It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.002 AU Near Earth Asteroid tomorrow

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Lot of "ifs and maybe's, throw in some mights".
If it does, it does. If not...oh well. Another pointless thread.

Lex

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Not pointless at all Lex.

It was started when I found some thing that was taken off the web real fast, so i thought the very least i could do was post a heads up on it with Flyers Fans help.

Now, it turns out there are alot of ifs and buts, but thats like life is it not?

Are you going to go into a ball, stay there till you die? you might as well because life itself contains alot of ifs and buts, and by your logic is therefore pointless.

Its not a thread you like or want to add constructivley to thats fine, stay off it.
Pointless? not at all.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If it did hit the Earth, it wouldn't be big deal. From the Impact Effects Calculator:

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 1.00 km = 0.62 miles
Projectile Diameter: 38.00 m = 124.64 ft = 0.02 miles
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 7.60 km/s = 4.72 miles/s
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 2.49 x 1015 Joules = 594.66 KiloTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth is 73.7 years

Atmospheric Entry:
The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 41200 meters = 135000 ft
The projectile bursts into a cloud of fragments at an altitude of 10200 meters = 33600 ft
The residual velocity of the projectile fragments after the burst is 3 km/s = 1.86 miles/s
The energy of the airburst is 2.10 x 1015 Joules = 0.50 x 100 MegaTons.
No crater is formed, although large fragments may strike the surface.

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the Earth's rotation period or the tilt of its axis.
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Air Blast:
What does this mean?

The air blast at this location would not be noticed. (The overpressure is less than 1 Pa)

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
cool dude!

Whats that from? do you have a linkie for it at all?

Cheers for the info. Air blast even if it did hit us, cool.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The link is in my post. Click on Impact Effects calculator.

We know the diameter (I assumed a worst case of 38m) and relative velocity from the NASA page. I assumed it was made of dense rock, and it would impact at 45 degrees (the statistically-most-likely impact angle). You can play around with the values if you like, but even very worst-case, it won't even leave a crater. It would might shower some large chunks over a small area, but given the surface area of the Earth, I think it's safe to say you don't need to worry about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Links that have been taken off the net? Sounds strange to me. Have you guys tried the site that archives most of the web? web.archive.org...

[edit on 17-1-2007 by Slash]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Any other news on it?
How close exactly will it get? ( I divided 1 AU, 150 million miles, by 0.0019, the closest it will be, and got 1.26... not sure how close that is)
Any time frame?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
It cant be!!!!

Why you do this to me? You trying to scare the daylights out of me?

I think i did the right thing by having a Margarita tonight and being here at my sons house

Ok, i will calm down and check this thouroughly before I LOSE MY MIND!!!!!

AY DIOS MIO!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sure, now i'm FRANTIC and there's nobody around.

Just how BIG is this thing???

Pebble or Mountain?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The object is, at most, 38m in diameter. It is moving at 7.6 km/s relative tot he Earth (which is a low speed on average). If you read my posts above, you will see that even in the the remote case where this thing will impact Earth, worst case, it will break up in the atmosphere and rain down some debris (which will cover a very small area). There will be no crater. It will create no noticeable pressure wave.

And again, there is no reason to believe it will even hit the Earth. It will pass close but nothing so far indicates it's course will intersect the Earth. But, if it did, it would be absolutely nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Thank you, Nat.

I hope the fragments dont land close to Flyersfan's home

I love her too much and wouldnt want her hurt...i'd have to call her Peg.

Well, i will be with you as whatever happens happens.

Good luck everyone. (Thanks for the info, FF)

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Nothing to worry about. NEOs have passed close to Earth many times before in recent history, sometimes even within lunar orbit distance. 300,000 km is still a tremendous distance and it's ridiculously statistically unlikely that it will even come close to hitting anything.

Originally posted by clearwater
Wow, that's coincidental, I had a weird sixth sense of gravity today, one that stretched beyond Pluto. It was a semi-physical awareness of the gravity of all the planets we don't name that are in the sun's system. It seemed to root directly in the chakras extending out with visceral certainty, like the imprint of an astral bodies attempt to flee the last planets gravity.
(Walkings' the bomb.)

Maybe we're are approaching the event horizon of our much beloved Venus transient consciousness shift. Or maybe we're about to be hit by incoming. lol

Such is life learning the 5 B's.

So.... do you even know what an event horizon is? Or are you just stringing random words together?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
If it did hit the Earth, it wouldn't be big deal. From the Impact Effects Calculator:

Air Blast:

The air blast at this location would not be noticed. (The overpressure is less than 1 Pa)

So if this hit the atmosphere, it would be smaller than the Tunguska event then, though apparently some chunks might hit the ground. Still it might scare some people if they hear a loud bang from nowhere over their heads.

Oh well, there are plenty more asteroids out there.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   

It will create no noticeable pressure wave.

There certainly would be a blast wave if an asteroid 38 metres in diameter exploded in Earth's atmosphere, and it wouldn't need to be near the ground to do so. The famous Tunguska event in 1908 was caused by an object roughly 50 metres across exploding at an altitude of something like 10 kms above the Earth's surface, and yet it still flattened 2000 square kms of Siberian forest.

Information from the Minor Planet Center indicates the following:-

2007BD....... 0.002167AU (324178 kms) on January 18.12
2007BB....... 0.002589AU (387309 kms) on January 19.64

[edit on 18-1-2007 by Mogget]

[edit on 18-1-2007 by Mogget]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Here's something from an anonymous poster

Original Anonymous Post By: anon_89685
This anonymous post is in response to ATS thread: .002 AU Near Earth Asteroid tomorrow
you people crack me up...
www.spaceweather.com...

Actually, that idiot anonymous poster cracks ME up.

First - hiding behind 'anonymous' to slam a thread. How mature. NOT!

Second - I already linked to that site on my very first post here. obviously anon-boy didn't bother to read the thread. That site was acknowledged.

Third - So what if there are 800+ NEOs ... this one is coming very close and we'd like to know if we can see it in our telescopes.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Here it says miss distance is 0.0022AU, but in your orbit data, FlyersFan, it says 0.0019AU. I wonder if this means that it's getting closer than first expected...

I saw that too. I was wondering which one was the most up to date and I was also wondering about the effects of gravity. I'm sure that NASA would take gravity into account but then again they are the ones that bring us multi-million dollar space equipment that doesn't work because they forget the difference between metric units and those we use here in America.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
why is it that all the time now we look up and a diffrent astroid flies by closer then we thought.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Does anyone know the ETA for this rock?

Thank you~

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

as seen in this simulation this object comes within .0019 au and shadows earth for a couple of weeks. You can view this in motion by clicking on the fast forward button .

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
since it will 'shadow earth' I'd like to see if we can see it with our telescope. Guess it can only do that if it's outside our shadow, right? the sun would have to be on it to be able to see it.

Oh .. if it's shadowing earth for a few weeks that means the orbit, at least temporarily, slips into ours???? Moving in the same direction but from behind us? hmmmm .. slip streaming us a bit??

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join