It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Elevator in Google Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
View in Google Earth

This would be awsome, to bad it wont happen in my life time.

more info here

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I thought I'd grab a screen capture and post it for those that don't have Google Earth.

I'm sure that I won't see these in my lifetime, but the concept is sound and I'm sure some of these will be built in the future.
Too many people have an interest for it not to happen.

EDIT: One more view for scale.

Those are some very massive solar panels

[edit on 14/1/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Now im saying this assuming your young, but why wouldnt this have a chance say in a good 50 or so years? Nanotechnology is expected to be out in 2020. Thats what alot of this space elevator would be built out of..

And it is HUGE. That surely cant be the expteced real size can it?

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Of course it won't be that size... That's an optical illusion.

I've just opened google Earth. I stand corrected. But I'm sure it will not be that size when it's built.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I'm sure that I won't see these in my lifetime, but the concept is sound and I'm sure some of these will be built in the future.

Don't be so sure about that. We always invariably over-estimate the progress that can be done in a decade and under-estimate the progress that can be made in a Century,(or half of one). All one has to do is look at the past 50 years as a guide.

The link below may describe a way to get their much sooner than 50 years...

New insights into Adhesives

Originally posted by semperfoo
Nanotechnology is expected to be out in 2020. Thats what alot of this space elevator would be built out of..

Nanotechnology has been in use in products for over a decade now. The very first application was anti-scratch coatings on glasses. IT has made the move into nanoscale engineering as well, they are now talking about sub 50 nanometer fabs as being the next thing to come along.

35 thousand kilometers is how long the usable part of the tether, the overall length may reach out as much as 100 thousand kilometers to increase payload through centrifugal action.

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Of course it won't be that size... That's an optical illusion.

I've just opened google Earth. I stand corrected. But I'm sure it will not be that size when it's built.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by TheBandit795]

I think what you meant to say is that it's not to scale.

I also wanted to note that big thing is probably the counterweight or a space station. The actual lifter wouldn't be that big at all.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Don't be so sure about that. We always invariably over-estimate the progress that can be done in a decade and under-estimate the progress that can be made in a Century,(or half of one). All one has to do is look at the past 50 years as a guide.

The link below may describe a way to get their much sooner than 50 years...

New insights into Adhesives

Nanotechnology is expected to be out in 2020. Thats what alot of this space elevator would be built out of..

Nanotechnology has been in use in products for over a decade now. The very first application was anti-scratch coatings on glasses. IT has made the move into nanoscale engineering as well, they are now talking about sub 50 nanometer fabs as being the next thing to come along.

35 thousand kilometers is how long the usable part of the tether, the overall length may reach out as much as 100 thousand kilometers to increase payload through centrifugal action.

Yea I knew that some nano tech has already come out. Im saying by 2020 that the more revelutionary affects of nanotech will be out/

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
wtf, how would the elevator withstand forces of nature , it being so high up in the altitute wouldnt it sway or even snap etc, how would they build it ? How thick would it have to be? What happen if there was a elevator fairlure, youd be plunging back to earth, id bring parachute along LOL seems to far fetched to me...

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by gtirlad
wtf, how would the elevator withstand forces of nature , it being so high up in the altitute wouldnt it sway or even snap etc, how would they build it ? How thick would it have to be? What happen if there was a elevator fairlure, youd be plunging back to earth, id bring parachute along LOL seems to far fetched to me...

gtirlad, check out the website below.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Is it just me or does this just seem like a REALLY big wast of money??? I know I can't be the last person on earth left with a brain in my dome. I mean unless this is being funded by "Privet Investors" then that is another story but it the worlds nations are to contribute then give me a break.

GM

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gtirlad

gtirlad, check out the website below.
en.wikipedia.org...

now it seems alot more easier to understand, thanks.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gman666
Is it just me or does this just seem like a REALLY big wast of money??? I know I can't be the last person on earth left with a brain in my dome. I mean unless this is being funded by "Privet Investors" then that is another story but it the worlds nations are to contribute then give me a break.

GM

Waste of money? So you're saying that by lowering the cost of access to space to hundreds of dollars from tens of thousands of dollars is a waste of money? That is only the estimated cost reductions from the first elevator, the second and third would lower it even further. By the end of this century the cost to LEO could be equivalent as a transatlantic flight today.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by Gman666

GM

Waste of money? So you're saying that by lowering the cost of access to space to hundreds of dollars from tens of thousands of dollars is a waste of money? That is only the estimated cost reductions from the first elevator, the second and third would lower it even further. By the end of this century the cost to LEO could be equivalent as a transatlantic flight today.

Look what I am saying is that I can think of many better ways to spend dollars then an elevator to space.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
What happens if there is a failure and the elevator crashes to the earth?

As far as nannotechnology, it exists now, its out there now, not 2029 or anything like that.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well im 21 so never know what will happen befor i die, but i wouldnt be in to big of a hurry to go on it

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
There will be no need for this elevator when they finally get those flying cars working. I know that is a sarcastic one-liner but I guess that is my way of saying this will never happen. I don't care what kind of science is put behind it. Everything works great in concept but when the construction would actually start a million unforeseen problems will destroy it. I hate to be a buzz kill but do not hold your breath waiting on this to be built guys.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
what a horrible idea. the wind would rattel the cable and the earth's gravity would pull the cable down before it had a chance. no material exist for this purpose and their is no purpose for such a space elevator.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
What would happen if you got a little way up and you got vertigo or something and you wanted to come down?

I really cant see this one happening. Aside from a joyride, it doesnt really have a practical use. Not unless Im missing something?

An elevator ride that took you somewhere, like for instance to space hotel or something but an elevator ride to where? (Space in itself, is not a place/destination)

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Here's a better question for ya. What happens if, while you're up there, the tether breaks, and the whole shabang starts floating off into space??? Now that'd suck pretty bad. As for the tethers breaking, I'm sure they would have someone on constant watch to make sure that it doesn't wear. Not to mention, I'm quite sure that there will be other anchors there as well, to keep it stable.

As for the feasability of it, it's extremely feasable, and quite cost effective. For those that don't like the idea, let me assure you that you'll be envying the person(s) responsible for making it when we need a quick escape route in the event that an asteroid is on a collision course with us. It's always nice to have a backup plan. And since space is our next stop, we need a good starport anyway. What better time than now?

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soitenly
what a horrible idea. the wind would rattel the cable and the earth's gravity would pull the cable down before it had a chance.

If they can get it into something like a geosynchronous orbit, it won't be pulled back down. It will remain in orbit.

no material exist for this purpose and their is no purpose for such a space elevator.

Such a project has tremendous possibilities. You don't need rockets to get into space. You just load stuff into the space elevator, and pull it up into space.

Having a space elevator do for space what railroads did for the west, you can move more material, people, and capital into and out of it with ease.

But, again, I really have to wonder at what hapens when something that massive and that large fails, enters a decaying orbit, and eventually crashes into the ground.

I recall reading a book by Kim Stanely Robbinson about a colony on Mars that ends up having a space elevator, it crashes, is massively destructive, and was so long that it ends up wrapping around the planet like the line for the equator on a globe.

jra

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

It would fly out into space actually. Imagine yourself while spinning around, while holding onto a string with something tied to the end of it. When you let go it flies out away from you. Same thing would happen here I believe.

Originally posted by Soitenly
no material exist for this purpose and their is no purpose for such a space elevator

The material is being developed and improved. They are Carbon Nanotubes. They are very strong and light weight.

And no purpose? Hmm lets think. Use an elevator to put up a satellite or use a big, heavy, expensive and wasteful rocket? That should be a no-brainer. One could also probably construct a ship in orbit and leave it parked there, so all that needs to go up and down would be the crew and supplies on the elevator.

I don't see one being constructed for some time yet, but it would definitely be very useful. Especially if one has to support a Lunar colony. One could probably send up more supplies and a much lower cost.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join