It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bookstores and "new age"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Does it seem as though the new age-spiritual/conspiracy sections in large bookstores are just about always by the seats (where people grab media and read)? Is this to make people feel uncomfortable looking at that section?

I know places like Barnes&nobles, borders, booksamillion want your business, so it does sound silly, but with various layouts (i.e. history is on the back wall or in the middle)of stores for the same company- the new age section is always by the chairs. (i'm sure there are examples where this isn't true, but I've been around the US a bit, and it seems that way, plus I've only been thinking about this recently in 1 city)

Sorry, not sure if deflection was the appropriate place for this. Also, I don't have much of a theory, how widespread this is or who wants this done.
Just wondering if anyone else has seen it (or not)...thoughts please...?

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's crazy that you would say that because I noticed the very same thing while shopping at B&N this holiday season.

Not to mention their partnership with Starbucks. (If you do an ATS search, you'll find a few threads suggesting links between the popular coffee shop and the NWO, if you believe in that sort of thing.)

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
That is exactly how it is in Barnes & Nobles here in NY stores too.

Strange.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Borders,Barnes n noble,etc have all been like this in my experience. I have never thought about it though. As far as not wanting people to see me, nah I could care less. What is to sweat anyway, it's just religion. I know some of the books tossed in there are absolute silly and would not be seen holding it but there is some great books in there as well. The biggest problem I had was some nutter always approached me at a Detroit store. He didn;t work there or anything but was trying to use these creepy ice breakers to sell me some kind of religion. He was always asking what I am looking for or reading. Finally after a few visits he got the hint. I was hoping he was gonna question my beliefs or reading material so I could leave him baffled and maybe convert him to heresy. lol. Started wearing my Masonic ball cap after that, give em some fuel if he attempted. heh.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Very interesting, I guess now that you mention it... I've come to realise that aswell.

Strange stuff.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
That could be true...

They oughtta think of something better than that though if they want it to work... It never makes me feel even slightly uncomfortable. At the Borders nearest to me its by the chairs and directly in front of that circular information counter thing that most of those stores have.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
has anyone read the celestine prohpecy?

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Not like that here in mid MO. it's right next to the religion section and music section, which i found interesting, they put it in with Philosophy and Religion (mostly eastern Religions) which is also sorta interesting if you think about it. (at least it is to me)

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Here at the local Books A Million (southern chain) New Age is next to Self Help....

...and Conspiracy is intermingled with the Social Sciences and Popular Culture areas.

Odd.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Here at the local Books A Million (southern chain) New Age is next to Self Help....

...and Conspiracy is intermingled with the Social Sciences and Popular Culture areas.

Odd.

Sounds like the way it should be.

I also don't like the way the stores merge every odd thing in that one spot. Alternative history or theories should be in history or social sciences. Wicca in religion. Spirituality type stuff should go in religion or philosophy or self help.

Anyway, about half the time I get negative stares and it does make me feel uncomfortable, but I continue to look anyway, because I don't care if they think I'm a satanist, hippie, psuedoscience believing idiot. But, others might.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ok I was in Prescott az. last fall sitting drinking a Starbucks and I noticed from my seat that the books across from this little cafe area were new age. What caught my eye was a big black book with a purple pentagram. I then noticed that the rest were occult type books. I thought to myself, seems like they would have those hidden out of sight from the main stream. What do you think this could mean?

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I think the big deceit in the New-Age movement is the ideology that we find in the secret... that thoughts create reality. What this does is continue to disable people from actively trying to change and enabling our laziness, so instead of actively and agressively challenging authority, we shy away and "think" it away. It is keeping us sheep-like. We are just deceiving ourselves because we think we're intelligent just because we can think.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
In the shop near me the conspiracy section is downstairs with the fiction.

Annoying, to say the least.

top topics

join