It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France`s Attempted Union With Great Britain in 1956 rebuffed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
According to official documents just declassified. In 1956, France attempted to open negotiations aimed at creating a single super state, with HM queen Elizabeth II as monarch. Prime minister Anthony Eden countered the proposal with an offer to allow France to join the commonwealth .

www.timesonline.co.uk
Traumatised by Suez and the fighting in Algeria, a desperate French Prime Minister floated the idea of merging with Britain in 1956 and installing the Queen as head of state of the two countries, the BBC will report tonight.

Records of conversations between Anthony Eden, the British Prime Minister, and his Cabinet Secretary, Sir Norman Brook, show that the idea was swiftly dismissed but that serious thought was given to a secondary proposal to make France a member of the Commonwealth.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Despite having been one of the victorious allies in WWII, by 1956 both Britain and France were facing crisis. Both were withdrawing from once great empires, and with the crisis in Suez and insurrection in Algeria, French premier Mollet made the radical offer of homogeny, under the British crown.

How would Europe have developed if his offer had been accepted?

Despite their problems, the new state would have been stronger than the sum of its parts, and would have dominated the EEC, formed only a year later.
The proposal was not a new one, it had previously been broached during WWII. But how would the general public have reacted? Maybe it is fortunate that they never put it to the test.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Merge England with France?

Sounds like... Canada... Eh?

I think it would be a match made in heaven... The English would be bestowed gourmet competency... And the French would finally have a spine when it comes to foreign policy.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Merge England with France?

No.
United Kingdom and France.

(England does not represent the whole of the UK, there are four states that make it up)

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Not for much longer with any luck.
Up the SNP.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm sure the Scots and the Welsh will appreciate the epicurean improvements provided by the most welcome association afforded through them by the magnanimous affiliation in the United Kingdom.

Yeah... That's the ticket.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
(England does not represent the whole of the UK, there are four states that make it up).

Technically, yes. Realistically however, perhaps.

Speaking of mergers and unions, I wonder what the future will hold for the United Kingdom itself...

Linky

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
< cough >

could we PLEASE remain on topic ?

in this thread , my thread . will estemed members of ATS please limit themselves to dicussing the merits and demerits of the propsed union between greatr britain and france in 1956

if people want to discuss devolution etc - please start a NEW thread - if you U2U me the link , i will respond appropriately - as i have strong views on devolution

but on this thread , please limit youreslves to the offer by mr mollet of union , and mr edens counter proposal of membership of the commonewalth

thank you

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Ok , back on topic :

the glaring absence of any French documentation or reminiciences as a counterpoint to this story is mildly annoying , though on reflection predictable .

it is all very well reading Mr Edens thoughts on the matter .

but i suspect that the deliberations of Mesuoir Mollet and the French cabinet would make far more fiery reading

have the French conciously erased the incident from thier mempry , and destroyed all minuites ?

or was the offer a personal initative, my Mollet unbeknown to anyone else ? which he hoped could be ` sold ` to the French as a lifeline IF the British agreed

now its existance has been revealed, more digging is required to discover the whole story of this remarkable " what could have been "

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Ape,

A French perspective would certainly be interesting but I haven't seen anything either. I have, however, emailed a link to a colleague of mine in Paris for his thoughts.

I haven't heard anything back yet - I suspect that he may still be spark out on the floor.

top topics

join