It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs/OVNIs and Rennaisance paintings !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
xfacts.com...

Whilst some of these images are open to interpretation,some paintings seem to depict UFOs (paintings number 8,9 and 18 are quite interesting).
Whilst its pertinent to point out the respective artist's work is a representation of their own time, opinion and interpretation of bygone events- its also worth speculating about the motives and inspirations behind many of them (or why they exist at all).
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Engulfed by fascination with older artwork myself, the symbolism is striking similiar to reports of what some claim as UFO's. Sure it could all be interpreted by one's creative mind; but then the question arises, what motives did they have in creating something they supposedly knew nothing about? Uncanny, no?

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Thanks for posting!

IMHO it´s hard to make an argument saying some of this artwork is not ET related. I don´t know, maybe they even back than had a forum similar to ATS debunking sightings, making illustrations based on dreams, hallucinations, SP and even possibly ice crystals ( i love that one ).

Interesting stuff none the less :-)

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
How do historians explain these pictures especially cave paintings like in Australia? If just one of this pictures is true and this stuff was seen back then it proves the whole alien contact conspiracy true.
Here’s another really cool site got loads of pictures and historical written accounts:
www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, I'd be interested to know what sceptics make of Carlos Crivellis painting,'The Annunciation with Saint Emidius' as,viewed objectively,it appears to show a saucer shaped object shining down a beam of light. Disc shaped objects also feature in many other works (particularly Aert De Gelders)
Cheers.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Oy vey.

Those are stylized representations of "the Holy Spirit". There were artistic conventions of the time and were understood and recognized by the viewers.

Do you think all pre-Arab Egyptians had flat faces and one big eye on each side, like fish?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

Oy vey.

Those are stylized representations of "the Holy Spirit". There were artistic conventions of the time and were understood and recognized by the viewers

Care to explain why a representation of "The Holy Spirit" would look like a large cigar shaped object in the sky that's caught on fire?

Or why there's heiroglyphs found in Egypt and other parts of the world that look a lot like helicopters and some even feature what look like astronauts sitting in a ship in the sky and giving the sign of peace with their hand?

Why would they paint "The Holy Spirit" to look like a large disk shaped object in the sky? Why not just paint in a man with a beard like others have done?

I love the stuff sceptics come up with. It's very laughable.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the gallery, Karl 12 !

I remember viewing (in books) many of these and similar paintings years ago but I'd forgotten them until you jogged my memory.

And of course, there still exist from centuries ago, written accounts of UFO sightings (some of which you included).

For me, there can be only 2 possible explanations: (1) the UFOs were added to the paintings in modern times as part of an agenda to convince us of their reality or (2) they depict UFOs as seen or known-of by painters centuries ago.

If, as claimed (above) they are representations of the Holy Spirit, then I feel the Holy Spirit would be justified in feeling insulted ! Surely a Holy Spirit would feel entitled to be portrayed as something a little more awe inspiring than a small, drab hat-thing in the background, lol

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I find it funny that these paintings are even questioned. I mean come on its obvious that we've been visited for centuries.There is no reason to over analyze these. I see them as what they are artistic depictions of real events that were happening in times past. Why is it so hard to believe the truth when its staring you in the face. I believe even if we had an alien in captivity with his UFO on exhibit skeptics would still deny the truth.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Thanks for the links... ive seen many of those before and their stunning clues. Has anyone seen the Egyptian heiroglyphs from Abydos showing aliens and modern mechanical aircraft including an F15 and an Apache helicopter?

ufologie.net...

www.dudeman.net...

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Yeah you gotta think for a cave man to take the time to paint one of these things on the wall than it must have been something of great interest or curiosity to them. It was signifigant enough for them to not dismiss it and actually conjure up the dyes and paints to memorialize them on the side of their dwellings.

Since when did the holy spirit look like a ionized glowing disk with intense lasers shooting out the bottom of it at people?

And why are aborigiones painting depictions of Greys? How did the Dogon tribe know that the Sirius star was actually two stars rotating around a common center of gravity, before the invention of telescopes?

Any what is up with the Incans, Myans, Olmec (especially), and the Aztecs? They all depict wierd stuff. I remember visiting alot of those ruins in central america and remember depictions of flying car like objects, astronaughts with breath masks, and depictions of men working on a wall or stone structure with handheld pistol like things shooting flames out the front into the object they are depicted working on. THey look like they are holding plasma torches or somehting. THey even built huge 12-15 foot tall statues of men with these "pistols" holstered on their hips or held in one hand. Wierd.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
MB,Thanks for the reply.
Regarding specific artworks (those noted above) and interpreting them in an impartial manner your point that these images portray the holy spirit is an interesting one. Obviously it is all down to subjective interpretation but they do appear to be solid (flying) objects to me.
Cheers.
PS More paintings can be seen at ufoartwork.com

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Dock 6,thanks for the reply.

Although many of these paintings are housed at gallerys around Europe it is quite surprising the amount of people who have never seen them (its also been said that Carlo Crivellis work was collected extensively by the last pope).
I think the my favourite one is Aert De Gelder's 'Baptism of Christ ' -it certainly does look very strange.
Cheers.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kronos11
Has anyone seen the Egyptian heiroglyphs from Abydos showing aliens and modern mechanical aircraft including an F15 and an Apache helicopter?

I remember seeing the "Apache Helicopter" claim a few years ago.... and I have to say that on first impression it looked like a human body with a spear or shield on it's chest. As for the Egyptian airplane model, it could just as easilt be a stylised toy bird.

You can read any number of meanings into the simplest imagery, and with very simple imagery it is much easier to invent any number of representations.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
DAK ,Your quite right when you say many paintings/murals are open to interpretation yet there are specific examples where the objects painted look very strange indeed. I don't think we'll ever know for sure but I'd be interested in your opinion on the paintings listed above.
Cheers.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Kronos, Thanks for the links ,I think the Abydos mural was explained as an image of a vase taken out of context,although the others were interesting.
Cheers Karl

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The only odd thing about the paintings is why didnt any of the artists actually WRITE about the sightings too? Obviously they saw things that were very unnatural, so wouldnt that inspire an artist or two to write something about it?

Besides the bible, are there any other texts prior to the 1900's that describe ufo phenomenon?

[edit on 21-1-2007 by amongus]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
I find it funny that these paintings are even questioned.
What I find funny is that only those paintings are used as examples.
For example, "The Madonna with Saint Giovannino" is always shown as a great example. Some time ago I went looking for other paintings by the same artist and found another with a similar object in the sky. No one speaks of that painting. Why?

I mean come on its obvious that we've been visited for centuries.
To me its not obvious that we have been visited, but what I know is that UFOs are not an exclusive of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Some painters really made paintings showing strange things that appeared in the skies, but for some reason that I do not know they are usually ignored by those that were supposed to know what they were talking about.

Originally posted by nightmare_davidWhy would they paint "The Holy Spirit" to look like a large disk shaped object in the sky? Why not just paint in a man with a beard like others have done?
And why do Jesus and other saintly people have an areola over their heads? Are they UFOs also?

[edit on 21/1/2007 by ArMaP]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Armap, thanks for the reply -whilst many of the images are open to subjective interpretation,I'd be interested in your opinion on the works of Art De Gelder,Carlos Crivelli and Paolo Uccello.
Obviously when people talk about this subject they tend to generalize but certain paintings appear to show solid flying objects.
Cheers.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
ufoartwork.com is another place to go...

Care to explain why a representation of "The Holy Spirit" would look like a large cigar shaped object in the sky that's caught on fire?

Check out the story of Ezehkial (sp?) in the Bible for the answer to that one...

Or why there's heiroglyphs found in Egypt and other parts of the world that look a lot like helicopters and some even feature what look like astronauts sitting in a ship in the sky and giving the sign of peace with their hand?

The heiroglyphs are due to the fact that there is one set of carvings on top of another, and the previous ones are showing through, resulting in the "helicopter" shapes. This has been thoroughly debunked by plenty of archeologists and even right here on ATS.

As for the astronauts sitting in a ship, its a common convention of symbolism of the time known as anthropomorphic man. If you look closer in such cases, you'll see that there is a dual representation (one in the sun, one in the moon).

Why would they paint "The Holy Spirit" to look like a large disk shaped object in the sky? Why not just paint in a man with a beard like others have done?

I love the stuff sceptics come up with. It's very laughable.

An illuminitated disk represented divinity. Look at any Byzantine work, and you'll note the gold disk behind divine figures, the disk by itself was to represent the holy spirit. Unlike Michealangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling, most depictions of God were not humanlike in the prior periods, but more symbolic.

It's not laughable, it's based on known artistic conventions of the times, and some art history knowledge is helpful in putting such pieces in the right context.

Now, that said, there are some artworks that do stand out as something strange, and not using identifiable symbolism, that are indeed worthy of further study, but there are many common pieces held up as "UFOs in artwork", that are simply misunderstood symbolism....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join