It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Males who cry on 'American Idol' are a disgrace to their gender!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not against men crying in general--public or otherwise, and I'll sheepishly admit I've done both myself on more occasions than I'd like to remember--but as others have said, you go on there, you should know well in advance that you're gonna get creamed unless you're already about primed for a record deal anyways.

I have my moments when I think I can sing--and on very rare occasions, my fiance agrees with--but even when I'm at "top form" I'd never be dumb enough to put myself through that without expecting to get reamed by Simon or Randy. The most I'd hope for is a simple "No, not right for us," and I think I'd be pretty lucky to get that.

I dunno; I figure that if you're not able to handle it if things go wrong, you shouldn't try. If you try, you should be prepared for the worst. Even if everyone you know swears up and down you'd put to shame, you should still be ready for Simon to be an ass, or at least to hold your emotions until you get into the car or the bathroom.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't watch the show either, I think it's disgraceful that this is how we are discovering out musicians nowdays...but I know the type of singer you're talking about. The angry metal singer who has no versitiliy in their voice. I know a lot of guys who sing like that personally and yeah...they have a lot of people telling them that they are great when they are only great for singing one way.

However to be fair, even if they are mediocre singers...when you work so hard for something, it still hurts each time you are rejected. A lot of these wanna-be singers, it's not just a hobby to them. They take it very seriously, more seriously than you probably understand.

Hopefully that guy will take the hint and maybe get some voice lessons or something to expand his horizons.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I've been known to cry if it means I'd get lucky.

That was in my mis-spent youth, however.

Ahem.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Did anybody else see that red-head guy who sang Bohemian Rhapsody?

That was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.
:w:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Well, they certainly need to suck it up and stop crying. It is embarrassing for themselves to act the way they do, but I hardly see how they are a disgrace to their gender. My girlfriend is a fan of the show, so I find myself watching it as well. The auditions are the shows I tune into most, simply to watch these people embarrass themselves. Girls cry, yeah move on we've seen it too often. But when we see these guys busting out in tears, it really makes you wonder. I don't think they've disgraced our whole gender, but can you imagine what their next day of school was going to be like after that?

The high school student that comes in full of arrogance, and leaves broken in tears. How the hell does he explain this to his school mates?

Sooo..."Dude"... they told you that you can not sing, and you cried? On television? In front of millions of people? Hold up, Hold up... you can't even sing but you sat in a god damn line up for how many days? Just to embarrass yourself and cry?

Now that is what is a disgrace. The crying adds to it, but these knuckle heads who quit their jobs and can not carry a note.

Anyone see that woman who sang "Pussy Cat Dolls - Dontcha" and had her mother in the room? What a rig that was.

It would be funny if we had a member of ATS who actually auditioned for the show. Given the size of ATS, and the amount of people who try out, it may not be that far fetched.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'm so tired of seeing those little nancy boys crying after getting turned away.

I can't stand American Idol so obviously I don't watch. Now that you are telling me that the 'men' cry ... I'm glad I don't watch. Sorry guys, call me seriously old fashioned, but men aren't supposed to cry for themselves and their careers like that ... it's weak and lame.

Flame me all you guys want .. but I HATE to see men crying (except at a funeral, that's understandable).

That's just how I feel.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Old stereotypes die hard.

Women have overcome many of their stereotypes which is met with applause. But with men, displaying any behaviour that goes against the "norm" is ridiculed.

I work with troubled youth. It is a profession that is dominated by women. Probably eight women for every two men. The stereotypes that I listen to on a regular basis, from people who are in a position to teach our clients different, are beginning to grow thick on me.

Don't get me wrong, the men we are discussing on AI are overboard. But the notion that it is wrong for men to cry, well, it is a little silly. Just as any of the older stereotypes on women are.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but why is it such a taboo subject for men when it comes to crying?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You know, that's a good question. You've got the Phil Donahue/Alan Alda faction who have been encouraging males to "get in touch with their feminine side" for years now. This is the same group that advocates non-competitive games exclusively, and the elimination of grades because they can damage little Junior's (or Junioretta's) self-esteem.

Now obviously you can go overboard on either side of this issue. And here's my view - I see nothing wrong with emotion. If a guy's prone to be emotional, that's just how he is. However, there are guys that just don't happen to be emotional and/or demonstrative.

I'll allow that emotions don't make a man less of a man, as long as it's understood that the lack of demonstrative emotional behavior on the part of a man doesn't make him less human.

And I still think there are times you just need to suck it up. Lots of women will talk about how "sweet" it is when a man's vulnerable, but trust me - when it's all said and done, a woman wants a man to be a man.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
when it's all said and done, a woman wants a man to be a man.

Another stereotype.

There are plenty of women that appreciate a man that can express his emotions rather than bottling them up inside. Sure, both are nice in moderation, but to say one wants one or the other, is a stereotype.

These suckers are tough to get passed.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't think they're a disgrace to their gender
[edit on 17-1-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

I have to agree with
Benevolent Heretic.....I don't think they disgrace their gender by crying on American Idol. Of course I think that their crying is due to other reasons; like the realization that they have just made fools of themselves in front of an entire television audience and half the world as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'm so tired of seeing those little nancy boys crying after getting turned away.

Flame me all you guys want .. but I HATE to see men crying (except at a funeral, that's understandable).

That's just how I feel.

See, now you hurt my feelings.
I might just tear up at any second.
But first...a song. So that YOU may tear up first.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

There are plenty of women that appreciate a man that can express his emotions rather than bottling them up inside. Sure, both are nice in moderation, but to say one wants one or the other, is a stereotype.

Hair-split time. There are many women who say they appreciate a man who can "express his emotions". You find them mostly on tv. In the real world, this is bollocks. Some stereotypes exist because there's a basic truth in them.

Start another thread and maybe we can get some women to chime in on this particular topic. Of course, it will depend greatly on how the question is phrased, but it could be interesting.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It reminds me of an old Dennis Miller stand-up routine (when he was funny) and he talked about how his wife said she liked it when a man cried, then he says that after about twenty minutes of his crying she started to wonder "Why did I marry this expletive?!!". Then he goes on to blame Dan Fogelberg for turning him into a pussy.

Good stuff!

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
There are many women who say they appreciate a man who can "express his emotions". You find them mostly on tv. In the real world, this is bollocks.
Start another thread and maybe we can get some women to chime in on this particular topic.

I'll chime in right here. I dated my share of bad boys, invulnerable "he-men", but when it came time for me to be serious about a man and look for something beyond the surface, I found a man who is very much in touch with his feminine side and not afraid to express his emotions. And I married him.

There is a myth that the expression of emotion by a man equates to weakness, when the opposite is true. In general, men don't express many of their emotions because they're afraid of how it will look to other people.

It also takes a strong woman to NOT buy the myth.

Secondly, saying that women want a he-man is like saying black people are thieves. I'm sure there are some women who want to be with a man who never cries or shows vulnerability, but there are just as many who just LOVE a man to show and express all of who he is.

[edit on 23-1-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I'll chime in right here. I dated my share of bad boys, invulnerable "he-men", but when it came time for me to be serious about a man and look for something beyond the surface, I found a man who is very much in touch with his feminine side and not afraid to express his emotions. And I married him.

...the exception that proves the rule. Thank you.

I need to drag my knuckles across the office now and kill something just for pleasure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join