It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Submits For 2008 Presidential Bid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Senator Barrack Obama has taken the first steps toward making a presidential bid for the democratic party. He will be announcing more details on Feb. 10th in his home state. Mr. Obama is quoted saying he did not expecting to be in the position he is in now a few years ago. Obama tries to take his weakpoint of lack of experience and turn it into a strong point.

www.theglobeandmail.com
Washington — Democratic Senator Barack Obama said Tuesday he is taking the initial step in a presidential bid that could make him the nation's first black to occupy the White House.

Mr. Obama announced on his Web site, www.barackobama.com, that he was filing a presidential exploratory committee. He said he would announce more about his plans in his home state of Illinois on Feb. 10.

Mr. Obama tried to turn his biggest weakness — his lack of experience in national politics — into an asset.

“The decisions that have been made in Washington these past six years, and the problems that have been ignored, have put our country in a precarious place,” he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I suggest reading the full article and checking out his site to see all the quotes.

Its official now that he will be making a run. What will become of this is so far unknown. Does he have a chance at the nomination? I personally think that he will not get the nomination as the Democratic candidate. It will be interesting to see how it turns out between him and Hilary Clinton.

Related News Links:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Mr. Obama, a little more than two years into his Senate term, is the most inexperienced candidate considering a run for the Democratic nomination, but nonetheless ranks as a top contender.

theglobeandmail

This just shows how weak the Democrat party is even after 8 years of a Republican presidency, even one as controversial as Bush's.

I'm also willing to bet that the Democratic Congress is going to weaken the chances of a Democratic presidential candidacy even more.

It's way to early to tell, but that's my gut feeling at this time.

I think I'm beginning to understand why Democrats don't like guns. They can't keep from shooting themselves in the foot.

[edit on 2007/1/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Good, hopefully he is torn apart and shows what he truly knows how to run the US...absolutely nothing! Oops there goes the corporate jet the lobbyist lent him for the weekend for free. :rolls eyes:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Being from Illinois I can say that he's extremely popular here, and so far his book The Audacity of Hope has proven to be an interesting read. He may be inexpirienced, but I'd be the last person here to deny that he's a smart fellow. But more importantly in politics, he's got very good charisma.

So whether or not he's a good candidate (which I personally think he is at this point) he's still got a good shot at this if he plays his cards right.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I mean no disrespect to Obama but it says a lot when he could be the Dems best shot at winning in 2008. Assuming that the Dems core supporters like him he is already a better candidate then Hillary.

An Giuliani vs Obama race would be extremely interesting to watch and see how it unfolds.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I hope its Ron Paul Vs. Obama. I would love to see Ron Paul with a great shot at winning. No offense to Obama, but I just can't see people voting for him in the masses.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Oh goody, just what we need....another young and inexperienced president.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
An Giuliani vs Obama race would be extremely interesting to watch and see how it unfolds.

Giuliani doesn't have a snowball's chance to get the Republican nomination. No anti-Second Amendment, pro-abortion Republican candidate will have a prayer in 2008.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Giuliani doesn't have a snowball's chance to get the Republican nomination. No anti-Second Amendment, pro-abortion Republican candidate will have a prayer in 2008.

Grady that is very true, but he could have a chance as an independent. I personally like him over Obama at least!

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by xpert11

McCain will be the front runner.

McCain .. Torture victim and hero in the Vietnam war.. a voice of reason from the right, liked on both sides, hated on both sides...

Against... Osama. Oops. I mean.. Obama. Good luck Osama.. I hope hes get the nomination .. then I won't have to stand in the rain (Why does it always rain on me on election day?) voting because I know the goober will loose!

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It's hard to say. Personally I think that Obama has a very good chance of capturing the minority vote, thus securing him a powerful position within the Democratic primaries. If he can beat out Hilary in the primaries (which he's got a good shot at) then I don't think it'll matter who the candidate is. Even though I'll vote for whomever I think the best candidate is (which very well may be McCain or Ron Paul) most voters in this country vote strictly on party lines.

Meaning it'll be a matter of which party can mobilize it's supporters, and whichever party remains more popular two years from now. Personally I'm predicting a Democrat victory simply because the Republicans are essentially represented by the President in the eyes of the public while the Democrats will be represented by Congress. The way I see it is that we're going to have a bumpy two years ahead of us, and the more visibile of the two branches will take the most flak for it. That being the executive branch, thus killing more Republican support than Democratic support.

But that's merely my hypothesis as to why I think Obama will win this election. Minority vote gives him the Democratic primary, and the Republicans take a lot of flak because of Bush during actual election season.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Well, it will be interesting to see if his past drug usage has any effect on his run.

The America public has been known to accept a president who smoked pot but didn't inhale. Now will they accept a candidate who has snorted coke but didn't like the smell?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Hey now Bush was a coke head himself not to mention a drunk (and possibly still is) slacker, user of daddy's influence to get him out of jams (like Vietnam) and all round ner-do-well who failed at everything he did until he entered politics. AND he's a total failure as president too.

Personally I think an Obama/Clinton ticket would be a slam dunk if Clinton weren't such a polarizing figure (which is why I don't back her) but an Obama/Edwards or Obama/Clarke (or vice a versa) would be a formidable ticket. While they lack experince Bush minor and Reagan have proven you don't have to have any brains or substance to be president. A terrible precedent if you ask me... might as well elect Zippy the Pinhead or Zaphod.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well, it didn't take long for this to become another Bush-bashing thread, did it?

Time will tell if there is any substance to Obama besides giving one supposedly good speech and authoring a book or two.

I would much rather discuss the issues. Like what his stance is on important issues.

apc

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
He doesn't stand a chance for two reasons:

1: He is waaaaaay too far left.

2: He will not get any significant southern vote. There is no way millions of rednecks will vote for an ultra-liberal black man.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, it will be interesting to see if his past drug usage has any effect on his run.

The America public has been known to accept a president who smoked pot but didn't inhale. Now will they accept a candidate who has snorted coke but didn't like the smell?

Then you freak out when someone points out the same quality in the current president? What type of sense does that make? It just goes to show that the American public doesn't give two $#!+$ about past drug use.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So since when is telling the truth Bush bashing? Every single thing I stated is verifiable and true. Just can't stand it that your idol has clay feet and the emperor has no clothes huh?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I agree with Grover that an Obama Edwards ticket would rock. MAybe even Edwards/Obama. Whatever it is, I'd like to see an intelligent black man in the white house who is willing to doo what is right for the people of this country, versus what is right for "some" people in this country.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
By putting forth Obama, is this a way of securing Hillary's move to the ticket? I can see more people voting for her than this guy.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I don't know Intrepid, there are a lot out there like me who would be hard pressed to vote for her. I don't dislike her or think that she would be a bad candidate, my objection to her is the fact that she is so polarizing and that if she got the nomination it would energize the hard right like nobodies business and every right wing whacko would come out of the wood works and take a swipe, and possibly a shot at her. The only way I could see myself voting for her would be if it came down to her and say Newt the Gingrich or some other extremist like him. Failing that I would probably vote for a third party candidate like I did in 1980.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join