It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fool me once, shame on on you, fool me - can't get fooled again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
As Bush would say.

Recently, I came around the following article (February 2003):

Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon launched a savage attack yesterday on critics of the Government's hawkish stance over Iraq, warning Britain would not 'sit idly by until hundreds or thousands are killed'.

In the clearest signal yet that conflict in the Gulf is now imminent, he warned it would be an abdication of responsibility 'on a massive scale' to do nothing about Saddam Hussein's development of weapons of mass destruction.

'There are those who will never be convinced until that missile with its weapons of mass destruction warhead is fired, or until terrorists are aided in carrying out a WMD attack on one of our cities,' Hoon warned in a message to British service people.

'By then it will be too late. The Government is not prepared to sit idly by until hundreds or thousands are killed before acting, and those who argue otherwise should look long and hard at themselves too.'

Source

If you have read it, it is not surprising at all that so many people were convinced that Saddam Hussein formed a threat on a global level but more important to us Westerners, directly.

Initially, I fully supported the war but know better know. As soon as it turned that the Saddam drama was utterly exaggerated and the so-called threat did not exist. It didn't take long for me to see through the lies we had been told and made me aware (as young adult) that we should not naively take everything we are told by our governments.

Every day is becomes more likely that ''we'' will now go to Iran, or rather, the US and Israeli Air Force will go to Iran as I don't expect Israeli or NATO boots on the ground.

After Vietnam and Iraq you would think there would be no need for a third lesson for one to see his failures.

Iran is a much bigger country, it's weaponry is much more advanced and even more inhabitants than Iraq. An attack on Iran would worsen hatred towards the US throughout the world, increase the possibility of new terrorist attacks on Western soil and results in nothing but more misery for all of us.

If you are still convinced that war to Iran is the solution to our problems you should study your history books better. In the Middle East you won't reach the goals without consensus, whether you like those countries or not you have to learn to live with them, they won't disappear.

I won't be fooled twice, will you?

[edit on 15-1-2007 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I agree. My question is why don't all the other americans see it? Are they that blinded by the media? The war was the biggest mistake we made, and I know that we shouldn't "cut and run" that we need to fix what we started but it doesn't really seem that we can do that successfully. Hell they have enough trouble running our country what makes them think they can fix another one. They have said numerous times that they were wrong in the WMD search and they were spreading democracy. I feel the problem is with the US not other countries. But what can you do about it? Until ALL of America takes a firm stand against it, it will continue.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
What I've been wondering about is how come in the UK and US the people seemed to initialy believe the brunt of the lies told to get into Iraq but in most of Europe the people started to protest and call the lies just what they are from the getgo.

Does this have to do with education? A mentality that takes war lightly? Are the US and UK easely scared? Why is this? I really want to know.

Unless we know why there were such extreem differences in reactions by the public to the propaganda and lies, we can't stop it from happening again when they finaly make the push forward for Iran and lord knows who next.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
With Iraq, the propaganda was:

Saddam was a crazy guy = Ahmanejidad is a cray guy
Saddam had nuclear weapons = Ahmanejidad have or is near having nuclear weapons
Saddam would launch against Israël and the USA = Ahmanejidad would launch against Israël and US interests
Saddam had links with Al-Qaeda = Ahmanejidad have links with Al-Qaeda

Well, if you CAN'T see a patern, the society can't do anything for you, you must consult a psychologist.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Iranian accent:"Stupid Americans with no education"

Of course it's because of what we are told by the media, that is why we are so quick to go to war. They dumb us down in school, hype us up on artificial products, sell us booze and drugs, fill our minds with gore and violence, then say let's go blow some # up!!! So sure everyone in America is all for it. We don't need wars to kill people here. Kids take guns to school daily for fun, why not take them to other countries for bigger fun. It is your constitutional right to bear arms and kill at will. We are taught from the start to kill. All they have to do is tease us with the possibility that someone could do something and everyone jumps in saying kill or be killed. It's the American way.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
To be fair to us (the masses) we were outrightly lied to by the Administration. They purposely and with intent twisted and fabricated evidence to gain support for the war. Hell, we all knew Saddam was dangerous. he had, afterall, invaded Kuwait. We reluctantly supported the war because the only information we had been given to assess the situation came from the Administration. It was bogus.

Presently there are 'interests' that seem to have a h-o for Iran. Certainly the Israelis recognize the need to get something done while GWB is in office since any subsequent administration is going to be far less likely to be quite so pro-war. I, too, fear we are on the precipice of another very costly cluster-fudge.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I hope that if this war happens, the US lose his status of superpower, that the economy crash, that Bush and his administration are brought to international court for war crimes. No US superpower, no more power to the militaro-industrial complex and a strong message to the american people to not support those war-mongerers.

This or a major change in 2008, the end of the crap coming from america, no more war, no more support of terrorists organisations, no more drugs smugling, no more support of dictatorship, no more militaro-industrial complex, no more north american union and no more police state.

You guys needs a revolution. Your government is like the Nazis, doing what they want when the general public is waking up and against it. The government is hellbent on fascism.

BTW, I would like to know what China/Russia thinks about an attack against Iran... what will they do if such a thing happen?

[edit on 15-1-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dirty_underground
Iranian accent:"Stupid Americans with no education"

My question is serious and valid. I want to know, because without knowing how that happend, we won't be able to stop it from happening again.

I'm sure that the fact 9/11 was still fresher in memory had to do with the easy persuasion of the US and UK Public, but that can't be the only reason.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I know that your question was serious. I feel my response was valid for part of the reasoning. I just thought I would open with a sarcastic remark.

According to Bush's latest remarks we couldn't stop him if we wanted to. The media will just play on the fear of the American people to gain their support. Or maybe he'll just blow up a couple more buildings.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by dirty_underground]

new topics

top topics

join