It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is creating so much apathy in this society

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I watched an interesting film based on this phenomenon of lethargy. It's called "Idiocracy", it's a comedy but it is enlightening.

I believe the problem is simple, life is so comfortable right now. People naturally avoid things that make them uncomfortable; opening your eyes and exposing yourself to the blinding truth which is reality is uncomfortable.

...and on top of all this; reading, thinking, and being intelligent is not considered cool.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Do any of you have any views on what is creating humans to be becoming more apathetic in todays society.

i saw gore state he thinks one of the problems is that people are watching to much tv today, and people hardly ever read the printed word any more.

whether gore is right, he is right about the apathy that is going on today, so what do others think the reasons may be, and if you are into the science of the brain, maybe you could talk about what part of the brain that we may be using more today, to get us into this situation.

Any thoughts

I think Gore is partially right. The problem isn't necessarily the amount of television being watched, other than how it could potentially contribute to becoming overweight. The content of the television is at issue. It's all low level. I've referred to most problem as LCD (lowest common denominator) for some time now because that's where I think it's aimed. It doesn't encourage people to better themselves; instead, it just asks people to sit back and mentally tune out. Entertainment keeps people content and therefore there's no overriding need to change anything. If you can convince enough people to ask for better programming - and save things like NPR and PBS - the apathy might decrease. Unfortunately, you have to overcome the existing apathy to make these changes. A difficult task for sure.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Don't know and don't care.

Really, though, everyone has their own strongly held positions, and some issues are simply less important than others. Do not assume that because someone feels less strongly about an issue than you they are apathetic.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   

fluoride(study its toxic effects), etc.

So how I get around toothpaste and water? Bootle water is expensive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join