It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI has received multiple extraterrestrial signals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Anyone heard more info on this? Is it true?

Dr. Greer on SETI signals

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
He says he has confirmation from 'this guy', (then sites two sources) for multiple contacts, but doesn't want to give the guys name. Or the evidence for the signals.
Or anything else.

Seems like standard operating procedure for Greer.

And then he claims that the NSA or some other agency is 'jamming' the signals.

And then he says that the signals are 'increasing in frequency'. So aliens from billions of light years away, sent out radio transmission from their homeplanet, which took billions of years to reach earth, and then 'increase in frequency' over a time scale of what, a few years?

Nonsense. Any putative aliens wouldn't even know about earth, let alone that, at this exact moment in time, there was intelligent life on it, AND that it was specficially monitoring space for intelligent signals. It doesn't make sense to suggest that they sent out a signal that rapidly increases in frequency, and that we just happened to be looking for signals in the first place.

I think that this shows the Greer might not even understand what SETI is. Its not looking for a new signal, or a 'communicative' signal (which is what he calls it).

Its scientists realizing that man-made radio transmissions will extend far, far, out into space. And that if there was an intelligent, technological civilization somewhere else, their signals would've extended out into space, just like mans. SO if we look for such signals, we might find that we're awash with it.

NOT that we'll start looking, someone will say 'hey look, the humans are ready' and then start sending us a signal, like a telephone call or something.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
He says he has confirmation from 'this guy', (then sites two sources) for multiple contacts, but doesn't want to give the guys name. Or the evidence for the signals.
Or anything else.

And then he says that the signals are 'increasing in frequency'. So aliens from billions of light years away, sent out radio transmission from their homeplanet, which took billions of years to reach earth, and then 'increase in frequency' over a time scale of what, a few years?

Nonsense. Any putative aliens wouldn't even know about earth, let alone that, at this exact moment in time, there was intelligent life on it, AND that it was specficially monitoring space for intelligent signals. It doesn't make sense to suggest that they sent out a signal that rapidly increases in frequency, and that we just happened to be looking for signals in the first place.

I think that this shows the Greer might not even understand what SETI is. Its not looking for a new signal, or a 'communicative' signal (which is what he calls it).

Its scientists realizing that man-made radio transmissions will extend far, far, out into space. And that if there was an intelligent, technological civilization somewhere else, their signals would've extended out into space, just like mans. SO if we look for such signals, we might find that we're awash with it.

NOT that we'll start looking, someone will say 'hey look, the humans are ready' and then start sending us a signal, like a telephone call or something.

ahahaha. :lol
amn you are entertaining.

What if the signals are coming from behind our moon, mars or one of the moons of our nearby planets?

Once more, i'm hoping someday you will get out of your closet Nygdan. I hope it strongly.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Did Greer ever follow up with more info on the matter?

Did SETI ever make a statement regarding the claim?

It's a shame to hear so many bad things about Greer, the Disclosure Project is how I ended up here looking for more info...

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tock
What if the signals are coming from behind our moon, mars or one of the moons of our nearby planets?

Since SETI isn't looking for signals from within the solar system, its not going to be detecting them.

Once more, i'm hoping someday you will get out of your closet Nygdan. I hope it strongly.

Miah

I don't recall, but certainly it was either 'he's bonkers' or they made no announcement at all. That is to say, we'd've heard it if it was a 'yes'.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miah

Seth Shostak (Senior Astronomer of the SETI Institute) responded on Coast to Coast AM radio. The relevant comments can be played on the webpage below:
www.ufocasebook.com...

(By the way Miah, I hope you don't mind me pointing out that "SETI" is a field of science, not a specific group or company. Asking whether "SETI" responded is a bit like asking whether "biology" commented.
)

Kind Regards,

Isaac

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
even though i do beleive that seti has recieve3d signals, what greer has come out with is just hearsay, just cannot be proven.

seti has to think about money coming in, and if they go against the government in any way, they would loose all funding, even though it is supposed to be privtae funding.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

Seth Shostak (Senior Astronomer of the SETI Institute) responded on Coast to Coast AM radio. The relevant comments can be played on the webpage below:
www.ufocasebook.com...

(By the way Miah, I hope you don't mind me pointing out that "SETI" is a field of science, not a specific group or company. Asking whether "SETI" responded is a bit like asking whether "biology" commented.
)

Kind Regards,

Isaac

Isaac,

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that you just called it "SETI Institute", and the link ends with "setiresponds.html". So I think you just proved yourself wrong twice.

Thanks though.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Isaac,

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that you just called it "SETI Institute", and the link ends with "setiresponds.html". So I think you just proved yourself wrong twice.

Miah -

I said the comments were made by Seth Shostak of the "SETI Institute". They were.

I said the comments could be heard on a webpage with a link ending "setiresponds.html". They were. The webpage is NOT that of the SETI Institute.

Isaac

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Just a bit anal there, don't cha think?

The audio at that link seems to be broken, the audio cuts off early. Anyone have a link to the full response?

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

if we are descending into pedantic mineatiae , please bear in mind that there is far more to the SETI program than the seti insitute

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
even though i do beleive that seti has recieve3d signals, what greer has come out with is just hearsay, just cannot be proven.

seti has to think about money coming in, and if they go against the government in any way, they would loose all funding, even though it is supposed to be privtae funding.

It could probably be proven in an congress hearing or in Court. Without that, it's not worth risking the life/work position his contacts. Especially not just for the sake of making people of this board happy.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by tock]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Anyone heard more info on this? Is it true?

Dr. Greer on SETI signals

Not true. And SETI is not a monolithic entity or an authority. You're referring to a specific SETI project run through SETI@Home (in which I participate myself), and that project has yet to find anything that could be found again on a repeat viewing. Repeatability is important in science.

But you'll believe Greer instead, because he says that some authorities are hiding something from you. I feel sorry for you people. I honestly hope you never become authorities in anything yourselves. One, because I wouldn't want conspiracy believers to be in charge of ANYTHING. And two, because if you folks were authorities, you wouldn't even believe yourselves.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The day Seti will confirm signals will also be the day that the american government decides to do an open and full disclosure! THAT MEANS NOT FOR A VERY, VERY LONG TIME FROM NOW, IF EVER! Get real people! Seti is still under the direct NASA control eventhough they claim to be corporate sponsored! The corporations are front companies that sleep with the government and rule with the government. Where do you think the election campaign money comes from?!

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Nonsense.

And you think that S.Greer would make a stupid claime like that so you and me and other people there would catch his stupidity?

Your're not serious are you???

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Sophismata, if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, other than a criticism of your fellow posters, then why bother?

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
)

SETI is not a field of science. It IS a group.

ignorant_ape
please bear in mind that there is far more to the SETI program than the seti insitute

SETI is an organization, that many people take part in. It makes perfect sense to ask "What was SETI's response".

tock
It could probably be proven in an congress hearing or in Court.

Either he has 4 signals that can be shown to be from extraterrestrials or he doesn't. And a court certainly wouldn't ever determine that.

SkepticGreek74
Seti is still under the direct NASA control eventhough they claim to be corporate sponsored!

Anyone that is working at the SETI project could independantly come out with their findings. Indeed, that IS what is going to happen should people at SETI ever get a signal. They are not an authority. THey are simply a group that is looking for a signal. If they find it, they will announce it, and then publish their results in scientific journals. If a person was working with SETI and had a good signal, then they'd publish it. They wouldn't not publish it, but then leak it to Greer, of all people, hoping for a congressional hearing.

Telos
And you think that S.Greer would make a stupid claime like that so you and me and other people there would catch his stupidity?

Perhaps you should listen to the video. That IS what he is claiming. SETI does NOT look for signals from in our solar system or 'behind the moon'. It targets areas of deep space. Greer is claiming that SETI just started to receive signals, AND that they are increasing in frequency.

top topics

join