It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL to play in Europe for the first time ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this should be in U.S. or World Sports...

The National Football League (American football) will hold its first match ever outside of North America in London's Wembley Stadium!

WEMBLEY or Twickenham will host the first ever NFL game to be played outside North America.

London edged out Berlin, Mexico City and Toronto to host the event.

The full 60-minute game will be contested by two official NFL teams, and will carry points as part of the regular season.

Although teams will be only be confirmed in February, The Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants are expected to play in what will be a showcase for American football.

Hertfordshire

This should be interesting! David Beckham bringing soccer to the U.S. and the NFL holding a game in Europe...who knew???

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
You mean a regulation NFL game and not one of the Bowl games? I had thought they packed Wembley stadium for an NFL game in the past already?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
You mean a regulation NFL game and not one of the Bowl games? I had thought they packed Wembley stadium for an NFL game in the past already?

That's what the article seems to say...I'm far from a sports expert so I don't mean to endorse what it says personally, I hardly ever watch these games. I just thought it was newsworthy.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

The old Wembley, in fact, staged the NFL's first officially sanctioned pre-season game outside the US in 1986 when the world champion Chicago Bears beat the Dallas Cowboys. [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/other_sports/american_football/6113938.stm]>LINK

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

The old Wembley, in fact, staged the NFL's first officially sanctioned pre-season game outside the US in 1986 when the world champion Chicago Bears beat the Dallas Cowboys. [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/other_sports/american_football/6113938.stm]>LINK

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Susquehanna

Actually, you're close, but you're forgetting about the Cardinals/49ers game played in Mexico City on October 2, 2005. Though it's quite understandable that you forgot that one...

You know why I'M forgetting that one Gib.., er, Susq. What a frickin embarrassing exhibition the Niners put up in that game.

The thing about exhibition games is that the watcher doesn't get the FULL effect of the game, it's patently worthless and they aren't seeing the stars play the WHOLE game. If you want to export the NFL play a regular season game, where the outcome MATTERS. Seems like a logical progression to me. We'll take Beckham but check out OUR product.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It does say this will be the first official game played outside of North America, not the United States. So any games in Mexico and Canada wouldn't be included.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
My bad. I knew I could count on somebody to keep me honest. Yes I did totally forget about the Niners-Cards in Mexico City.

I am pretty sure that's the only regular season NFL game at this point that has been played outside the US. So this next one in London will be the second regular season game outside the US and the first one outside North America. Still not one in Canada yet. A little surprising.

Anyway-

GO COLTS!

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Good idea ,im all for it im getting hooked on NFL over the last year or so the coverage on sky sports is brilliant , and im not surprised if the games a sell out .

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I know NFL has been getting some attention in Europe, but what about American college football. Many Americans prefer the college game to the pro game. Perhaps Europeans may feel the same way. Who knows, we can have a college bowl game played in Europe.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
In case you haven't heard, the announcement was made that the game will be October 27th between the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants. It will be a home game for the Dolphins.

Announcement was made by new Dolphins head coach, Cam Cameron. Ol' Cam used to be the head coach at my alma mater, Indiana University, where they were less than stellar, to put it mildly. He's done a good job lately as offensive coordinator for San Diego, so we'll see how he does as the top guy with an NFL team.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
According to reports the game is already a sell-out. Not sure but i think the ticket allocation was 80,000 and they had requests for over 500,000..

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Real Deal
According to reports the game is already a sell-out. Not sure but i think the ticket allocation was 80,000 and they had requests for over 500,000..

You gonna be there, dude?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I might grab myself a couple of corporate tickets

top topics

join