It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY pocket knife

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Not the safest thing in the world but pretty cool non the less
DIY 2 blade pocket knife

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
No.

Some thing that is not safe is not cool. Sorry angry, but if my arse was in the fire, I'd want some thing alot more substantial than this contraption.

Not having a personal dig at you at all far from it - i just don't want folks thinking that your life can rely on a piece of DIY work..

A cooker, a fire, a shelter, these can all be rough and ready at a push, but a knife? no, that must be the one thing that you must never scrimp on.

It may save your ass one day, and then you'll thank me for sounding so mean in your thread.

Cheers, DK.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You dont sound mean and I agree mostly with what you say, I would never skimp on a knife but still think its neat and in a pinch well ya do what you have to.

if my arse was in the fire, I'd want some thing alot more substantial than this contraption.

Its not meant as a replacement but if you dont have a knife and its the only alternative well you get the picture.

Ime thinking keeping the teeth on and using it as a small saw around my workshop would be just fine

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
yeah i get ya point...for having in the pocket and maybe doing a odd little job around the workshop maybe...

but really, if people are this needy of a folding saw e-bay sell fantastic ones for 4 dollars!

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think some of you are missing the point here. The concept seems to be ..if you had no tool..could you fabricate one and make do.

How may of us could fabricate even a fixed blade knife??

This is about as simple as it gets though fixed blade would probably be simpler.

The lesson here is could we fabricate if need be.

Yes it is good to purchase a stash of knived fixed blade as well as folders and set them aside.

But could we fabricate if need be??

My thanks to AngryAmerican for this post.

Orangetom

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They have the blades already.. so I don't get where your coming from. Yes it is a cool 'can you do it' exercise, but one that takes up far far more of your time than grabbing that good quality knife from off the racks ?

Its great to see people make stuff like this, but it really isn't needed unless all real knives get whisked into the sky by a red tractor beam..

There will be blades aplenty around.

My point is there will be more knives floating about a destroyed city than there will be power sources for the grind stone needed to shape the blade from saw tooth to fixed.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Interesting. In a pinch I suppose, but otherwise...eh, I think not. Not when for a few bucks more, you can buy a very good one on line or at Walmart (ewwwww).

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Interesting. In a pinch I suppose, but otherwise...eh, I think not. Not when for a few bucks more, you can buy a very good one on line or at Walmart (ewwwww).

In a pinch is why I posted it. I agree in a wrecked city there will be knives all around.

aww never mind its not worth the agravation of trying to explane it. Ya either get it or ya dont.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Oh, I understood what you meant, AA. Just not for me, is all. It was interesting though, and something that for some strange reason hadn't occured to me...make your own little knife.

It just occured to me that you may have misconstrued the (ewwwww) I used to mean about your idea. Not so. I was directing it at the idea of purchasing anything at Walmart (shudder). If that's the case I apologize.

[edit on 17-1-2007 by seagull]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Oh, I understood what you meant, AA. Just not for me, is all.

Nor me but its yet another example of the true injanutiy of man and what can be done with a little thought.

It was interesting though, and something that for some strange reason hadn't occured to me...make your own little knife.

I to had never thought of making a kinfe, like I said in a bost above I will have one in my shop now but ime keeping the teeth on and using it for a little saw.

It just occured to me that you may have misconstrued the (ewwwww) I used to mean about your idea. Not so. I was directing it at the idea of purchasing anything at Walmart (shudder). If that's the case I apologize.

No it wasn't the case at all so no apologies necessary.

I came to this thread from another ware a guy was on there calling anybody who grew up with TV fools. Ime just a little upset lately about the Superior then thow attitude of some poster on ATS as a whole. Terms like sheeples floats around regularly. Who are we to group those outside of ATS as some how being inferior. They talk about the NWO all the time on here. The way some of the folks on here talk they consider them self's above just like this supposed NWO considers themselves above. SO I was upset before I came here and broke the number one rule think before you post.

The power of ATS is awesome but we are not above those who are not on ATS. These people are our friends and family's that alot of folks on here consider useless lumps of flab willing to follow every little breeze that comes along. Maybe ime an idealist but I refuse to let myself think of humanity as being that absent minded. These folks go to work every day and eat drink are happy and sad have there good points and bad to. There just normal folk not sheeples. they had to chose to believe in something so they chose the system. They are no more wrong or right then we are just different.

SO you see why I cut myself off like I did. Just for the record I hate walmart to but they carry more for less so I use it but I don't like it. So this got off topic just had to vent some ware with like minded folks.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
My freind, I agree wholeheartedly.

Enjoy this sparkly razor sharp Way Above. May it be useful.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Angry American
Well said, its something I to had noticed and have tried to change in my rare postings.

You have voted angryamerican for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

new topics

top topics

join