It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, the biggest con of all

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thesneakiod

Haven’t you noticed that ATS is full of posters with archaic ideas? Religion is probably the top one, but economic and political isolationism is a close second. I think the most disturbing thing is the almost total lack of real economics education among “educated” people. The average American doesn’t have the slightest clue how the current world economy works.
But back to religion. I think there is a certain mindset that needs simple explanations for the “big questions” so they can concentrate on the micro-events of life, which- let’s face it-are important thinks like jobs, food and shelter. All perfectly understandable. The general tenants of most religions are good for societies in keeping order, etc. The problem comes in when certain factions want their specific religious tenants to exercise control over society (Islamic extremists, US fundamentalists). Theocracies are always dangerous, and always stifle personal liberty. There are blatant theocracies like Iran, and subtle, creeping theocracies like the US was in danger of becoming in the 1980s-1990s. I think we’ve gotten over that as a nation, but I’ve still got one eye on Sarah Palin.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Office 4256

Tagging religion to "con" level just hit the mundane part of it. Religion is highwired to our human psyche to make sure we stayed the course. Religion makes sure we believe in a god or whatever= belief in a god or whatever makes us tow the party line of faith, sin and all those dogmas that make us humans feel something like guilt ridden of some sort.
Like catholics claims that when you were born you have to be baptized ASAP so the original sin you inherited from the first couple be cleansed??? a lot of really weird creeds like the mother of God, trinity et al. these leaves us common folks to gawk with utter amazement or disbelief or total submission and be manipulated or fooled or conned as you thread it.
ooops, almost forgot to mention heaven and of course hell.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by enkira]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thesneakiod

I think it is highly presumptuous and narrow-minded to lump together anything we have ever known as "religion" and call it a disease!

What would the world be like today if Buddha had never taught? The idea that we are capable of an awareness higher than self-interest and relationships more advanced than armed conflict has helped keep this world together for a long time. We cannot just turn our backs on it.

The finding that religious belief and teaching has been twisted, abused, and used to control populations to support crimes up to the level of genocide is undeniable. But all that tells us is that it is a "hot" subject. Criminals have always demonstrated their ability to warp valid human interests to suit their own perverted ends.

I think religion is the wrong target. I think insanity is the correct target.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Religion is nothing more than a belief system that many people believe in. People naturally try to convince others of there beliefs, whether it be UFOs, Atheism, 9/11; people still try and convince others and it is entirely human.

Now religion has been integrated into our culture and unfortunately once that happens you get power struggles, war, the usual politics. Religion also is a great way to gather followers, then brainwash them in something that was not even taught in the first place.

Religion is not the problem, people who use religion for political reasons are.

[edit on 20/8/2009 by Persicoana]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Your in the illusion that your utter nonsense is of value..... Jesus was a simple ordinary poverty stricken boy.... but he was the only begotten sun of the one true god...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join