It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Luanches Universal Healthcare Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

HARRISBURG, PA.- Pennsylvania became the fifth U.S. state to seekuniversal health coverage for its citizens on Wednesday when it unveiled a plan to provide medical insurance for some three-quarters of a million residents who currently have none.

Along with other states including Massachusetts and California, Pennsylvania is joining a growing movement among U.S. states to tackle the problem of residents without health care insurance, which according to some estimates number as many as 46 million Americans or about 15 percent of the population.

Amid rising costs, the United States spends about 16 percent of gross domestic product on health care, significantly higher than nations such as Canada, at 9.7 percent, and France, at 9.5 percent, which have nationalized health systems, according to the National Coalition on Healthcare, which seeks universal coverage and cost containment in the U.S. system.

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said the plan, called Cover All Pennsylvanians, would provide affordable basic health coverage to small businesses and uninsured individuals through the private health insurance market at a time when many cannot afford it.

SOURCE:
news.Yahoo.com

I'm glad to see another state is taking the initiaitive to make sure
that it's citizens have healthcare plans, though I honestly did'nt
expect Pennsylvania to be in the top five first states to do so.

It is to bad that it has taken this long for it to start to happen in
America, considering so much of the civilized world already has
this, and shows good results with it.

It's my opinion that everyone has the right to healthcare, regard-
less if they can afford it or not, and that it is the governments job
to make sure that everyone does have healthcare.

Comments, Opinions?

[edit on 1/17/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the letting us know Iori, actually this bodes well for me being how my last health care plan expired recently.

What pleases me most however is that this is a state initiative not a federal mandate. I am all for the states having some control and not relying on the federal Government for everything.

new topics

join