It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decapitated by the Noose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It is reported that Barzan Ibrahim was decapitated by his execution noose . Barzan, The half brother of Saddam Hussein, was hung Monday alongside co-defendant Awad Hamed al-Bandar for crimes against humanity. Following the outcry surrounding Saddams execution, Iraqi officials were at pains to ensure that the executions followed all protocols to the letter, but it was not to be. As Awad swung from the gallows as expected, Barzan`s rope severed his neck, allowing his headless body to tumble into the pit below

news.bbc.co.uk
Iraqi officials have shown journalists video footage of the hanging of two of Saddam Hussein's aides, during which one of the men was decapitated.

A short while later the footage, which is silent, shows both men fall.

Almost immediately the rope that was round Barzan's neck flicks upwards, the body dropping below.

The cameraman then shows the pit below and a headless body, bloodied at the neck and what officials say was Barzan's head still covered by a hood.

Al-Bandar's body was still hanging above, said one official who was present at the execution.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If it was not such a serious event, it would be labeled farce.
The hangmans “art “ is hardly rocket science,
Questions abound, were the ropes mixed up, leading to Barzan being dropped far further than he should ? Or worse, tampered with ?
Iraqi officials have conceded that the Saddam execution was badly managed, so it beggars belief that the next execution should be s badly botched.
In a country wracked by sectarian unrest, any hint of impropriety or skullduggery will be seized on my radical elements. Could a saboteur be attempting to pour petrol on the flames ?

Related News Links:

CNN : how hanging is supposed to work :
edition.cnn.com

[edit on 15-1-2007 by ignorant_ape]

[edit on 15-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This guy was either overweight, dropped too far, the rope was faulty or had an usually weak neck/body connection, or a combination thereof. Considering the caliber of the Iraqi executioners they probably did not follow proper body mass vs. length charts. Personally I don't care but I'm erring on the side of incompetence and chance. However seeing as how this is ATS, such a move will surly not suffice.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hmmmmm,

We had the advantage of learing alot of hangman stuff in the scouts. One of our scoutmasters had learned the skill in the Army of all places. One of the things he talked about was dry running everything including simulating the weight of the hangee'. Looking at Saddams exectuion and no doubt the large number of hangings that have gone on in Iraq, its not unreasonable to assume a modicum of competence in such matters.

Then again maybe it was the regular guys day off.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
whats the difference ? You die either way. Noose or head seperated!

Also what the hell is body Vs length charts ?? In the wild west they just hung people from trees. No charts nonsense. A length of rope and an firm branch was all they needed.

I reckon they did it on purpose. There is no other explanation.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
IAF its actually an art. As far as I know even in the old west days a court sanctioned execution the goal was to only break the neck. Otherwise if the drop is to short you slowly strangle the person or too far and you get the effect we saw in this case.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
From my desktop copy of "Hanging For Dummies:

The problem with hanging is that the drop length, hence the rope length, is critical. The desired result requires 1260 ft.-lb. of force to snap the neck. If the drop is too short, the victim strangles -- a horrific episode that can last up to 15 minutes. Too long a drop risks decapitation -- an equally unappetizing event. To calculate the correct drop length (in feet), the equation is 1260 divided by the victim's weight.
www.sfgate.com...

[edit on 1/15/07 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It has been suggested that the cancer that the individual suffered from could have weakened his neck to such a degree that it led to his decapitation. The "hangmans 'art' “ might not be rocket science but it is hardly an exact science.

Determine the Rope Length for the particular executee. Employ the following formula for this determination and in the event of a multiple execution test with the requirements for the lighter executee and the longer drop. After the first execution, the Rope Length should be shortened for the next execution. Since the test was for the lighter executee, the trap door may be considered to function with the greater weight of the second executee.

Rope Length = (S - C) + Drop Distance

Where: S = Scaffold Crossbeam Height from Scaffold Floor

C = Executee's Chin Height

Drop Distance = the distance the executee is dropped

Rope Length = distance of the executee's drop + the distance of his chin from the scaffold crossbeam

1. DROP DISTANCE TABLE

Weight in Drop Weight in Drop
Pounds Distance Pounds Distance

120 or less........8' 1" 170................6' 0"
125................7'10" 175................5'11"
130................7' 7" 180................5' 9"
135................7' 4" 185................5' 7"
140................7' 1" 190................5' 6"
145................6' 9" 195................5' 5"
150................6' 7" 200................5' 4"
155................6' 6" 205................5' 2"
160................6' 4" 210................5' 1"
165................6' 2" 220 and over.......5' 0"

STATE of DELAWARE EXECUTION BY HANGING OPERATION and INSTRUCTION MANUAL

There is no way that these individuals could be executed without angering someone, so the less said about the events the better.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Given the deep divisions in Iraq you do have to wonder if Barzan's decapitation was intensional. The fact that Saddam was hung without this kind of incident seems to indicate that incompetence could well be the cause of Barzan's botched hanging.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
As has been noted, it's an art, not a science. Placement of the noose and tightness also play a part.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm still surprised they didn't simply use beheading like in most Muslim countries (granted, under Saddam, it was technically not). As I've actually been to a middle eastern execution (beheading), I can tell you it was certainly not too "gruesome" for the crowd. In fact, they probably cheered and used his head for a soccer ball for the kiddies....(that's what they did at the one I saw). Us "infidels" could only watch from the "cheap seats" of course...but an experience I'll never forget.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
...but an experience I'll never forget.

I hope not.

Most people have to settle for lifetime memories of visits to Disney World, weddings, bar Mitzvahs, and the like.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
but an experience I'll never forget.

Yowza.

And I thought the day Grandma let loose the 'f' word while ordering lunch at Cracker Barrel was memorable.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You would have to put his head taking leave from the rest of him down to Saddam's regime......................... spineless

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
People who are complaining about this execution should be round up and shot. Just kidding, however there is no reason someone should complain about a decapitation during a hanging. WE CAN NOT LET IRAQIS OUT PC(Politically Correct) US!

These people are used to hangings and other executions.

The people who complained and had issues over the execution a week ago were the same ones praising the executions when Saddam was in control.

Furthermore, a decapitation at a hanging is like a slam dunk in basketball, it is why people come out to watch it. Anyone who says different needs to check the last 4,000 years of human history!

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I believe the same thing happened during some of the hangings after the Nuremberg trials which the Americans were responsible for.

It seems that the Americans were offered the services of Albert Pierrepoint, one of the last hangman in the UK but declined.

new topics

top topics

join