It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train Derailment & Explosion In Kentucky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

BROOKS, Ky. -- A train derailment in Bullitt County, Ky., caused a fiery scene Tuesday morning.

The northbound train apparently derailed between Brooks and Shepherdsville, Ky., just south of the Jefferson-Bullitt County line on Huber Station Road near state road 1020.

The derailment occured at about 8:45 a.m.
www.wlky.com

This derailment involved the release of and the ignition of Cyclohexine. Persons in the area of one mile of the derailment are being evacuated, the evacuations do include an elementary school in the area. Cyclohexane is an irritant that can be very dangerous if it is set on fire. The said chemical is what is burning in one of the tank cars. Cyclohexane is a chemical compound that is used in the making of caprolactam, a chemical used in the manufacture of nylon.

Today's derailment comes on the heels of another derailment last in another part of Kentucky involving a CSX Corporation freight train. The train involved was a manifest freight bound from Birmingham, Alabama to Osborn Yard in Louisville. Derailment occured about twenty miles south of Louisville, Kentucky. According to www.bullsheet.com the train involved is the Q503, which runs daily from Birmingham to Cincinatti. Today's derailment involved the release of and the ignition of Butadine, an additive for Acrylonitrile Butadine Styrene.

[edit on 1/16/2007 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The one yesterday happened a town over from where I live. It's the same company involved. They are testing the river to see if the chemicals got into our water supply.

Been a weird couple of days. Both train wrecks, a cop shot down, and yet another pedestrian run down on the bypass this morning in the same place a couple of girls were run down just months ago. You can still see the police markings from the scene of the last one.

Today's train wreck is much worse than the one yesterday. Yesterday the cars broke off and traveled a long time. They were trying to stop the cars and ended up having to park a couple of engines on the rails to stop the cars and cause a derailment because the cars would've wrecked in town instead. Today they didn't get to intervene and cars started breaking loose the same way they did yesterday and caused the whole trail to derail. My dad's a truck driver and they're rerouting trucks because the interstate is bad in that area.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Chemical that was burning, and still is as of now, is Cyclohexane. Cyclohexane is a chemical that when inhaled, affects the central nervous system. If so much of this chemical is inhaled, it can kill a person.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
3rd train wreck now, same company in about 36 hours. 3 train wrecks from same company in less than 2 days in 3 different locations. 2 in ky, 1 in NY. What are the odds??? Something fishy here.

Yeah, the chemical that is being released into the air is very dangerous. With the wind it can travel to other areas too.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Third derailment was of the Q124 eastbound trailer train going through Rochester, NY. No hazmat release with the new one, even though it is a huge mess.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Make that 4 train wrecks. One more train wreck here in KY. Just happened and waiting for details. 4 train wrecks in about 48 hours. Same company for all 4 wrecks. 3 in KY 1 in NY

This 4th train wreck killed at least 2 people thus far.

What are the odds of this??

I'd stay far away from trains for a while...

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Maybe it's just a freak of nature that these accidents have occured one right on top of the other. Four wrecks, two states, same company. Something is going on here, what it is I don't know.

Let's just see if we can make it a perfect five accidents.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
WHY does it remind me of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. Train Wrecks, National Guard, Evacuations. It all smacks of either sabotage or seriously extreme negligence. What carrier was it? NS? Conrail? UP? Different every time? The same compant refered to above is the Plastics Company, not the rail carrier, right?

C

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Apparently this company had two other train derailments in Virginia within past few months. A friend of the family works for the company and my mom talked to him about it last night. So 6 derailments in maybe a 2 or 3 month time span with 4 of them occurring in about 48 hrs time.

I saw on the news tonight that the rails from the second wreck may have been tampered with. There were gashes in the rails where the derailment occurred. They're going to be investigating.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
I saw on the news tonight that the rails from the second wreck may have been tampered with. There were gashes in the rails where the derailment occurred. They're going to be investigating.

Tampering with the rails as a possibility? This accident, to me at least, doesn't look like the rails were tampered with. Then again, I could be very wrong about the cause.

The cause that I have given is a possibility of a melted axle catching on a nearby switch. Or, a wheel-bearing failed, causing the axle to come off of the truck(wheel) set.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
very odd, and all these incidents came after the NY 'Smell' and the thousands of birds dying over Texas.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Seems like Louisville is indeed an armpitt of the world...surrounded by plane crashes and train wrecks with 3rd world health care and everything else not American.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Make that five deraiments.

CSX derailed one just to the south of my location yesterday. This one was a four car smashup involving a coal train. This incident occured in Prenter, Boone County.

Here's the video of it.

www.wsaz.com

new topics

top topics

join