It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Launches Presidential Exploratory Committee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Obama is officially throwing his hat into the ring (or at least exploring the possibility of doing so):

NY Newsday

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Barack Obama took an important formal step on Tuesday toward a Democratic presidential campaign that would make him the most formidable African-American candidate ever, offering a call to common purpose as a remedy to bitter partisan divisions and marking a potential turning point in the nation's race relations.

By filing papers to form a presidential exploratory committee, the first-term Illinois senator signaled his intent to run for the presidency, a move that he has been publicly considering for months. Advisers said Obama and his family had made the personal commitment to a grueling, two-year presidential bid and the senator now would concentrate on assembling a campaign apparatus and testing support among financial backers and grass-roots activists.

The Democratic lawmaker will make a formal announcement on his candidacy Feb. 10 in Springfield, Ill., where barely two years ago he served as a mere state senator. He will return a cultural phenomenon, a best-selling author coveted as a guest by television talk show hosts and followed by celebrity photographers. He has come to embody the hopes and dreams of many Americans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I still think he's just got his eyes on being Hillary's VP candidate, but who knows? Maybe he'll actually fight full force for the Dem nomination.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

posted by djohnsto77

Obama is throwing his hat into the ring or at least exploring the possibility of doing so . .

Illinois junior Senator Barack Obama took an important step Tuesday toward a Democratic presidential campaign that would make him the most formidable African-American candidate ever, offering a call to common purpose as a remedy to bitter partisan divisions and marking a potential turning point in the nation's race relations.

The Democratic lawmaker will make a formal announcement on his candidacy Feb. 10 in Springfield, Ill., where barely two years ago he served as a state senator. He has come to embody the hopes and dreams of many Americans. [Edited by Don W]

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I still think he's got his eyes set on being Hillary's VP candidate, but who knows? Maybe he'll actually fight full force for the Dem nomination. [Edited by Don W]

Hillary’s year is 2008. Barack’s year is 2016. (2012 if the Dems lose in '08.)

Yes, it is important to him to show how much support he can arouse. No, he will not “fight full force” for the nomination. I do not think he has the chips to call in that Hillary has. The Big Money Guys still dominate both parties. It’s CFR. Campaign Finance Reform. I understand exactly why the R&Fs don’t want real CFR, but for the life of me, I cannot comprehend why ordinary Americans are opposed to it. It’s odd. It’s like they never heard of self-interest. Or know what it means.

I have argued elsewhere on ATS that putting a black on a ticket headed by a woman is asking more than the voters will be wiling to overlook or more importantly, to support. At one time Colin Powell - until he blew it with his apology for his February 2003 speech to the UN and languid rejection of the Bush doctrine - would have been a formidable candidate. Although an aside, I have argued the Democratic candidate in 2008 needs a VP who can put the South into play. Edwards is a loser and far too far left. OTOH, the decision to hold the Convention in Denver points towards a western candidate for VP.

[edit on 1/17/2007 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Obama would be crazy to cede the presidency to Hillary Clinton.

He's got more play than her.

He is actually Hillary's worst nightmare.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
He's to young.
I agree, Hillary will take it, and He'll take it 4yrs later.

But good to see an African American taking the stand, when a mere few decades ago they were punished for riding the white section on a bus!

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The time is now for Obama. He doesn't want to spend any more time in the senate than he has to. If he wants to run as the political outsider, this is the time to do it. If he gets elected as president, he will be older than Bill Clinton was when he got elected.

Here is an interesting editorial comparing Clinton and Obama. Enjoy!
www.washingtonpost.com...

top topics

join