It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

yes, metallica is releasing a new album

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Rick Rubin Producing New Metallica Album

Metallica has drafted Rick Rubin to produce its next studio album, work on which is underway at the band's California headquarters. In a post on its official Web site, the band confirms Rubin "has been coming by the studio every now and again to listen to some of our new stuff and throw his two/three cents in."

billboard.com...

do you know anything not found here? title rumors? song rumors?
post what you know.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by conspiracymaster]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hopefully they get back to their roots, like Ride The Lightning.

I hope they don't make another saint anger.:shk:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Hopefully they get back to their roots, like Ride The Lightning.

I hope they don't make another saint anger.:shk:

SAME HERE. saint anger was crap. i hope they dont make any more crap!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ride the lightning
And justice for all
Master of puppets
Kill em all

good albums!

It all went downhill from there. Metallica used to be a good band.
Shame.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
i think they explored and nailed the music they were looking for and laid out.
i think now (as well with many musicians) that they have so many walls, and rules set up for making a "metallica" song, that it all just gets wrecked in the process.

if they could go back to their earlier style, that would be amazing. but i bet they didn't.
-- i just think for the dynamics of this band, the day has come and gone.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The problem started when the bassist complained that he was being drowned out by the guitars, so down went the volume and down went the aggressiveness on the guitars.
Then the final nail was driven with the guy who was their producer changed their sound on the enter sandman album. They went for a cleaner, stripped down sound, suitable for radio.

Enter sandman, not a bad song, but doesn't hold a candle to their old stuff IMO.

Hate it when metal bands go soft!

Oh well, at least there is still Megadeth and Motorhead!

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Lars is ruining this band, did anybody see Some kind of Monster?

He acts like his drumming is supposed to be the main instrument, what a crock.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Ride the lightning
And justice for all
Master of puppets
Kill em all

good albums!

It all went downhill from there. Metallica used to be a good band.
Shame.

Amen to that!
Sold out right after that.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The band was unhappy with how Justice came out.

Without Bob Rock they would likely have either split up, or at the very least released a pitiful album due to the incompatibilities between Lars and James.

So the choice was either bring someone on board who could balance Jason's need to have his bass play a more prominent role and simultaneously keep the divas in check, OR try to release another album using a formula that the band themselves got sick of.

It's very nice that some fans prefer the older albums. Unfortunately it was over. Hey I'd like to see GnR back on stage (the real band) but that ain't happening either.

Many people accuse Metallica of "selling out". I find the opposite to be true. They no longer liked what they were doing and they had to adjust. That's called doing what you believe. In other words, the opposite of selling out.

Don't take it the wrong way, I think St. Anger was a terrible album for the band, Load and Reload were mediocre... but there is a Metallica.

What do I do? Every time they come to the NorthEast US I go to their shows sit back and enjoy songs like Fade to Black and remember the old days.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I first thought oh they just changed theire minds about what they want to make. After some kind of monster and youtube vids of theire new songs i think otherwise. They have a discussion of how other metal bands have no solo's and they should do it too then. On youtube you can see some new songs which they performed live. These songs are clearly influenced by the current populair form of metal: metalcore. I dont want a band that changes according to whats "in". I want them to make stuff and ignore the outside world.

At least megadeth is coming with a new album aswell.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Metallica's sucked for the last ten years or so. If I were them I'd wrap it up and retire and not embarrass themselves any more. The faster they do that the faster a greatest hits album comes out which I'll be waiting for intently.

Peace

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
As anything else, I'll give it the light of day. I am skeptical, to say the least, that this album will be nothing more than another "St Anger". I don't see my Metallica folder on the iPod play list growing any time soon. I think I'll remember them for who they were, and not who they've become.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Its worse than st anger if those 3 songs that you can hear on youtube are actually getting on the album.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I heard they're putting out a country album.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
At first when I saw this thread I thought, "Cool! Another album!" Then right away, I thought "Oh no, another album...."

I agree that their old stuff was so much better. But isn't that what happens to most bands? When you're younger you have more anger and rebellion inside and it shows through your music. Now that the band is seeing a shrink and getting in touch with their feeeeelings, they've wussed out and that shows in their music too.

I also think that when a band becomes more commercial it hurts the music. They try to take out that rawness so it's more appealing to a larger audience and more radio friendly. Unfortunately, it may get them heard more, but the music suffers for it.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Actually not all bands get like metallica. For example Death became better with each release.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
I agree that their old stuff was so much better. But isn't that what happens to most bands? When you're younger you have more anger and rebellion inside and it shows through your music. Now that the band is seeing a shrink and getting in touch with their feeeeelings, they've wussed out and that shows in their music too.

I agree their older stuff rawks harder, and for the same reasons...young energetic rebellious angry guys just take it all out- and take you with them...and doesn't that feel so good?

Ah yes...but to do the same old thing for how many years?...and winding up alcoholic drug addicts with broken relationships...and then having to look their children in the eye and realize...life is about more than just music...

they can't live their lives stunted for us and our amusement.

and so they evolve, mature...but certainly not in the same directions-there is the tragedy.

With age and much experience comes maturity (we hope)...it isn't wussing out to simply mature, or redefine what you want from life or your musical expression...

BUT when it doesn't mesh with your other bandmates and their personal progression in life and what direction they are going or want to musically...then everyone has to compromise a little *sigh*

Then, the purity of the expression of the music is then compromised as well- and it's obvious to the listeners....and to them-and don't think it doesn't depress them to put out half-assed compromised music.

they can no longer churn out the same type and intensity of rock without the same ingredients.

oh, and the band had a shrink come in just as a mediator between James and Lars mostly-and it wasn't very welcomed really. Didn't help much either...Hetfield STILL ended up falling off the wagon and went into in rehab- again. I think he just pretty recently got out.

I don't think Metallica will ever be the same as the earlier days and it's a shame....but it's also nearly unfair for us to expect it of them.

[edit on 16-1-2007 by 2l82sk8]

[edit on 16-1-2007 by 2l82sk8]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I have nothing against them making less loud music. However it needs to be good and to many of theire songs after that just didnt sound very well. They were just songs. Ofcourse there are a few gems in the rubbish of post black album.

I can name several other bands which also made less heavy/speedy metal after a time but none of them started to make sucky songs.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
Actually not all bands get like metallica. For example Death became better with each release.

+1000

my vote goes for slayer on this one. these guys just keep it going and within high / tasteful standards.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
If this one sucks I'm done with them. I was so sad when they were playing Metallica on the pop rock station here in NY (Z-100). My first thought was that it must have been a radio gag but it wasn't 10 year old girls were requesting their music?!?!?!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join