It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America a nation of servants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In the 50s 30% of US employees were manufacturers, 1 in 3 jobs. We were a manufacturing power, our nation was rich and productive.

Our government policies is telling us that our manufacturing power is decreasing to levels below the 1950’s.

In the last 20 years since US impose policies regarding NFTA, WTO, CAFTA our country have lost their ability to be self sufficient and able to sustain and protect itself to a country of servants.

WE are now serving foreign employers in sales, marketing and distribution of foreign made goods, They determine our wages, we work at their discretion, and we are forcer to pay their prices for goods.

Are we economically a nation of servants?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yes, this country needs to look back at FDR and his policies, he truly was one of the best American Presidents. He took our economy which had collapsed by a large amount and turned it into the greatest economic machine the world has ever seen.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
One of the things that should concern Americans today is that while producing less we also will trade less and at the end we may lower our standards of living when the spending pot is over.

In the last 10 years manufacturing has been the second faster job losing sector in our nation, after the agricultural down fall.

While our government tells us that our jobs increases are in retail, health, leisure, hospitality, government and professional and business services . . . .

Actually the lack of alternative jobs in our nation due to outsourcing is taking away, taxes, profits and other jobs opportunities in case one job is doesn’t pay enough.

While our government tells us that education is what is needed, we have to take into consideration that saturation of certain skills jobs will made more harder for young people to find jobs in their fields.

But even education in our nation has become in danger due to foreign competition of technical jobs.

The jobs in retail and hospitality is making rich lost of foreign corporations and their share holders.

Manufacturing jobs used to support communities and used to make communities and families stay together because the jobs were enough to support families.

When the littler towns manufactures moved out people started to relocate looking for jobs closes to the cities where they could find them, most often making less that they made before.

Our nation is becoming a hot pot for profits and opportunities for everybody else but the hard working American people.

We are serving the foreign interest so they can grow and beat us down.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This didn't just happen to the US. The same exact thing happened in the UK, causing many many problems. I'd expect the same for many western nations too. Every cost is being undercut by those from less fortunate areas of the world.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
. Every cost is being undercut by those from less fortunate areas of the world.

And you know what is the worst thing about it? that we got into the mentality that this helps less fortunate nations but actualy is just making more rich the rich people that manipulates economies while making nations still be servants to the manipulators.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yes. The sad thing is the workers of those nations are being harmed beyond belief.

Anyone remember the ipod factories in the east? The description I read sounded like something out of a POW camp. Some of those girls were like 8 years old.

I will never get an ipod, and many other products that are made from poor nations.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Well that is one of the reason corporations like to seek third world countries with no many regulations for the workers.

Here in the US we have immigration to serve as slave workers for less than minimum wage.

No wonder we can not get anything done when it comes to the borders.

Somebody has to do the slave work.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
The collapse of the US Auto Industry is of great concern, companies like Toyota are doing more to help the situation than our own government is. I blame the current crisis on Alan Greenspan, he has helped engineer an economic collapse to further the cause of Globalization.

We need to be creating new plants and production facilities, funding technological and scientific progress, improving economic infrastructure, creating more nuclear power plants and creating nuclear desalination plants to solve our water shortages.

The military industrial complex has an appetite that is constantly growing and they create all the wars that they profit from. We need to impeach Bush and Cheney immediately and destroy the MIC or else we will lose this country and remain their slaves for a very long time.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
but we've grown into a knowledge based economy now....
whatever that's susposed to mean, ain't figured it out yet....something like we come up with the ideas, make the prototype, and ship it off somewhere for them to manufacture it....

makes alot of sense right? talk about lazy, I want to get paid to just sit around and think!! let my servants do all the hard work. only while you have been sitting around thinking, you've forgotten how to take you idea from thought to final product, and now your body is so fat and out of shape you couldn't do the hard work if you wanted....but, hey, you're getting lots of money, go out and eat more transfats. your servants will soon figure it out, the ideas are flowing in their head also, and they know how, and have the ability to bring it to final product....in time, they will make you useless, then turn around and play the same game with you..
and the lords will become the servants...the servants will become the lords. the continous cycle continues onward.

but hey!!! outsourcing is good for the economy!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Is like everything many argue that jobs are moved to outside the US because they are so menial that Americans would not do it.

But the truth is that the equipment used in a manufacturing plan is not cheap equipment today the machines used are million dollar piece of equipment, even some need special training to run them.

Who in their right minds will rather work as a waitress or in Wal-Mart rather than be able to manipulate, use and have the satisfaction to run a million dollar machine for higher pay?

Is just a big lie that manufacturing jobs are jobs that people would no do anymore.

It seems that the hottest jobs in our nations are sales people, waiters, attorneys, doctors and managers.

Excuse me but what happen to the technicians? Oh I forgot they are now from India. See is not the American people the one that is bailing out but is our corporate sponsored government the one that is doing this to American.

But for what purpose? Therefore, we can become the servants.

Education is the key they tell us, how is so when there are not skilled jobs because they have been subsidized by competition.

Our nation is now in oblivion, people live in a spending spree, a deceiving paradise, supported by foreign loans and incredible hunger for consumption while having a record trade deficit now almost 800 billion dollars.

Guess what In American we are also loosing the ability of producing new products.

Everything has a beginning, it has an end, and economies cannot survive on consumers alone.

We are the servants of predatory corporate practices and foreign outsourcing.

I wonder where we are heading as a nation.

[edit on 17-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The USA used to be THE nation to talk to for ANYTHING you might want (manufacturing wise), now you talk to China. I must bring up this next point though, the second largest "employer" in the USA was agriculture and ever since corporate farms have come about, in Idaho alone (documentary I saw on the pig farmers) the amount of unemployed farmers has skyrocketed out of proportions, 100,000+ family farms sold out because they lost their only source of income. One factory farm grows some 20-100,000 hogs at any given time while a familiy farm has maybe 200-300. The corporate farms have chased off not only in pork, but beef, corn, wheat, and just about everything else imaginable, even eggs.
Things are FAR worse than would like to be admitted too, and by destroying our ability to produce SUSTAINABLY we have become a VERY unsecure nation. The only thing keeping the US afloat is beating up other nations with weapons, selling weapons, and oil trade.
A nation to poor to fight you is a nation of servants indeed.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vekar
The USA used to be THE nation to talk to for ANYTHING you might want (manufacturing wise), now you talk to China.

Actually it was USA then Japan and now China, the funny thing is that Japan got tired of financing our debt and almost got his own economy bankrupt, so now China with its record trading and surplus is financing our debt.

Have we paid already Japan? I guess not.

I must bring up this next point though, the second largest "employer" in the USA was agriculture and ever since corporate farms have come about, in Idaho alone (documentary I saw on the pig farmers)

Remember when our government was paying them no to farm, so more products could be brought from South America.

But is OK we now will be getting the super highway, to finish killing what is left of the hard land.

I also think that what is keeping our nation afloat is the economic illusion we have and thanks to China funding our debt.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
We used to make steel in this country; now we make Happy Meals!

America has become one big theme park with no real industry besides WAR, our number one export.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I say we do NOT need the food imports, the South Americans need the food more and Africans too, let them export it to them.
We need:
#1: More factories (the more modern kind, and base them around being pollution free or as much as possible)
#2: A STEEL INDUSTRY! whaaa brought this up, we used to make steel, now China does it for us along with other 3rd world nations
#3: RECYCLING OF WHAT WE USE! Lets go raid the junk yards to get our steel, save on coal and the like.
#4: More solar, wind, and other RENEWABLE energy source systems, thus we can be COMPLETELY self sustaining if resources dry up on us
#5: LESS foreign imports, MORE exports
#6: Less Mc.Donalds and more mom & pop restaraunts, there is one in the town north of me, and WOW! People might sneeze at the price calling it high, but compared to Mc.Donalds I can get one HUGE burrito, a GIANT glob of pinto and another equaly as large glob of spanish rice with a tortilla and all smothered in green chile sauce that is homeade. Costs: $6.95, beat that at Mc.Donalds, this sucker keeps me (someone more than 6ft tall) full all day.
#7: NO corporate farms, we do NOT need these giant thousand acre farms that grow only one crop and pollute like crazy because of overuse of fertilizers and because the farm is non-crop rotation and destroys the land. WE NEED MORE FAMILY FARMS! THEY SUSTAINED US FOR OVER 150 YEARS WITHOUT ANY TROUBLE AT ALL! WE STILL HAD SURPLUSS IF YOU LOOK AT THE RECORDS OF EXPORTS! Such as WW2, we had trouble producing because all the farmers were drafted, yet we still managed just fine... I rest my case.
#8: NO exporting of weapons, NO exporting of technology that can be used for weapons. No bullets or tank shells either or anything of the sort, they are still components.
#9: We need more family owned business, not monopolies and corporations that only serve themselves
#10: We need to uphold the laws and taxes for once, keep them from passing the buck, and make them pay their taxes for once without passing it to the consumer.

new topics

top topics

join