It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freight Train Derails South of Louisville, Kentucky.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
For the second time in as many days, a CSX Corporation freight train has derailed in the State of Kentucky. This makes the fourth major derailment for CSX in the past three months. The last derailment prior to these last two occured in the state of Ohio. This derailment marks the third major line closure in four months for CSX. Just yesterday, the mainline from Cincinatti southward was shut down due to another train derailment.

www.cnn.com
BROOKS, Kentucky (CNN) -- A train derailed Tuesday morning just south of Louisville, Kentucky, sparking a huge fire and shutting down part of nearby Interstate 65 in both directions, the Bullitt County Sheriff's Office said.

The blaze lit the dark morning sky, sending black smoke billowing into the air, while orange flames lined the railroad tracks for hundreds of yards alongside the derailment.

The train was operated by CSX, according to Kentucky State Police.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The derailment this morning comes on the heels of another derailment in the state of Kentucky. Yesterday's derailment occured in Irvine, Kentucky, thirty miles south of Lexington. Both derailments involved the release and ignition of hazardous materials from tanker cars that were involved in the crash. Both derailments have shut down two major north-south corridors for CSX from Cincinatti, Ohio. The chemical that has been burning is Cyclohexane. Cyclohexane is an irritant that can be very dangerous if it is set on fire. The said chemical is what is burning in one of the tank cars. Also, Cyclohexane is a chemical compound that is used in the making of caprolactam, a chemical used in the manufacture of nylon.

The location of this mornings derailment is just south of the Jefferson and Bullitt County line, between Shepardsville and Brooks, Kentucky, at the intersection of Kentucky State Route 1020 and Huber Station Road. Interstate 65 is shut down in both the north and southbound direction due to a lack of visibility from the smoke. A school nearest to the crash site has been evacuated. Kentucky Route 1020 is shut down in both directions for approximately one mile.

The line affected by this mess is the former Louisville & Nashville mainline from Cincinatti to Nashville. Since both of the Louisville & Nashville mainlines are both out of service, that can only mean one thing for me. That is I am going to be seeing alot more rail traffic than what I normally see.

Related link
www.abovetopsecret.com

Related News Links:
www.wlky.com
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 1/16/2007 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
As of right now, I have not heard nor seen what trains are being affected by these two seperate accidents. I can tell you that when I do find out eventually, I will post it.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So, what's the upshot of this? Is it like the W Va mine accidents or is someone suspecting that since by coincidence it has been Hazmat that it might be sabotage?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It's the second major derailment in the State of Kentucky in as many days. The first one was an accident as was stated by CSX. The second one is a bit more suspicious because of it's proximity to a location. I have a feeling that I may have an answer as to why the train derailed. It is as simple as looking at one of the axles that came off of one of the cars and the switch just down the street from the crash site.

top topics

join