It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Files For Republican Presidential Bid 08'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Ron Paul, a nine-term southern Texas congressman, has taken the first steps toward a presidential bid for 2008. Unlike in 1988, when he ran as a libertarian, this time he will be running as a republican. Ron Paul is expected to announce his presidential bid formally in a week or two.

www.dfw.com
HOUSTON - Ron Paul, the iconoclastic nine-term congressman from southeast Texas, took the first step Thursday toward launching a second presidential bid in 2008, this time as a Republican.

Paul filed incorporation papers in Texas on Thursday to create a presidential exploratory committee that allows him and his supporters to collect money on behalf of his bid. This will be Paul's second try for the White House; he was the Libertarian nominee for president in 1988.

He describes himself as a lifelong Libertarian running as a Republican.

"This is going to be a grassroots American campaign," he said. "For us, it's either going to happen at the grassroots level or it's not."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I must say I am rather surprised. Just earlier tonight I had said on ATS chat I would never vote republican or democrat because it would be a waste of my vote and something I wouldn't agree with. If Ron Paul were to be the presidential candidate (though unlikely) I would have to change my stance this once simply because I respect Ron Paul more then almost any other politician. He is definately an underdog, but I wish him the best of luck.

He is what america needs for change. Running under the republican slot may give him a shot if he wins the primary.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I wonder why he elected to change to Republican?

I would have voted for him as a Libertarian, but I not sure I would as a Republican. Ron Paul has stood tall in the Congressional Hall many times to speak out for our Constitutional Rights. I'll watch him closely to see how he sways.

Minus the Republican party....

Ron Paul

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hmm I think its the same him, but he is just aware he has a much better chance if the R is in front of his name. I won't say vote party lines, because that is rather rediculous, though most the time I side with Libertarian party.

He is a libertarian more then a republican though, so it will be hard to say if they will nominate him. They most likely wont because hes too libertarian and not republican enough, but if they do, I will be too tempted to vote for him. Sorry George Phillies.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It's a shame that he needs to file as a Republican, but we are voting the man, not the party. The way the campaign laws are written, it is almost impossible for a third party candidate to win. Too bad the two amin parties are so insecure with their ideas.

FWIW, I was watching the ABC Evening News. They had a segment on those running in '08. Obama, Clinton, Guiliani, McCain. and a few others were mentioned.

Guess who's name was absent from the story?
Either the news report was poorly researched, or we may see that MSM will avoid certain candidates, or.......

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well it was initially reported by the AP, so I don't think it would be poorly researched, but you never know.

hosted.ap.org

HOUSTON (AP) -- Rep. Ron Paul, the iconoclastic, nine-term lawmaker from southeast Texas, took the first step Thursday toward a second, quixotic presidential bid - this time as a Republican.

Paul filed papers in Texas to create a presidential exploratory committee that will allow him to raise money. In 1988, Paul was the Libertarian nominee for president and received more than 400,000 votes.

Well I think they are just avoiding Ron Paul hoping he doesn't get enough press to be considered by people. There is a reason Ron Paul said it would be a grassroots campaign or not at all I guess. Probably because media is going to avoid him.

Mod Edit: Link format edited. Please review this post.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'd definately vote for him if I was a U.S. citizen entitled to vote.

He's the one who speaks up against the fed in congress. Just check out the speech he made last year about the dollar hegemony:

Ron Paul: The End of Dollar Hegemony (+ video)

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
He's just about the only well-known politican I could trust.
If he gets the nomination, it would be the first time in YEARS that I could say I voted FOR a candidate.
I hope his campaign catches on, it could be very exciting.

I just don't think he's on the "A" lisst of Those Who Rule

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infoholic

Apparently, he wants something more than the proverbial snowball's chance to win.

I like libertarianism, but I have ever been impressed with Libertarians.

I don't know much about Paul, but I will be checking out his record.

[edit on 2007/1/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I checked out his site, and what he stood for, and his credentials as a field doctor during Vietnam and all that jazz.

I guess he went Republican, since capital hill doesnt take kindly to 3rd party types.

But I say this man is a go. Even Alex Jones likes him...

Ron Paul voted against the Patriot Act, opposes the draft, advocates the abolition of the income tax, urges the re-introduction of the gold standard, and stands against initiatives to strip the U.S. of its sovereignty such as CAFTA and the FTAA.

From reforming Marijuana laws, to supporting an unregulated Internet, to supporting the 2nd amendment, Ron Paul hits home with keystone populist issues across the board.

www.infowars.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yeah Republican or not, Ron Paul is is one of the last principled politicians on the national scene, and possibly the only one with a consistent record of fighting for civil liberties.

If by some miracle he got the nomination, I'd vote for him.

Of course the fundamentalists in the GOP will eat him alive

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

It's possible he did it to try to get included in some of the candidate's debates. NH, for example is having Republican and Democrat candidates debate night on April 4 and 5.

If he were a libertarian, that may exclude him from those debates. Hopefully, he will be included, so we can learn more about him.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I like Ron Paul as well, from what I know about him, which isn't too much. I liked him better as a third party to be honest, I wouldn't want him getting voted in and then realizing it's time to pay the people who really got him in.

Perhaps he's doing this to be included in some of the debates, to get some exposure. Maybe he's not really expecting to be voted in as a Republican, maybe he's expecting to lose the Republican nomination and then use his new exposure and name recognition to run as a Libertarian. Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
I like Ron Paul as well, from what I know about him, which isn't too much. I liked him better as a third party to be honest, I wouldn't want him getting voted in and then realizing it's time to pay the people who really got him in.

Perhaps he's doing this to be included in some of the debates, to get some exposure. Maybe he's not really expecting to be voted in as a Republican, maybe he's expecting to lose the Republican nomination and then use his new exposure and name recognition to run as a Libertarian. Just a thought.

That's actually a great thought. And it would be amazing if he were to do so.

Because Everyone I talk to, has no idea who he is, and they think everything he represents, is a impossible... He really needs to get out there, and show people why the f**k America used to be seen as a great country.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I am from Texas and I don't really don't know a lot about Ron Paul.. I have heard even Republicans say that he seems to be the only viable candidate for the Republican party. I am holding out on my opinion until I know something about him.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I am from Texas and I don't really don't know a lot about Ron Paul.. I have heard even Republicans say that he seems to be the only viable candidate for the Republican party. I am holding out on my opinion until I know something about him.

That statement reads to me, "I am holding out my opinion (until someone makes it for me)"

His voting record is public. You can find his speeches on YouTube. You'll be able to find out more about this guy than most of the people in congress.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I would have voted for him as a Libertarian, but I not sure I would as a Republican.

Sometimes the party means nothing. I think in this case it means nothing except that he'll get more $$$ or exposure or something.

Ahhhhnold is allegedly a republican, but the governator runs California more like a democrat.

Lieberman is a dem, but ran Independent.

Ron Paul is Libertarian. The change is superficial and I'm sure he has no loyalty to the Republican party.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Ahhhhnold is allegedly a republican, but the governator runs California more like a democrat.

Bush claims to be Republican...if he is, he certainly isn't a conservative Republican..

df1

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Ron Paul is Libertarian. The change is superficial and I'm sure he has no loyalty to the Republican party.

The Republican ideology of constitutional government, balanced budgets, lower taxes and small government died in 1964 with Barry Goldwaters presidential loss to LBJ, since that time the GOP has gradually abandoned its core values bit by bit. Ron Paul is more loyal to these traditional Republican values than any other living Republican. It is outrageous that you would question his loyalty.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

The Republican ideology of constitutional government, balanced budgets, lower taxes and small government died in 1964 with Barry Goldwaters presidential loss to LBJ, since that time the GOP has gradually abandoned its core values bit by bit. Ron Paul is more loyal to these traditional Republican values than any other living Republican. It is outrageous that you would question his loyalty.

Come on, man. You knew he meant loyalty to the current traitors claiming to be republican in the office right now. If only Republicans were conservative again...sigh

new topics

top topics

join