It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted the Caver- Have you heard?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
nice work

I remeber reading the Floyd story when I was 12 (1982) in a caving book my best friends mom had...I honesty was terrified by the tale....and it's true.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My honest opinion:

That was a good short story. Some of it was probably true. Probably not all of it. Good story still. It was written in ways that a story would be written. To the point that I got caught up in it....if you know what I mean.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Well folks, here is the rest of the story- I contacted Frank Stevens, and he was'nt at home but I did speak to his wife.
According to her he came across the story on Angelfire.com, which is a free web-hoster. He liked it so much he decided to retain it. She said the story was an urban legend and a hoax, but that she has recieved several calls from other interested parties as myself.
Maybe the ending was best left hanging- I dunno, but I felt it was my duty to ATS to post my findings and put this one down as one solved mystery.
The author of this story has an ability , and he captivated much attention- and darklanser, after reading the link you provided I am led to believe this work of fiction was inspired by the tragic death of Floyd Collins, and good work, I might add. I had not heard of him before this story, and I encourage all to read his story via the link that darklanser provided. It was another good read, and this story is true.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
even better work

I agree, regardless of the factual nature, it was one wicked freakin read!!!

would make an excellent short film...I have a small audio studio and a fair bit of video gear as well, all the caves and mine shafts in my area would be a perfect shooting location. The fact my brother in-law does special effects work for film would be of great help too
If I can find the time, perhaps I'll make amini-low buget thriller

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Excellent work Journey, thankyou for informing us.

Even though its a fake I'm sure I'll be extra jumpy next time my mates and I decide to go explore one of the limestone caves in my area. While theres something both wondrous and terrifying about clambering around under all that earth and rock.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Exdog, if you do this, you will have a hit- and I am sure you would find great success in this endeavour.
FYI- I did ask the lady I spoke with if she knew or had any idea of who the original author was, she said nodody knew.
I'd go for it if I was you.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
wicked news...thanks...I'll do some extra research before hand...
me and the brother inlaw have been planning such a thing for quiet sometime...the thing that's been holding us back was a script. I do some decent writting myself (won a few local awards for horror), but have no time to get anything done...and most of my stuff would need a big buget...this story is perfect. Small cast, and not much prop wise. I'll post some pics of his SFX stuff soon...

fired up

thanks again Journey...

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
here's the link to the Angelfire page
Ted The Caver

any thoughts on whether I should do this "blair" style , or what? I was thinking maybe voice over journal readings? (too cheesy?) I have night vision on my camera so all the dark cave scenes could be that way? anyone wanna give suggestions...I don't wanna hijack the thread, you can U2U me and I'll give you my real contact info...

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Bravo, Journey! Well researched!

Thanks for taking the effort to confirm it!

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I finaly figured out why the story was vaguely familiar-
HP LOVECRAFT-
Beast In The Cave

possible source of inspiration?

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
More Lovecraft/Blair Witch Observations

still moving forward with the short film

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In response to an email I placed to the web manager for FC- the link provided by darklanser-

Hello-----
First of all, do you have any association with me, are you a reenactor or caver? Just curious, I'll still answer your question.

Or did you just come across the FC web page?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked him for details concerning this story, and recieved this very prompt reply. I returned mail, expressed a logical interest, and at the moment I await another reply- will post when I recieve.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 02:28 PM
link   
what do you think he measn by reenactor ?

possible film in the works? of soon to be debunked on TV?

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I dunno ex...and I still have not recieved the second reply-Interesting though, I will admit.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Nevermind.

[Edited on 19-12-2003 by �any]

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Another update, the guy from FC did send me another e-mail and he said he had no idea of who originated this story, but from reading same he determined that the guy was definitely a caver, and he guessed he was maybe from California...So...The mystery REMAINS!

Jon , the web master mentioned above, also stated in his reply that he has experienced some wild things underground, one was related to a fire underground, however he did not elaborate in this mail but said he was willing to share, when he does I will post.

Exdog, they are into reenactment of 1800's events- and he said he has relived some of Floyd Collins' explorations.

posted on Dec, 19 2003 @ 11:32 AM
link   
thanks for the update Journey

and the clarification on the reenactments

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'd just like to say something about Ted.:

He must've been a pretty brave guy - hearing that scream would've definately been enough for me.

And he says that one day (after he had purchased the gun) he saw something in his hallway that he thought was a robber - well if it were me I would have shot the thing, sell the house and get an apartment in the city.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
With a little research, I found that the original author of the Ted the Caver story is by Mr. Thomas Lera. He wrote this story sometime in the 1980's. He was also a caver. He was born in 1900 and died in 1993. I do believe that it was formally published.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join