It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Santa moved his workshop to China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Santa Claus is Chinese or, Why China is Rising and the US is Declining

This Christmas many of us sat down in our living rooms and happily watched our children’s, love ones of significant other unwrap their presents and enjoyed unwrapping ourselves . . . how many of you wonder about where the products were made.

About 70% came from china markets.

About 80% percent of our toys are made in china.

Even our artificial Christmas trees are made in china, so actually our Christmas has as much Chinese influences as our own traditional ones in a matter of speaking.

This year Americans will spend over $1 billion on Christmas ornaments from China.
That the U.S. Christmas is made in China is a metaphor for a far deeper set of economic issues affecting the United States. Today Christmas is celebrated in both the United States and China - but for different reasons and with far different economic consequences.

While this sound great for our trading partners the truth is that we are falling a deep hole, as we become a nation of consumers and big spenders.

Our credit cards keep filling up and we are borrowing from our children’s future and getting them into the deficit hole.

Is this the future of America?

The U.S. trade deficit is growing by leaps and bounds, nearly doubling from $452 billion in 2000 to an estimated $850 billion in 2006. Rising oil imports and the trade deficit with China account for over half of it.

Let us start speaking Chinese people.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The ONLY way for a nation to have an income is to export more than they import money wise, if you export things worth nothing and import a lot of expensive things (or it is expensive because of bulk quantities) you will face economic decline.
Is it not sad that some would like Americans to believe they are no longer capable of making shoes and cars? No longer capable of making TOYS for their own CHILDREN? We need to build more factories and cut off all the imports, besides which historically speaking American products were made under the ideals of QUALITY over QUANTITY while China has the policy of QUANTITY over QUALITY.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The greed of capitalism going wrong and corporations that only cares about profits and spit on the American hard worker.

They prefer to support slave shops of cheap labor over sea than allowing American workers make a decent salary.

This entities are raping our nation.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I got to see the slaves they use, 4ft tall Chinese women who are ABSOLUTELY anarexic from lack of food, and they wear pajamas and little kids cloths because they are the cheapest, also I have watched the factories sell the "rejects" at Price Cosco and about 2000 Chinese workers show up and raid the place for clothing, all about $0.02-0.05 cent per shirt, $1.00 pair of pants, etc. Just shows you how much we get ripped off.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
While this sound great for our trading partners the truth is that we are falling a deep hole, as we become a nation of consumers and big spenders.

Our credit cards keep filling up and we are borrowing from our children’s future and getting them into the deficit hole.

Easy answer. Don't use a credit card, then you don;t spend more than you can afford. There would be no problems if people didn't insist on living beyond their means.

I spent nearly £400 ($800) on my daughter (well, some on her mum too) this year and every penny was my own. Not a single thing was bought on credit.

Why cannot others do that? Then you would have none of this "post Christmas Blues" they bang on about....

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I dream of a day when I can pick something up, flip it over, and it says "Made In USA".

Hey, when I was a little kid in the 1960's everything said "Made In Japan".
Does anyone remember that?

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
I dream of a day when I can pick something up, flip it over, and it says "Made In USA".

Hey, when I was a little kid in the 1960's everything said "Made In Japan".
Does anyone remember that?

Bit old for me chap, but I do remember alot of "Made in Taiwan" which doesn't appear that often now.

The world changes, but at the end of the day, the trade isn't all one way and the disparity will not last for ever. The wealth will be redistributed and things will achieve parity....

Having said that, I am currently facing the threat of redundancy because of those buggers in India.....

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I am not sure about you, however there is a MORAL value to be had here, the conditions they have these people work under is beyond appauling, I have seen it with my own two eyes. Here in the USA if you refuse to deal with the corporations you have to go run naked through the woods the rest of yor life, they own everything one way or another. Their tenticles are so deep that even when you think you are buying a family run business, as way the case of me buying a bag of frozen vegetables once, turns out general mills owns them too, sold out in 1998. They have a million brand names out there, take your pick, you will probably wind up dealing with them at some point.
When you have to deal with them most people do not know how the "goods" got to that point, let alone who is responsible for the goods being there. From what I have seen of where the goods come from, and then watching documentaries on the other goods made, there is a complete vaccume of moral from how things opperate. They use slaves, indentured slaves, child labor, and forced labor in some Asian countries and some South American ones like Chile before the revolution to oust the dictators who supported Coca-Cola.
The USA is supposed to have a moral value, and that has been thrown away, people are still viewed as property, however the new name for it is "company asset's" which is a more "polite" name for slaves. This needs to be stopped, economics based on slavery, indentured workers, and child labor, and forced labor is the quickest way to get the world to hate you, and most of the world is poor so you are outnumbered rather quickly since the poor class bears the burden in this case.
They shuffle factories from place to place in accordance to who has no laws vs. those who have laws. In a no law area they can hire mercenaries to protect their factory and force people to work, in some areas where there is SOME law but not enough, like India, they can get away with ANYTHING they want because there is no law against it. Thus Coca-Cola LOVES India, no laws to prevent them from polluting, or stealing land from people, also the government is corrupt so they can get away with it should anyone squak.
The corporations need brought down, they are growing fat off the blood and lives of others, not just adults but even children and society on the whole. That is moraly and ethicaly wrong.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
But People in America, at least many do not care as long as wal-mart have that piece of toy or article cheaper.

But how outrage if our nation will become if our children were force into sweat shops so the corporations stays in the US.

NOOOOO, that is unspeakable and shameful.

What happen to America? what has make us turn into a proud nation of producers to a debt ridden nation of spenders.

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Just as people cry for separation of Church and state, I vote for separation of government and big business. This would solve alot of problems. And no more outsourcing to foreign countries. Everything we consume should be made here, and workers should make decent wages.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
We do have a choice. But most of us want cheap and plentiful goods. To manufacture in the US or Western Europe costs more as workers expect to be paid more as they want to continue to enjoy a higher standard of living and be able to put more of those cheap goods manufactured not just in China, but many other countries in the Far East.

How many of us have the latest wide screen TVs and the like. These have all come down in price. Some of this is due to improvements in technology and manufacturing processes. A fair chunk of the price reduction is down to manufacturing in a lower cost economy.

I can remember in the 70s and 80s in the UK, shops sporting stickers proclaiming goods to be "Made in Britain". If we want to re-address the balance, and have "Made in XX country" products, we have to accept more expensive goods.

I try to support a "Made in Britain" policy but my home would be very bare.

Again, the choice is ours!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You freedomERP I don't know if this same thing is happening in UK but . . . has you seen how made in US is now relegated to specialty produce and very spencive?

Does that happen in your nation also.

I mean you can find the pruduce made in the country but are they only found in specialty shops like here in US.

My daughter was so feed up with foreign brand names including the brands like Abercromby, Gap and Armani, the clothing was not even made in the US.

Well we went to a US only brand name store . . . the goods were like specialty good or at least advertised like it, it was so funny, I felt that to own a piece of clothing made in the US you have to pay 200 dollars or more.

Incredible that US items are now considered rare and collectible items.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have seen little evidence of a "Made in England" campaign, Marg. Which is very sad and disappointing.

We seem to make more of very local produce, like food and veg, mostly farm shop or organic.

You mentioned about brands moving away from the UK. One brand that has caught the eye in the UK is Burberry who have plans to close their factory in South Wales and move the manufacturing overseas.

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6260561.stm]

I worked for a short while for a company that helped UK companies manage their extended supply chains in the Far East and one of the things I would say, is that the US Fashion manufacturing business is were the UK was 20 odd years ago. I am afraid that more of the US garment manufacturing business will close and be moved to lower cost economies.

In the UK, the garment manufacturing industry is a rump of its former self. Almost all the clothes for sale in the major retails outlets are sourced from low cost economies.

Several years ago, I had a conversation with a senior manager at a major European electronical giant and the board had made decisions to keep manufacturing in Europe inspite of the fact that they could close the factory, move the plant to the Far East, ship to Europe and still make money. The reason to remain in Europe was to maintain a customer base for them and their products. If all manufacturing was moved to the Far East, then the spend in the developed economics would drop, and the demand for the Far East products would drop.

Also, in the early eights, automotive component supply from moved to the UK, Germany, France and the like to East Europe. In the late ninities, some of these plants were closed and moved to the Far East as it was cheaper to manufacture there. As the East European economics grow with the investment the wages started to go up and so did the cost.

Again, we have created this as most of us want cheap goods and did not understand the implications of Santa moving his workshop to China.

We have reaped what we have sown and worst, I am not sure if we can reverse Santa's move to China.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well you have a problem as is seen in the USA:
#1: They outsource workers to the USA, in short, they go to China, put 600 workers on a digny and float it to the USA and drop them off at the factory. This is also one of the ways they get indentured workers, make them pay off the "travel expenses" which they never will be able to do on that below minimum wage salary.
#2: Farms which are now predominately factory farms are run by immigrants, they go to Mexico, hire about 50 workers, smuggle them here, then have them work 2-3 factories.
#3: A new growing example, they hire foreign workers to teach in our schools, even though we have THOUSANDS of teachers without jobs, they hire Philipino teachers to come here and teach: ENGLISH! When they have a HORRIBLE time speaking it properly, I talked to one of these "English teachers" once and she talked sort of like this: "You know why work here? We work why we need money yes?"
They have many ways of getting around outsourcing, they they cannot take the job elsewhere, the bring the worker here and have them work the same job for the same wage. This should be illegal correct? Well not when you own the law, AND when you have laws stating you are NOT PERMITTED TO INSPECT THEIR WORKPLACE OR ANY OF THEIR LAND OR BUILDINGS WITHOUT GIVING THREE (3) MONTHS ADVANCE NOTICE! The book FAST FOOD NATION had a part on this, OSHA busted a factory for using illegals and treating them like slaves so they corporations got together and had that law go through about inspections.

top topics

join