A Rant Against Myself

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm annoyed at myself on this forum. I've been here for over a year already and I still can't make very meaningful posts. I really want to get involved, but I have this problem. I'm always straight and to the point and my posts are pathetically short in comparison to everyone elses.

I've always had this problem in school, I would have to write an essay and I would end up summing everything up in three sentences and yeah...I suppose being straight and to the point is a good thing in some ways but I really need to learn to elaborate. I feel guilty for leaving such short posts. I can only remember roughly...I'd say four times that I actually had a decent sized post.

And I can only remember maybe twice or three times that I got involved in a thread more than just posting once, and actually getting into a debate sorta.

So thats my rant against myself.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Quality, not quantity, see, thats simple and to the point, and i am really just adding this last bit to make it longer so its not a one line post.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pshkwamy
Quality, not quantity, see, thats simple and to the point, and i am really just adding this last bit to make it longer so its not a one line post.

Wow, I cannot believe I haven't used that as an excuse before. It actually works.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
How about short but sweet. I'm not very good at this either. Striaght and to the point that's the way it should be.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have been here a full year longer than you have and I have started maybe 3 threads. Only one really got a response.

The main thing is that I have still gained so much from my time here. I post quite a bit these days, but I have gone months without posting in the past. I read a large number of posts, whether I post or not.

ATS can be quite an experience even if you don't post at all.
Don't be hard on yourself. Do go for quality over quantity. Never give up if participation here is important to you.

See you around,
WWN

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hi Kacen,
In here, ATS, I feel like a novice, but I listen, learn and at times speak.
Today I entered Rant to rant, when I do that I check out my fellow posters.
I agree with wellwhatnow, ATS is her for you even if you don't post.

Must post my rant
WIS

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
You know, I'd really rather have people like you posting on forums like this more often. Most of the time, people get all caught up in themselves and their own pretensiousness, and they think that their point is more valid because they surround it with lots of flowery language and try to make themselves sound smart. Short and to the point is great.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Don't knock yourself, short and to the point is a good way to contribute. Some threads can get so convoluted and confusing it needs a succinct post to bring it back on track.
I waffle and go off on tangents, read what I posted later and think WTF was I on????

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I know exactly what you are talking about.

We can slap all of these terms on it, like "short & sweet", but they are only creating an excuse. Rather than make excuses for it, lets try to fix it.

I think the biggest step you need to make to "extend" your posts is breaking the subject down. If you are responding to a specific post, do not quote the whole post in one. Break it down and look at the one reply from different angles. I find this alone will allow you to add some clarity to your own posts.

Separating different points into different topics will help. If you have one extremely large paragraph with five different points, odds are that three or four are going to get lost in the shuffle. So break your own post down into paragraphs that are somewhat of equal size.

Remember, most of what your saying is not what your saying at all. It is all in the presentation and how you say it.

If you are creating a thread pertaining to a specific subject. Try to think of three or four aspects of the topic and break them all down. For me, I tend to remain neutral as much as possible in an opening post. I think this helps in garnering positive attention from both sides of the coin. As the thread moves on, I slowly come down on one side of the fence. It keeps the thread on track and rarely has any baiting. If I were to create a thread from one side of the fence while calling out the other side, the thread would quickly become a battle field where we point fingers back and forth across the fence. So for me, neutrality is the biggest component in receiving some attention.

The thread should almost ask a question rather than make a statement. Not always, but sometimes.

I used to have some serious problems trying to elaborate my thoughts with any sort of substance. One paragraph and I basically had summed up my thoughts. But it was through ATS that I began to break down the subject and look at it from different angles. This allowed me to have a better understanding of the subject and your "skills" will quickly grow.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Some ways to get replies:

-Post Oppinions: An oppinion usually gets a response

-Stick to what you know Best: Everyone I can think of has an aera of speciality here. Some of us are really into aircraft, others conspiracy theories

- Try to go For something New: Pick a topic that isn't discussed that much or hasn't been out for a while

-Ask Questions: questions solicite answers.

Tim

[edit on 1/31/2007 by Ghost01]

new topics
top topics

join