It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Recording Cell Phone Calls?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 08:07 AM
link   
In Europe I know that they record every single cell phone call that takes place as a security precaution. Does anyone know if they do the same thing here? It would not surprise me considering the recent terrorism scares.

Maybe the NSA/CIA/FBI has a new version of Echelon out.

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Did you hear ATT talking earlier this week about they were considering routing all of their calls via the web?
Their attention has been gained by the Vonage Company-
Makes me wander...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainMooPoo
In Europe I know that they record every single cell phone call that takes place as a security precaution.

Do you have any links to back that up?

xn

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
One of my teachers said that the govt wanted to buy logs of the calls from AT&T.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
even if they are recording every cellphone call...

SO WHAT!!!

well unless you are talking about blowing up something...

then it would be a big deal for you...

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

SO WHAT!!!

im with Russian on this, you have nothing to worry about unless your planning to blow a few buildings up or kill a few world leaders

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   

SO WHAT!!!

you are brainwashed, i am innocent until PROVEN guilty. not vice-versa

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Or you're trying to buy a dime bag of pot. This is utter BS. This is a great way to turn responsible adults into possible terrorists. You don't have to talk about blowing up buildings to grab attention, I'm sure that if one spoke in the wrong context it could be viewed as a possible terrorist threat. I hate phones, they never really allow for the best communication. Nuances in voice tone and body language are all important. If the government was merely looking at logs of your conversations, how will they know what you meant?? I'd be pissed if the government tapped my phone (or admitted to have been tapping phones), my conversation is between me and the person on the other end of the line. No inbetweens, keep your damn nose out of my business.

No one else cares?? So long as youre not a terrorist what do you have to care about? This is YOUR life, you are an adult, not a child the government needs to babysit.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Yes, I thnik that is even how the Echelon system works. Listening to every phone/fax/e-mail/cell-phone conversation, and picking up on key words or phrases. For example, if you use" bomb and president" in the same sentence.

But, I totally agree being watched by them on this one.... In America, we a innocent until proven guilty, or I certainly hope so. Maybe some high school student is doing a research paper on terrorism, and makes a call to a friend for help. He could easily be picked up as a suspected terrorist.

It's sad..

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   

SO WHAT!!!

Logically, that makes sense...that is, until you've been watched and monitored. It changes you. It changes everything. It's not what makes us Americans; but it IS what makes people HATE Amerika.

Imagine being innocent. Maybe a new job at an Airline, some unusual banking transactions from an inheritance... You are no longer innocent once you make that radar.

And nothing is ever the same. It's government rape. (PERIOD)

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
this is just another goverment hypocrasy(sp).in 1985 the goverment mad it illegal for police scanners to be able to pick up cell and cordless phones for privacy reasons...then they wanna go and tap our calls....wrong answer ohh yes but the government is always right....and besides this fact why should they listen in none of thier busness says i....they had advanced knowdlege of pearl harbor..did it help??and as for innocent till proven guilty...why are u stuck in jail till u make bond or your trial comes up?? sounds like guilty until proven innocent

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by chimpchimp]

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

SO WHAT!!!

im with Russian on this, you have nothing to worry about unless your planning to blow a few buildings up or kill a few world leaders

"you shouldn't care unless you have something to hide"

this is exactly the argument that will be used to pass a bs law like this. most people who say they have nothing to hide from the govt in their phone calls are misleading themselves. i am very surprised that any members at ats support something that strips us of our privacy.

i think before we allow them complete acces to our priivate affairs, they should declassify everything and expose all the lies they keep from us. im sure the govt wouldn't take too kindly to having all it's "private" conversations and decisions exposed to the masses.

[Edited on 1-19-2004 by dunkleskates]

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

SO WHAT!!!

Logically, that makes sense...that is, until you've been watched and monitored. It changes you. It changes everything. It's not what makes us Americans; but it IS what makes people HATE Amerika.

Imagine being innocent. Maybe a new job at an Airline, some unusual banking transactions from an inheritance... You are no longer innocent once you make that radar.

And nothing is ever the same. It's government rape. (PERIOD)

government rape is exactly what this is.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   

SO WHAT!!!

At what point would an invasion of your privacy, stop being alright with you? So you don't mind them listening to your phone calls, would it be alrght if they took a look at your medical records anytime they wanted to, or perhaps your bank accounts? Would it be alright if they decided there would be less terrorism if they installed listening devices in everyones home? Then they decide too much terrorism going on they must be writing notes, ok its time to bring in the cameras, no room without one you will only write notes on the toilet paper if they leave one out of the bathroom, and then no pillow talk should go unheard and then lets pass a law that you cannot make love under the covers after all; all that body movement could just be a ruse for writing down plans to pass on to your terrorist friends. So when is it not alright for them to invade your privacy? After all, your not doing anything wrong. So why worry?

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by goose]

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I can speak as someone who was monitored via the phone and internet for almost 6 months because I told a friend that I was listening to a song called "kill the president". The words Kill and President, when used together, will cause a wiretap on your home phone line. Firstly, the song was written when Reagan was in office, and secondly, it's a fu�king song. I had my lines tapped for six months for listening to a song.

You might think that having conversations monitored isn't a big deal unless you have something to hide. Imagine when you're on the phone, trying to sidestep any word that could be misconstrued into having some meaning as either a terrorist activity or any other activity that could harm yourself or others. For six months, I couldn't discuss current events with my friends here or overseas *cause saying bomb or anthrax will sound worse when talking to people overseas, I'd imagine*, I couldn't discuss the kind of music I was listening to *Let's see, kill the president, murder the government, anarchy for sale, etc.* because my line was tapped. The only thing I have to hide is an anarchist flyer with a picture of bush on it that says "stop me before I kill again" and several racks of cd and vinyl punk albums, all of which are supposed to be protected by freedom of speech.

I am not a patriot. I used to be, I used to believe in this country, but that was several years ago. Then, this PATRIOT Act came along, and I began to despise Amerika because I can see things getting this bad:

At what point would an invasion of your privacy, stop being alright with you? So you don't mind them listening to your phone calls, would it be alrght if they took a look at your medical records anytime they wanted to, or perhaps your bank accounts? Would it be alright if they decided there would be less terrorism if they installed listening devices in everyones home? Then they decide too much terrorism going on they must be writing notes, ok its time to bring in the cameras, no room without one you will only write notes on the toilet paper if they leave one out of the bathroom, and then no pillow talk should go unheard and then lets pass a law that you cannot make love under the covers after all; all that body movement could just be a ruse for writing down plans to pass on to your terrorist friends. So when is it not alright for them to invade your privacy? After all, your not doing anything wrong. So why worry?

After all, it's not a big deal unless you have something to hide.

BTW--Mad props on your list goose

***EDIT***
Listening to politically charged music and questioning the actions of the government does not make you a terrorist who should be monitored, it makes you an American who should be commended for doing your civic duty, IMO.

[Edited on 19-1-2004 by kaoszero]

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The only secure conversation is now face to face and that has obvious potential for leaks also.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
as THENEO said, eve face to face conversations have a potential for leaks. can satellites use something like a bionic ear, but powerful enough to hear conversations on the surface?

i heard a few years back that some satellites could, at the time, read a newspaper over your shoulder. factor in the fact(or presumption) that the technology owned and used by the govt is far more advanced than what we have access to or are told about, and also that it has been a few years, so advances could (and most likely would) have been made. how close up can satellites see now?

top topics

join