It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Why hasn't there ever been a President from another race?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is just a question I have been pondering the last few days. I mean if you look back in History, all of the former U.S. Presidents have been of the white race. Doesn't that strike as odd to anyone else? Perhaps political discrimination in any ways?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Isn't it illegal for a US President to be non-American?

But if you're talking about a black President, then yes, back in the olde days the chance of white Americans voting one of their black slaves to the Presidency was very slim indeed

But no doubt in the future a black person will be president.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It is inevitable that there will be a black president in the future. And a woman president. Hell, even a black woman president eventually.

You have to look at the fact though that we are only a couple of generations away from the people that thought that black people and women were inferior. Once enough time has passed, and ignorance is denied more and more, you can count on seeing this reflected in government policy.

I really dont think there is a conspiracy with this at all, its only a matter of national racism dying only recently.

Give it a few years. I promise.

Well, unless of course we manage to blow ourselves all to hell........(which is also likely)

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
There's never been a serious black candidate for president, but yes that will change in the future.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yes, I believe that someday the United States will elect a non-white president.

I also believe we still have a way to go.

I remember something I saw on a news show back in 1992. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a source. I recall that there was a comparison focus group done for Douglas Wilder's presidential candidacy.

The group was first shown a transcript of one of Mr. Wilder's speeches. They were then polled on their positive and negative views of the candidate and the whether they would vote for him. The results were highly favorable for Mr. Wilder based on his political views.

Then the group was shown a video of the same speech. The group was recorded saying things like, "Oh, he's black" while viewing it. The group was then given the same survey. The results turned decidely against Mr. Wilder, with majority now saying that they would not consider voting for him.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
There are lots of Black Presidents, Prime Ministers, and even Govenor Generals in Canada that are Black. Ever hear of Africa?

How come there are no European Emperors of Japan? Why no Arab Prime Ministers of Australia? Why no Jewish Kings of Saudi Arabia?

Why does everything have to be a black thing?

[edit on 15-1-2007 by BattleofBatoche]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Why limit it to just the U.S.?

Why hasn't France had a P.M./ President of a minority race?

or The U.K.

or Canada

or Germany

or Mexico

or ...

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by eaglewingz
Yes, I believe that someday the United States will elect a non-white president.

I also believe we still have a way to go.

I remember something I saw on a news show back in 1992. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a source. I recall that there was a comparison focus group done for Douglas Wilder's presidential candidacy.

The group was first shown a transcript of one of Mr. Wilder's speeches. They were then polled on their positive and negative views of the candidate and the whether they would vote for him. The results were highly favorable for Mr. Wilder based on his political views.

Then the group was shown a video of the same speech. The group was recorded saying things like, "Oh, he's black" while viewing it. The group was then given the same survey. The results turned decidely against Mr. Wilder, with majority now saying that they would not consider voting for him.

I can only wonder at what the percentage of those people are that were actually racist (not voting for him because he was black), and what percentage of the people wouldnt consider voting for him because they would be scared of casting an ineffective vote (because they think most OTHER people wouldnt vote for him because he is black.

I guess its maybe an issue of direct Vs. Indirect racism, if those are the proper terms for what Im talking about....Im not a sociologist or anything.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This was addressed by the U.S. Supreme Court in the Dred Scott case as a form of naturalization. The Dred Scott case, however, was overturned by the Fourteenth Amendment in 1868.

The Fourteenth Amendment mentions two types of citizenship: citizenship by birth and citizenship by law (naturalized citizens): "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Here explains in more detail about race:

en.wikipedia.org...

df1

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Bill Clinton was the first black president, so says the NAACP. It sounds questionable to me, but I have no evidence to dispute this assertion. I wonder if Hillary knew she was marrying a black man?

Over the weekend, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume presented X-PREZ with an Image Award at a Universal City, Calif., ceremony, citing his work in improving life for blacks during his eight-year tenure as president.

"That's why I went to Harlem, because I think I am the first black president,'' Clinton responded, referring to plans for his new office in New York, according to an AP report.
NewsMax

new topics

top topics

join