It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cryptozoological conspiracies? Your thoughts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Greetings all, i just want to get some opinions on something I've been wondering about.

I think most of us believe that if proof or evidence of Alien life was found, the authorities would do what they could to cover-up this material. Perhaps for good reason, I don't know.

But what about proof or hard evidence of one of the many cryptoids? Say if big foot or 'El chupacabra' was caught or killed and turned over to the police or researchers, do you think that information would be made public? Some people have suggested that they have obtained evidence or even proof of these animals, turned it over to authorities, and the information "vanishes".
Do you think governments, police, or even scientists would attempt to "cover up" the exsistence of any of these creatures? And if so, why?

Personally, I don't. I'm not sure about Aliens (who really is?), but as far as Crytids go, I think the government or scientists are just as much in the dark as everyone else. And if a bigfoot or nessie was found, it wouldn't be life-changing, world-stopping event like, say, discovering Aliens would be. So there's no real reason for a cover-up.

But that's just me. What are you thoughts?

ID

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Howdy SevenZeroOne,

Sorry I do not have a link or clear details but I remember hearing about a Puerto Rican farmer who shot at El Chupacabra and a while later (maybe months) found its decomposing skeletal remains. He turned them into some form of local authority and they claimed it was simply a dog or cat. The man claimed that the skeleton that was returned to him was not the one he had found. Reasons for this may be that many believe El Chupacabra to be either extraterrestrial in origin or an escaped experiment, either was the public would outcry of physical evidence supporting either of these two theories would be great. Also this would hurt the government as people would lose trust in them especially if they were responsible for the creating this creature.

Bigfoot however is another story, as far as I can tell it is simply a large bipedal ape. Rumors state that UFOs have been spotted in the vicinity of Bigfoot sightings however I do not believe that this mammal is extraterrestrial in any way. I see no reason for the government to cover up the existence of Bigfoot if in fact it does exist.

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is a good question Seven. I can't really see any reason to hold back info about cryptids except, a few species could change the publics views on evolution or the age of the planet. I can't really think of any political advantage to be gained from lieing about cryptids though.

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I do not doubt that there is a conspiracy to conceal cryptids, but it lies in the scientific community rather than the gov. If something challenges the currents of scientific thought it will be squelched, in almost every case. The same happens to cryptozoologists, they are ridiculed by mainstream biologists.

XAOS

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I deeply doubt conspiricies within cryptozoology...
Unless......Nah forget it

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monk

Don't be so coy, Monk. What's your theory? Personally, I'm having a hard time thinking of logical reasons for someone to cover-up the existance of cryptids. Of course, it's not hard to imagine a scientist ignoring controversial data that refutes a theory he depends on. Even if a scientist has very solid proof that Bigfoot
exists, if he releases his findings he's taking a very big risk. One false move, one piece of ambigous data could mean the downfall of his career. Most people wouldn't take that risk. It's probably not so much a conspiracy, as it is proffesional cowardice.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharky

Originally posted by Monk

Don't be so coy, Monk. What's your theory? Personally, I'm having a hard time thinking of logical reasons for someone to cover-up the existance of cryptids. Of course, it's not hard to imagine a scientist ignoring controversial data that refutes a theory he depends on. Even if a scientist has very solid proof that Bigfoot
exists, if he releases his findings he's taking a very big risk. One false move, one piece of ambigous data could mean the downfall of his career. Most people wouldn't take that risk. It's probably not so much a conspiracy, as it is proffesional cowardice.

True. There's always the possiblity of being mocked. But that's not so much a "cover-up", but just refusal to accept or consider other possibilites.
I think if a scientist found REAL, HARD evidence of one of these creatures (say, the body of Bigfoot), they wouldn't hesitate at all to go public with it. After all, he'd be rich and famous for unearthing one of the greatest mysteries of the natural world.
I think we have the most to fear from scientists or people who find evidence that isn't exactly conclusive, refusing to open their minds to other possibilities.

I don't think any amount of hair samples, footprints, photographs, bones, or sonar readings are EVER going to do anything to help solve these mysteries. Somebody is either going to have to catch a live cryptid, or recover the intact corpse of a dead one. Only then will certain people open their minds.

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Agreed. Without a living or even dead specimen, most people will just close their minds to the existence of various creatures.

There is a major reason why many cryptids would be kept in the dark though from the public, and that of course revolves around money. The unknown sells � if a dead or alive Bigfoot was discovered in California, sells of Bigfoot merchandise would drop. Many tourist would shy away from visiting �Bigfoot museums�. The fans of the elusive Bigfoot would decrease. Throughout history this has happened with many animals and usually continues until their discovery or it is proven that they were a hoax. People love the mysterious and unknown and once the mysteriousness fades, so does the popularity with the creature itself.

ID

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Agreed. Without a living or even dead specimen, most people will just close their minds to the existence of various creatures.
But you must understand that dead or alive specimens are likely to be seised by the government. This is the case with at least one Chupacabra corpse. I am sure there has been plenty of physical evidence of many of the Cryptoids however I believe that these specimens are made to "disappear." Also note that there is physical evidence of El Chupacabra, all the dead animals with no blood in them. That is proof enough for me that SOMETHING, maybe not El Chupacabra but something out of the ordinary is responsible. I simply do not buy the "wild dogs" or "mice" theories.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
it seems very unlikely the goverment would try to cover that sort of thing exept: the animal was geneticly altered and accidently realeased or the animal is extremly dangrous and could cause panic.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I was within 15 feet of a big foot. I just think its just a reguler animale or the missing link in the chain

now only other thing i think is for sure is real is the goat sucker !

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Its unlikely the authorities would admit to having proof of the chupacabra unless they could 'prove' that it was an unknown species of terrestrial life. 'Prove' meaning invent. I saw some pix of one (a drawing based on eyewitness evidence) and it certainly didn;t look as if it came from earth.

The 'beast' in Brotherhood of the Wolf looked just like the drawing I saw, but it wasn't chupacabra (I wont say what it was in case I spoil the ending of the film for anyone wanting to see it).

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by Gothique]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
There is no good reason for the cover up of discovering a cryptozoological animal!
For an alien....maybe. To stop total fanatics going psycho. *Keep watching the stars!*

new topics

top topics

join