It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Prostate Cancer Treatment Shortens Penis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The average penis length was 5.6 inches, and shortened to 3.4 inches average after 18 months - in a study of 47 men receiving cancer therapy at the University of Ankara in Turkey. Plus, half the men who were able to have an erection before treatment lost that ability. The men received "combination treatment with hormone therapy plus radiation."

today.reuters.co.uk
Men who receive combination treatment with hormone therapy plus radiation for local or locally advanced prostate cancer may experience a significant reduction in penile length, according to a report in the January issue of the Journal of Urology.

Just before treatment began, the average stretched penile length was 5.6 inches. Eighteen months later, the average penile length had shortened significantly to 3.4 inches.

Erectile function was also adversely affected by treatment.
Roughly 23 percent of men had normal erectile function before therapy. Eighteen months later, 12.5 percent were able to have an erection that was suitable for intercourse.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm stunned.

I thought they only did things like this to women.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
I'm stunned.

I thought they only did things like this to women.

What do you mean by that?

I do not find it strange, hormonal treatment can make big changes in the body.

My father died of prostate cancer and the treatment he had was based on hormones to change the prostate functioning.

As a result of the treatment its normal to loose all of the body hair and some men even have a little growth of the breasts.

This is all a consequence of the hormones, I do not know what consequences the radiation can have.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I'm not sure I understand the mechanics. How would this happen?

For those who were alos wondering:

There are a variety of ways to provide hormone treatments. Hormone treatment might be given as medicines in the form of injections or pills. Drug therapy is used to stop the testicles from producing testosterone and protect cells from any other androgens that remain in the body. Hormone treatment might include:

* The use of various hormones such as estrogen to counter the effects of testosterone
* The use of drugs that block the activity of male hormones
* The use of combined hormone therapy that decreases testosterone production from the testicles as well as from glands located on the kidneys — called adrenal glands — that produce hormones

www.clevelandclinic.org...

And another concern of this hormone treatment is the increased risk of diabetes:
prostatecancer.about.com...

A popular class of hormone treatment drugs for prostate cancer appear to increase the risk of diabetes according to research published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

www.usatoday.com...

For the first time, research shows that hormone therapy, a common treatment for prostate cancer, can raise the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Experts say the study suggests that doctors should be cautious when prescribing the drugs, especially to men with limited disease and a long life expectancy, who may have the least to gain and the most to lose from the treatment.

*snip*

Research has never proved that hormone therapy can help men with less extensive disease, Keating says. Yet more and more men treated with surgery or radiation for "local" or "regional" tumors — those confined to the prostate or nearby lymph nodes — are taking hormone therapy if blood tests suggest their cancer may have returned, she says. Many of these men have no signs of the disease other than a cancer-related protein in their blood, called PSA.

It looks to me that men are finding out what women have begun to learn: hormone treatments often have serious side-effects.

join