It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Collider: Big Bang Machine said not to cause black hole?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Super Collider: Big Bang Machine said not to cause black hole? However, it might cause something else. What exactly? Nobody knows for sure. So my question is what the heck is the point of this thing? Yes, I know to create a type of plasma that hasn't been around since the big bang and study it. So, again my question is: What is the point? Are we playing God?

news.bbc.co.uk
Scientists have quashed suggestions that a £350m experiment planned for the autumn could cause the destruction of the Earth.

The director of the laboratory commissioning the machine says there is "no chance" of the atom-smashing experiment causing a disaster, such as a black hole that would devour the entire Earth.

Researchers have spent eight years constructing the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at the Brookhaven National Laboratory on Long Island in New York state. Its goal is to smash the nuclei of atoms together and study their wreckage to determine the fundamental properties of matter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet again, Humanity doing it's best to ruin the planet through Science. If there is even the slightest possibility of total World anihilation, isn't that a hint we probably shouldn't be doing it? Oh wait maybe that's just common sense! And, as we all know we must trust scientific procedure.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Even if the scientist thought it might cause a black hole.
Do you really think he would say so?
These people are blinded by science and stupidity.
On the other hand,maybe he really believes that it wont cause anything bad to happen.And maybe he's right.

BUT,what if he is wrong?
Hell of a thing to be wrong about.
Some things,like this,should be left alone.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Never mind, wron collider, though there is a really old thread about
this as well.

The point is the chances of some catastrophic event happening are
so miniscule that it's not even worth considering.

Besides, if no one ever took any chances we'd still be living in huts i
n tiny villages in Africa.

[edit on 1/15/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
what harm could a tiny blackhole do anyway? For danger you need a massive one. I really doubt you can create that in a thing like this.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Kinda reminds me of tests with nuclear weaponry. The scientists had no clue if the chain reaction would ever stop. They still tried it and got lucky... so to speak.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I would like to add some info to this.

I recently started readiong a book called 'Strange Matter', and it actu-
ally talked about this machine, and I'll start by saying it started working
in 2000.

Now, the bok talked about any kind of disaster that could occur, and
honestly pretty much proved the whole idea moot.

First of all to create a black hole of any magnitude, the machine would
need something on the order of ten billion times the amount of energy
it has to work with, so black holes are out.

Now, the on thing that was considered the most dangerous was a kind
of quantum 'grey goo' scenario,wherein a lump of strange matter would
be created, and even if it was, it would have to exist for a millionth of
a second atleast (which is far longer than it would exist in general), and
even than it would only be dangerous if it had a negative charge, and
it's thought that it would have a positive charge, so the possibilities of a
disaster happening that would destroy the planet or even universe are
incredibly small, in fact I'm willing to bet you have more of a chance of
a wormhole opening up and transporting you to a nude beach, than of
a disaster happening with RHIC.

[edit on 1/17/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a black hole will not be created, if they are working with ions. it will take out all the electronics, like an emp. it will also create an invisible force that will push everything away from it. the force, or machine should fly at a very high speed straight up, the ions alter the mass and carry the mass with it, when the mass, if ( you are in the circle), all the other mass is pushed away or altered so you fly thru the mass or particles. ( resulting in no G-force ). it will go so fast the naked eye will not see it , it will look like it dissappeared. inventions like, ufo technology, invisible walls or force fields, ion guns to shoot projectiles at the speed of light. ions will prevent the mass buildup that einstien states will happen and will never reach the speed of light. the ions alter the mass and transform the material, sort of scattering the materials molecules and transforming them.this scattering of the molecules will make it move, very fast.( these next items are not ion smashers) the little toy that the guy on (american anti-gravity.com) works on ions,it too flys. it creats ion wind, which lifts the small toy. we already have the ion breeze which is constructed to collect the mass like a magnet to it ( because it is built that way to collect the mass) in the air and throw a non-fan operated breeze out the front. the mass or particles are collected on the fins and clean air is thrown out. all this is a small , small part of the technology that is being constructed about ions. believe it or not you can build one yourself out of modern materials as seen on american anti-gravity. he teaches you how to build one.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Seems they ran the machine and the world is still here...

DENIED!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
One day, the curiosity of physicists is going to get them killed.

Right up till they pushed the button, they were betting each other whether or not the first atomic explosion would create a continuous chain reaction, destroying all the earth, or not.

They pushed the damned button anyway.

The truth is, they really don't know some of the things they think they know. They use mathematics to prove things, but a snapshot of a moment doesn't account for actual activities.

Statistically, you can see a number four in your solution. But that number does not reflect all the pluses and minuses that in fact may have determined that four. There may have been 15,000 numbers, both plus and minus that came out to four.

But they take the four as though that's the constant.

It isn't.

It's not what they don't know that scares the hell out of me. It's the things they know, that just aren't true.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

BUT,what if he is wrong?
Hell of a thing to be wrong about.
Some things,like this,should be left alone.

What if my egg sandwich explodes and destroys the earth? I have never made an egg sandwich before, so perhaps it is dangerous. Wouldn't the safest thing just be to avoid egg sandwiches, just in case?

Ignorance and fear.

top topics

join