable of things until a specific age.
But with this new study, we see quite the opposite picture, with those
individuals thriving in there environment and going on to live good,
happy and satisfying lives.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
My only concern with young children in college is they don't have the same opportunity to make life long friends of the same age group. Now these kids are gifted no doubt and ready for the challenge of college in most cases but to draw from my own experiences most of what I would consider my Life Long friends are of a similiar age group as me thus allowing us to have more things in common i guess.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It is a valid concern JJ, but not evereyone gets along with people
there age.

For instance, I never got along with people my aghe, and even
now the mahority of my friends are atleast three years older
than me.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
My daughter is a freshman in college right now. She had a miserable time in high school but because of policy she wasn't allowed to go to college. I wish she had been able to at least take a couple of classes in college. She is so much happier now. She now has an active social life and is in a soriety in high school is just didn't happen. I've no doubt those gifted kids are happy in college; high school isn't forgiving of differences.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
It is a valid concern JJ, but not evereyone gets along with people
there age.

For instance, I never got along with people my aghe, and even
now the mahority of my friends are atleast three years older
than me.

How true. I have never really meshed well with my generation. While my generation was going to movies,skating rinks, listening to music and such, I was sitting and talking to 50-70 year old men about politics,religion and war..
I have always had a hard time talking to people in my age group, 30 and under. The things that they consider important seems rather mundane to me. If it doesn't have bite, I really see no point in discussing it..

[edit on 18-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Kids smart enough to go to college at those ages are usually just a bit isolated by their giftedness.

Letting them attend college allows them to interact with those who are on their intellectual level.

However, kids, regardless of how smart are, are still kids and responsible parents should see to it that they maintain interaction with children their own age.

A 14 year old smart enough to study physics with an 18 year old would probably not be comfortable playing baseball with eighteen year olds.

When I was young, my best friends were always several years older than me, but I still had friends my own age.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
One very important factor that simply cannot be overlooked is the way unbridled freedom affects people without the maturity to control their urges.

I went to college 2 years early, dropping out of HS to do so, and I couldn't handle it. Too many drugs, too many girls, too much temptation in general. When you first leave home, it's like the chains have been removed, and there's definitely the tendency to go a little nuts.

Some kids are really well-suited to freedom of that sort, but parents should use their judgement in determining the level of maturity present in their child. If the kid is of the sort who does what needs to be done without being pressured or bribed or forced, then they might really blossom in the freedom-rich environment that's present at college. If they're used to setting their own bar and reaching it, then college could put their will and drive to better use.

But if we're talking about kids who are still lacking in self-control and maturity, being away from home, and exposed to a thousand temptations, it's probably too much for them, and it can easily overwhelm good judgement.

I had to leave college and go to work in the real world for several years before I gained some measure of self-control and responsibility, then I was able to go back and get decent marks, and actually attend class.

Either way, I definitely wasn't going back to HS. I'd sooner peel off my own skin with a dull spoon than spend another day in a High School class. :shk:

top topics

join