It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stray Cats Carry H5N1 Bird Flu in Indonesia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
100 stray cats out of 500 tested in Indonesia were found to be infected with H5N1 bird flu - then released back into the streets because researchers had no right to destroy them. The cats were tested between September and December last year, says Dr C.A. Nidom, head of Avian Influenza Laboratorium at the University of Airlangga. They were collected from "markets selling chicken and in the vicinity of hospitals designated to treat bird flu patients."

Bird Flu update: Alarm as infected stray cats roam the streets

The irony is that when tests were conducted on 500 stray cats in Jakarta, Surabaya, Semarang, Bandung, Tangerang and Lampung, and the 100 were found to be infected, they were all released back onto the streets.

"The tests showed that the virus is becoming more complex. We have to change our thinking and look at the possibility that the virus can spread to humans not only through chickens but also through other animals."

"The cat’s biological make-up is much closer to that of humans than chicken. A cat also has the same body temperature as humans, whereas a chicken does not."

It was well known by last year that H5N1 infects a variety of species, and can spread via waste through water and soil, and then on to infect larger areas and more species.

However, no public health authority acknowledges officially that H5N1 bird flu can spread to humans through any infected animals except birds. Or that the endemic spread to other species is a problem.

The position is political, and based on an economic rationale, not a scientific one. It is designed to protect trade, not public health.

Some fools apparently think we can let bird flu kill off all the natives in the world's prime vacation spots, then waltz in with a vaccine, grab the real estate, take over and relax in style.

Greed + hubris + undue faith in biotechnology + scientific ignorance = dead planet.

Also see: Bird flu back in Thailand and Japan, found in cats in Indonesia

[edit on 16-1-2007 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Congradulations on your new personal CM forum! I have always enjoyed your posts and will check in from time to time to see what you have to say. I have always wondered if Loam would have his (her?) own forum as well.

On the subject of "stray cats" I would like to note that most of the supposed strays are probably free roaming, but family, pets. I know my two cats roam free without collars downtown... as do all of the other cats on my block here in the States. I wonder if they were careful to return the animals to the point of pickup... or just released in mass in the general area.

The story also makes me wonder... and perhaps this is the paranoid nut in me... but who is to say that this is not a cover story for the purposeful release of 100 LAB INFECTED felines onto the streets. With the purpose of invoking the typical "from chaos comes new order" strategy of the global elite. "grab real estate and relax in style" as you say.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
That is sickening, what's next? The rats that the cats eat? then the rats contaminate something humans touch. Than it spreads like bees on honey.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
Congradulations on your new personal CM forum! I have always enjoyed your posts and will check in from time to time to see what you have to say.

Thanks Sri Oracle. And thanks to SO for setting it all up. ...I wasn't ready to jump, but looks like I have to now, just to save face and ensure my usual quality.

I have always wondered if Loam would have his (her?) own forum as well.

Loam has my vote too.

On the subject of "stray cats"
... who is to say that this is not a cover story for the purposeful release of 100 LAB INFECTED felines onto the streets. With the purpose of invoking the typical "from chaos comes new order" strategy of the global elite. "grab real estate and relax in style" as you say.

The stray cats probably are real strays - and the story highlights the real problems with H5N1 and other zoonotics:

a) The H5N1 virus can infect a huge variety of different animals, including mammals;

b) It's already endemic, not just in Asia, but likely in the oceans and the rest of the world; but

c) Nobody looks for it, so they don't find it; although

d) Much evidence shows that many birds and other animals remain healthy when infected, and are carriers.

...I will create a new thread to focus on the 'endemic' issue and centralize references. Soon...

sofi

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
firstly, i congratulate you, soficrow, on your "conspiracy master" title

i have been reading you h5n1-related posts for about a year-and-a-half now and, i must say, you are doing a great job keeping me informed

thanks for doing a great job and good luck with further research...

secondly (and lastly), this h5n1 bird flu is really scary stuff

i really hope it doesn't effect humans on a huge scale...

[edit on 22-1-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Echoing others already responding, a very hearty congratulations to you Sofi for your own Conspiracy Master forum! Does my heart proud to see your hard work and dedication yet again paying off.

I do find it worrying that other animals are not being treated equally to birds in the respect of H5N1. To think of all the mutations that could possibly prefer in other animals, while we have a complete blind eye towards it, is an idea I do not find comforting.

In my eyes, this is pure negligence.

[edit on 1/22/07 by niteboy82]

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I missed this new development. Congratulations, Sofi!
You deserve it! I have always enjoyed reading your contributions. Imo, some of the most thought provoking stuff I read.

Originally posted by soficrow

Originally posted by Sri Oracle

I have always wondered if Loam would have his (her?) own forum as well.

Loam has my vote too.

Awe, shucks... Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure my contributions merit a forum of their own. There are many others who deserve that role in advance of me.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, I'm a "his".

[edit on 24-1-2007 by loam]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
when will it reach h ere?

top topics

join