It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Clock To Move Closer To Nuclear Armageddon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The Doomsday Clock that was setup as a measure of how close the world was getting to the possibility of nuclear armageddon has moved once again. This recent move, to 7 minutes to midnight, is the closest the clock has been since the end of the Cold War.

The time is decided by the Board of Directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists where midnight represents nuclear destruction. The most recent moves are due to the increased nuclear threat from countries such as North Korea and Iran as well as the unsecured nuclear trade that exists as a result of Russian instability.

===============================
FULL ARTICLE HERE

The world is inching closer to nuclear Armageddon, a group of prominent scientists and security experts said Friday. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists has kept a Doomsday clock since 1947 as a reminder of the dangers of nuclear proliferation. The clock will be moved forward Wednesday at simultaneous events in Washington and London whose speakers will include physicist Stephen Hawking, the Chicago-based periodical said in a statement.

The Bulletin warned that the world had entered a "Second Nuclear Age marked by grave threats."

It cited the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea; escalating terrorism; unsecured nuclear materials in Russia and elsewhere, the continuing "launch-ready" status of 2,000 of the 25,000 nuclear weapons held by the United States and Russia, and "new pressure from climate change for expanded civilian nuclear power that could increase proliferation risks.".......

.... It currently stands once again at seven minutes to midnight, the closest to danger since the end of the Cold War.

Founded in 1945 by scientists who had helped develop the atomic bomb and were deeply concerned about the use of nuclear weapons, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists counts 17 Nobel laureates among its boards of directors and sponsors............

================================

Its interesting to see a group of intelligent minds assessing the destruction of the planet by nuclear arms. I would also like to hear their ideas on how to stop it, but that isn't available in this article. I thought all of you at ATS would find this article interesting at the least. A few minutes closer to the end, at least for the moment.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
**UPDATE**www.thebulletin.org...
WILL LAUNCH A NEW WEBSITE AND MAKE A MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!
jAN 17 930 EASTERNTIME

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Acctnosam, thanks for the post. It doesn't really give any information on what their major announcement might be. Do you have any guesses?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I don't know but maybe that the USA and Israel have decided to nuke Iran China Russia and Pakistan simultaneously?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hmmm, interesting thought haha, but doubtful. I don't think this group of Nobel laureates would have access to that kind of info nor would they approve. I'm not sure what their major announcement could be except the addition of some new members or something.

new topics

top topics

join