It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan civilians stop terror attack at U.S. base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- Two civilians thwarted an attempted terrorist attack Tuesday when a vehicle loaded with explosives attempted to crash through the front gate of a U.S. base in the Afghan capital, according to the U.S. military.

The two men, an interpreter and a security guard, dragged the apparent suicide bomber from the vehicle before he could detonate explosives, said Col. Tom Collins, the chief spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

"I think it's a pretty amazing and heroic event," Collins said.

He said that at about 9 a.m. Tuesday (10:30 p.m. ET Monday) a driver crashed his vehicle into Camp Phoenix, the base where the Afghan National Army and police are trained. The driver reached for what appeared to be a cord to detonate a bomb, he said.

"Amazingly, a couple of Afghans who just happened to be on the scene there realized what was happening," Collins said.

"Anyone's inclination would have been to run away but these guys are genuine heroes," Collins said.

Well, how bout dat. Afghan civilian heroes- to us. Dead men to the Taliban, if they are ever caught in a dark alley one night by the remaining desperados.

Even so, hopefully this will send a positive message to the people of Iraq to help stop the violence themselves as much as possible.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
You guy's never sieze to amaze me. The amount of racist's in the USA is overwhelming. When I watch CNN, there main story seems to be about people setting off car bombs, and suicide bomber's etc. What about the thousand of Iraqi's the American troops have killed? The innocent civilians. Well over 600,000 documented deaths. What happened did America set off a suicide bomb of their own? or Did they just go killing Iraqi's for the hell of it.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by acctnosam
You guy's never sieze to amaze me. The amount of racist's in the USA is overwhelming.

And the overwhelming number of mentally challenged posters outside the states never ceases to amaze us either.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by acctnosam
You guy's never sieze to amaze me. The amount of racist's in the USA is overwhelming. When I watch CNN, there main story seems to be about people setting off car bombs, and suicide bomber's etc. What about the thousand of Iraqi's the American troops have killed? The innocent civilians. Well over 600,000 documented deaths. What happened did America set off a suicide bomb of their own? or Did they just go killing Iraqi's for the hell of it.

And I thought OUR educational system was bad...
By the way, that Lancet report is widely criticized because of the method used. Also, it never states the Americans killed 600,000 people. It simply states that many people have been killed violently since the invasion.

[edit on 1/16/07 by pugachev]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Every visit to these boards just shows me how much America is really hated by the rest of the world.

I really wish the United States would seal its borders on all ends, bring its industry back to the states, use are own oil reserves in and around the country and mass are militaries at the borders and battle ships around are oil rigs and send drones to patrol the areas.

thats my take!

Then just watch as the world suffers without American intervention!

We have beaten the best so if you countries want to try us by all means bring it!

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
That point is oh so true ive been reading this site daily for over a year now and it is crazy how most who are not from the usa are always against us and what we try to do for the world. I also say close our borders and take all our troops home from around the world and let the rest of the world help themselves and then lets see how far they get without us.

[edit on 17-1-2007 by UncleSam27]

[edit on 17-1-2007 by UncleSam27]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I'm afghan and I know my family hated the Taliban. They were grateful that America over threw the taliban. Some of my family members are back in afghanistan living life there again after leaving since the soviet invasion. America's doing alot of god for the Afghan people, even if they are running a pipeline there, it's good to know that the American's are there if anything goes sour

from my understanding, the taliban are a bunch of arab's and pakistani's trying to infiltrate afghanistan and make it crazy strict. All afghan's want is peace and their homeland back

[edit on 17-1-2007 by acctnosam]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos

We have beaten the best so if you countries want to try us by all means bring it!

It is comments like this that smack of 'chest beating' and an air of superiority. That is really what gets others off side. We are a little bit sick of being constantly told how great the USA is, how the US can whoop others arses, got the biggest this, the fasted that. Hey we just do not need to be reminded constantly.

I like American people, but I do not like your US government. I think a lot of people feel this way. I am quite fearful of what the future may bring for your country and mine.

I mean no disrespect but sometimes some humility towards people of other countries who post here (most of us are allied to the US) would not go astray.

top topics

join